Bull Fries

Back around the turn of the century when the local grocery store employed butchers, the store had a freezer that had specialty meat items such as hog ears, livers, tripe, chicken feet and other less popular cuts. My seven year-old son would search the freezer for cuts of meat that he had never heard of and then ask me about them. On one trip to the store, while I was looking at the "regular" meat cuts, I was talking to a neighbor lady. My son interrupted our conversation and showed me a package marked, bull fries. My son asked what they were and what part of the "cow" they came from. He further remarked that they did not look like french fries. Since the lady I was talking to grew up on a farm, she knew what they were so I knew she would not be offended or embarrassed by my explanation.

"Son, those two pieces of meat are bull testicles."

I then had to explain further to him what testicles were in a slang term he was more familiar with.

His reaction was priceless! His face was filled with astonishment and he almost dropped the package.

"You mean people EAT these things?! WHY?"

He then ran back to the freezer and placed the package into the freezer out of fear I would purchase it, take it home and cook them. My son usually had an open mind about trying new things to eat, but he drew the line on this culinary item and said no way was he ever going to try bull fries. I should give him a call today and ask him if he might want to try some now that he his twenty years older. Thing is, that grocery store is now closed and I do not know where I could locate that delectable item.

Looks.... uh... good? :tape:

I always say I'll pretty much try anything once, but much like escargot I'm not sure I could stomach this one. I'm sure it's all in my mind though.
Went on a week long cruise in the early 90's with the wyff and my daughter's Godparents. Despite cruise food supposedly being good, overall it was not. One night they offered escargot. Came on a dish that looked made for escargot with 8-10 separate compartments for the snails, cooked with butter and fresh garlic. Was hesistant at first but, it was the best food the entire trip. So good, the four of us went through at least a dozen plates of them.

Never had bull/calf/RMO fries but would definitely try. Cowgirl's look excellent.

Never been a fan of liver no matter how many onions it's cooked with...something about both the texture and flavor. Grilled beef kidney kabobs years back expecting the same. Medium-rare, they were shockingly good.

Well,,,,with a Shiner and you didn’t tell me what they were I’d clean that plate,,,LOL !!!
Get Feelin better,,,

Your presentation looks great as usual. Get yourself well and back in action soon.
The only times someone told me they tried them but wouldn't again, the reason was always the same "too chewy". The cook neglected to remove the sheath before cooking.
A co-worker who had never had any ordered fries from a meat market on the condition I'd cook them and he'd furnish the beer. When he smelled them cooking he took a sample then stood next to stove eating them as fast as I cooked them.

Oh wow! I can't imagine how tough they would be with the membrane still on. lol
Great story! Isn't it funny how folks like them as soon as they taste them? I bet yours were delicious. Thanks Bob! :-D

Love me some bull fries! Those look great!

I had a friend who swore he would never eat them. I roped his mother into helping me out and we made “chicken nuggets” for dinner on an evening he had to work late. Dinner was on the table and he was hungry. Said they were the best chicken nuggets he ever had.

I wasn’t sure I would still have a friend when we broke the news to him after dinner but he got over it and now makes sure we hold back a few for him every now and then.

:laugh: Great story too! I bet he was surprised when he found out what they were. Thanks for the laugh LaVon! :-D

Called my meat market. They had cleaned calf and whole big boy bull..The Bride likes their maple blueberry breakfast sausage links.
Got calf and her links. I've eaten the big boys from Colorado to Montana. One place served with beef au jous similar to french dip and garlic bread. The Chile sauce and lemon is off the charts.

Parts are good. Thanks for the reminder. Fries are usually only a couple miles away

That's great Adams! Looking forward to your cook pics!
I know some folks like them dipped in gravy too... I like the horseradish cocktail sauce best. Bet aujus would be tasty. :-D

That would be like drinking decaf coffee..
16A

lol Yep. :-D

Back around the turn of the century when the local grocery store employed butchers, the store had a freezer that had specialty meat items such as hog ears, livers, tripe, chicken feet and other less popular cuts. My seven year-old son would search the freezer for cuts of meat that he had never heard of and then ask me about them. On one trip to the store, while I was looking at the "regular" meat cuts, I was talking to a neighbor lady. My son interrupted our conversation and showed me a package marked, bull fries. My son asked what they were and what part of the "cow" they came from. He further remarked that they did not look like french fries. Since the lady I was talking to grew up on a farm, she knew what they were so I knew she would not be offended or embarrassed by my explanation.

"Son, those two pieces of meat are bull testicles."

I then had to explain further to him what testicles were in a slang term he was more familiar with.

His reaction was priceless! His face was filled with astonishment and he almost dropped the package.

"You mean people EAT these things?! WHY?"

He then ran back to the freezer and placed the package into the freezer out of fear I would purchase it, take it home and cook them. My son usually had an open mind about trying new things to eat, but he drew the line on this culinary item and said no way was he ever going to try bull fries. I should give him a call today and ask him if he might want to try some now that he his twenty years older. Thing is, that grocery store is now closed and I do not know where I could locate that delectable item.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Too funny! Thanks Juggy!

Went on a week long cruise in the early 90's with the wyff and my daughter's Godparents. Despite cruise food supposedly being good, overall it was not. One night they offered escargot. Came on a dish that looked made for escargot with 8-10 separate compartments for the snails, cooked with butter and fresh garlic. Was hesistant at first but, it was the best food the entire trip. So good, the four of us went through at least a dozen plates of them.

Never had bull/calf/RMO fries but would definitely try. Cowgirl's look excellent.

Never been a fan of liver no matter how many onions it's cooked with...something about both the texture and flavor. Grilled beef kidney kabobs years back expecting the same. Medium-rare, they were shockingly good.

Thanks Erik. I like escargot too! lol Bet those were delicious!!
Same here on the liver... I can't handle the flavor. :-D

Well,,,,with a Shiner and you didn’t tell me what they were I’d clean that plate,,,LOL !!!
Get Feelin better,,,

lol Thanks Don! Hope you try them sometime! :-D
I'm getting stronger... :)

Jeanie, that is the ONLY thing you've cooked that I wouldn't eat..

They look great however! They really do!

:bolt:

I have had hog fries and turkey fries. Liked both. The hog fries were cut into nugget size and had the taste and texture of gizzards. The turkey fries were lighter in flavor similar to breast nuggets. Have never had calf or bull fries but would definitely eat them.

Thanks,

Robert

Jeanie, that is the ONLY thing you've cooked that I wouldn't eat..

They look great however! They really do!

:bolt:

:laugh: That's alright Bill! Thanks! :grin:

I have had hog fries and turkey fries. Liked both. The hog fries were cut into nugget size and had the taste and texture of gizzards. The turkey fries were lighter in flavor similar to breast nuggets. Have never had calf or bull fries but would definitely eat them.

Thanks,

Robert

That's great! Turkey and hog fries are pretty tasty too. I bet you would like beef fries, Robert!
Sheep fries are another tasty treat. :grin:
Thanks!

Back