Burger Building

Ok… I’m going off the reservation here and suggesting no liquid condiments go on the burger at all. Cheese, tomato, bacon, lettuce, pickles, onions, dried crickets, etc all yes, but the mayo, mustard, ketchup, bbq sauce, sriracha, balut extract, etc all go in a wide bowl on the side into which the burger is dipped bite by bite as it’s being consumed. :peep:

Im gonna have to disagree. The dried crickets should go on before the cheese so they don't fall off, and jump off the plate.

Call me weird but in most cases (home especially) I just go with S & P, I want to taste the potato bun and juicy meat, on occasion (out) just onion and pickles.
Ed

I like to do it Krabby Patty style.

1810668-krabby_patty_2.jpg

Beyond the structural integrity, I do think there is something to be said about how it hits your tongue, and the order - what hits the tongue first.

Sort of like candied bacon. If one side is sweet and the other side is spice, which side is hitting the tongue? And which side has the salt? Of course you could make both sides the same, but I think that's missing an opportunity.

Also, an acid - like pickles or pickled onions - tends to clear fat covered tastebuds and provide a reset to experience more flavor.

This is why I like pickles and mustard only a lot of the time.

When I put lettuce, tomato, and onion, (and mayo) it’s gonna squirt out, top or bottom.
Putting all the veg and condiments on one side with the cheese can be messy. Why I do what said in my previous post. The lettuce and onion act as a barrier to prevent a juicy burger (as they all should be) from soaking the bottom of the bun. Stuff doesn't slip-slide around.

Wish Five Guys would learn the lesson. They offer a great burger, but they fall apart halfway through eating one. Haven't ordered one in years because of that. Their not crispy, extra greasy fries are also a turn off.

Regardless of stacking order, I hate it when a restaurant brings me a burger wide open and spread out over a platter like a yard sale. Reason #1 is that it cools off much faster and I always wind up eating a cold burger, yecch. Reason #2 is that I paid good money for my burger and I don't want to have to do the assembly work I paid *them* to do.

seattlepitboss

We start an ATW burger with buttered buns and toasted. ketchup and mustard on bottom. Then burger patty. Cheese then pickles, then onion slices, then tomatoes then lettuce then mayo on top bun. Every burger has to be made exactly to order. Our specialty burgers and sandwiches all have to be their own combo layering.

Back