Brethren Brain Trust, Before I buy.....

TC Smoke & Que

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Rick
I have never smoked a full shoulder clod, although I have seen a few done on videos that left questions in my mind. So, I am coming to the Brethren for information on handling this cut. How it needs to be trimmed, in smoking it whole. Does it stall like a brisket does, and need to be wrapped? Same type of rub (SPOG) as a brisket? Wanting to make "Pulled Beef".
I will be cooking it alongside a full packer @ 230-235*
Any advice, tips, tricks, are appreciated, as I will buy it tues when I can get it for $3.99 / lb.
I am cooking on a Meadowcreek BX 50 IVC.

Thank You Brethren!!

I have done one and turned out great. Trim wise treated like a butt and didnt do much. Silver skin is up to you but I leave it on. I used just S&P and injected the crap out of it with pump injector. I rolled mine hot and fast no wrap and was great. Dont see any reason why shouldn’t be able to wrap.

Was fantastic on tacos. Now your convincing me to so another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never smoked a full shoulder clod, although I have seen a few done on videos that left questions in my mind. So, I am coming to the Brethren for information on handling this cut. How it needs to be trimmed, in smoking it whole. Does it stall like a brisket does, and need to be wrapped? Same type of rub (SPOG) as a brisket? Wanting to make "Pulled Beef".
I will be cooking it alongside a full packer @ 230-235*
Any advice, tips, tricks, are appreciated, as I will buy it tues when I can get it for $3.99 / lb.
I am cooking on a Meadowcreek BX 50 IVC.

Thank You Brethren!!

Nice price! Hope you take pics for us. :grin:

I smoked one a few weeks ago - injected with Tony chachere - used a hot sauce as a slather - and rubbed with Holy Voodoo

If you want slices - 185 internal temp

If you want pulled beef - 203 to 205

I smoked mine until it got the bark I wanted - just like with brisket - and then foil boated it until it was ready. I let mine rest on the counter until it cooled to 165 or so - then rested it over night on warm in the oven in the foil boat -

I smoked one a few weeks ago - injected with Tony chachere - used a hot sauce as a slather - and rubbed with Holy Voodoo

If you want slices - 185 internal temp

If you want pulled beef - 203 to 205

I smoked mine until it got the bark I wanted - just like with brisket - and then foil boated it until it was ready. I let mine rest on the counter until it cooled to 165 or so - then rested it over night on warm in the oven in the foil boat -

I forgot - I took it out of the boat for the rest - I wrapped in paper with some tallow and rested it in the oven overnight on warm

Back