Shout Out to Oak & Anchor BBQ!

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hey everyone,

I'm and SE PA guy who recently moved to norther SD county CA. Been a BBQ fan & enthusiast for a several years, still learning.

So many different styles and flavors. I had my first experience w/ Northern TX hill country BBQ yesterday. Saw an interview w/ owner and pit master of Oak & Anchor BBQ on the local morning SD news a couple days ago. He's a 22 yr disabled Navy vet who runs a fully mobile BBQ business. He had a great personality and obviously loves BBQ & BBQing. The interviewer opened his wood fired pit and got smoke in his eyes. Chris, the pit master said, "...it doesn't just get in you eyes, it gets into your soul". At that point I knew I needed to meet him.

Looked him up and found he has a circuit of pop ups he does around the county. My wife, a neighbor and I caught up w/ him yesterday near Encinitas. I picked his brain and watched him work. What a genuine, down to earth, warm and friendly person, and so were his wife and daughter. I have a new appreciation for mobile operations. One must learn to be very organized and efficient.

He kept things very simple. He does everything w/ his own rub, low & slow (225) over oak. His home made sauce on the side if you like, hot or sweet. His custom pit was very cool. Large fire box that he quite obviously had totally dialed in. I was there for two hours and I didn't see him touch the fire once.

The food:The ribs were my wife's favorite, like everything, they were tender enough but still had a good bite to them. I liked the hot sausage but I love pretty much all sausage. His brisket was subtally flavorful, beefy, moist & tender enough, but not as much as I am used to. I got a 1/4 of a chicken, dark meat. The smoke was there, but subtle, complex, and the rub and the smoke created an amazing color and bark. My wife never liked smoked chicken until yesterday. She now loves it. I've got some work to do learning how to smoke chicken like that.

If you are in or visit San Diego County, I highly recommend that you them them out.

All for now.

Best regards.
JD

I’m glad I found this before it left the first page of qtalk, I never would’ve see it here…

I wasn’t sure where to post this.
When it got moved, I was worried I unknowingly violated some policy here.
His chicken inspired me.
Gonna start a post about it.
Best regards my friends.
JD

Great review!

I hear good things about Grande Ole BBQ out that way but haven't tried it myself.

Great review!

I hear good things about Grande Ole BBQ out that way but haven't tried it myself.

Thanks for that tip! I'll check them out for sure.

The thing that this proved to me is, despite all the fancy, time consuming prep and fiddling around some of us do w/ our Q, good meat, good rub and a good wood fire alone can produce some good Q. Low & slow at a rock steady 225.

Chris from O & Q did't brine, use binder, spritz, or wrap. Still was quite good.

He said, "God makes the meat and the wood perfect, I just let it do it's thing."

JD

Back