Let's grind this out!

BackYardRob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
I'm sure this has come up many, many times. I have a stainless grinder attachment for my stand mixer and use it to make my own sausage. But sad as it is, I've never ground my own beef for burgers. Got a fresh pack of ground chuck the other day and it made great burgers. Anyway, I'd like to start grinding my own burger beef and was wondering what cuts everyone uses for their favorite burgers. Is there a favorite go to blend for you or do you just go for one specific cut? Thanks in advance!

Chuck is usually a common base, and/or whatever trimmings I might have, which is often brisket and some various steak trimmings. Chuck and short rib in a 65/35 ratio is a favorite of mine too.

usually chuck and sirloin for just everyday stuff. If I'm going for a "top notch" burger then I use the "Blue Label Burger Blend" that can be found various places online:

6 oz sirloin, weight after being trimmed of gristle
5 oz brisket, weight after being trimmed of gristle
5 oz oxtail, weight after being deboned and trimmed of silverskin

it's pretty expensive to make but oh so good

ETA: here's the original article where they came up with that blend after trying several different blends: https://www.seriouseats.com/the-burger-lab-best-burger-blend-profiles-of-eight-cuts-of-beef

Brisket and venison, 50/50
Deer season starts 11/5
4 briskets in the freezer

Back