Rib "strips"???

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Have seen these cross cut ribs at the Meximart for years. No idea how they cook them, but I decided to try and grill them. I can smoke ribs and have them come out great, but can't grill them worth a damn. Have a buddy that can grill ribs to perfection, but he can't smoke them worth a damn.

JutcBRVh.jpg

Used some of the Marlboro Text Mex rub I made up recently. Forgive me father for I have sinned. This is the first time I've made pork ribs without using Porkmafia Memphis Mud in about 5 or 6 years. It was just me and was for lunch, so I grabbed only one strip.

PwledxTh.jpg

Need cocktails no matter how quickly things might be done. Some Ranch Water.

09xocuZh.jpg

Onto the new Weber, because I was extra lazy.

sR83Ifxh.jpg

sEHXvkxh.jpg

And it turns out the "strips" are just rib tips. Turned out pretty good, only 1 1/2 hours rather than my usual 4 hours. Served with fries.

I've picked them up a few times and the family has quite enjoyed them, more than ribs for some reason. Never did them that fast, but definitely will give it a shot, looks good!

Looks great.
Now when you say rib tips, do you mean the knuckle-ee crap that you trim offa spare ribs to make st. louies?

Yep. If cooked right, I like them better than actual ribs. Just have to get past all the cartilage. These didn't have a lot.

This is more of an Asian style cut. We get it a lot here. Good fat content, these are often glazed and hung in a higher heat vertical oven if done in a chinese restaurant.

Try these with a char sui style sauce, you'll come up a winner!

I've been seeing a lot more grilled ribs lately. Quick cooking.
Yours look killer Andy!

This is more of an Asian style cut. We get it a lot here. Good fat content, these are often glazed and hung in a higher heat vertical oven if done in a chinese restaurant.

Try these with a char sui style sauce, you'll come up a winner!

That's exactly what i use them for when i chop them off spares to make st louis. I chop them up into squares, marinate in char sui, then smoke and deep fry.

Hey Andy, The lighter color of those rib tips look like they were taken from the loin area of the hog and not the spare rib area. Did the pieces have solid bones similar to back ribs and did they not contain any cartilage? If the answer is yes, then those were rib tips from the loin. Loin rib tips are the scrap ends that are the result of trimming ends of the ribs across the rib bones of a pork loin to make the protruding rib bones to appear nice and uniform. These rib tips also contain the membrane that back ribs have.

Back in the day when the local grocery stores here in the 'burg employed butchers instead of clerks who put prepackaged meat on the shelves and display cases, I used to see the loin cut rib tips quite frequently. I would buy them up as at the time, they sold for less than a buck a pound. I spotted some yesterday in a store 30 miles from home and they sold for $2.99 a pound and I bought all five pounds that they had. I can't wait to cook them. I marinade them overnight and cook them about 250F for about two hours. Once they are cooked, I will sauce them, place them in an aluminum half pan and freeze them. I seal the pan good by using plastic wrap and then wrap the pan in aluminum foil. The purpose of the foil is to keep the plastic wrap from unwrapping. When I am ready to serve them, I will take the plastic wrap off, put some apple juice in the pan, reseal the pan with foil and reheat the rib tips in the oven at 250F for about 90 minutes. Good stuff and you did a fine job on yours!

They look great! I did some, among other things, for a friend's wedding years back. I went hot and fast on propane with a light rub and set a sauce near the end. Big hit. Bet they tasted as good as they looked!

Back