Maiden Cook on OKJ Offset: Pulled Pork

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
In the spirit of posting more chit, last week I FINALLY got to cook on my OKJ offset (yet to be named...). I decided to to pulled pork due to my experience and forgiveness of the meat itself. I purposefully prepared it the exact same way I would on my other cookers. Somewhat as a Pseudo benchmark test. As you can imagine, I was chasing temps a bit and really honed in on fire management, so no actual cooking pics.

0600 start or so...full chimney of B&B and some fogo lump to get the coal bed running
53207105930_abddcc1328_b.jpg

Coals in the firebox waiting for things to calm down
53206899258_ddfe1910b4_b.jpg

late in the cook, finally got the hang of coal/split placement so it catches and breathes
53206981444_82cd129c50_b.jpg

after a 8ish hour smoke, a wrap in aluminum pan with some apple juice, and an hour hold, I hand pulled and got rid of the fatty bits that didn't render. I am telling you, I never really got that spaghetti string pull before, but I did on this one. I hydrated with some of the apple juice and seasoned with the rub a bit (pappy's...good all arounder)
53206601616_0754cdac59_b.jpg

Mrs Snadamo made some homemade Hawaiian roles. They were very good, but admittedly not as fluffy as Kings Hawaiian.
53207105420_f18c3bfa78_b.jpg

just some beautiful looking pickled onions Mrs Snadamo Made
53206601776_43712b14ba_b.jpg

The spread...Mrs Snadamo also made homemade pickles and pickled onions, and I made a Carolina style mop/bbq sauce, slaw, etc.
53205717872_343e799a98_b.jpg

Overall, the experience on the offset...I LOVED IT! Something about tending a fire and being one with the smoker and meat more...I enjoyed that connection. That being said, you certainly need to clear your schedule for the day, lol. It was expected though.

The food result; Hard to describe in words, but this was the best tasting pulled pork I have ever made or had. Something about the wood fire imparts a flavor different than coals for heat and wood for flavor...I gotta say I may be hooked.

thanks for looking and brethren with offsets...I think I get it now.

Great cook, Adam and congrats on your maiden voyage. I can only imagine how tasty the PP was! :clap:

Nicely done. Glad you had a good experience. I really liked my Meadowcreek offset. Cant tend to the fire anymore so I use my Large BGE which does a Great Job

Very nice! Looks like you had a great time offset cooking, there's really nothing else like it.

Back