Brat Bath Question.

Funny this topic popped up. I just read an article claiming the best way to Grill sausages is to poach them first. Start with cold liquid, add the sausages, and slowly raise the liquid temp to 150. Remove and grill.
The author claims that since the sausage will spend less time on the grill, it will lose less moisture and fat before doneness.
Any liquid can be used, but he prefers beer.

JMO, But when you are grilling a couple 100 at a time, the beer bath is where the done ones go so you can grill up some more, especially the extra crispy ones. It is a space saver/holding method. Some like the flavor too.

The same can be done with burgers too (beef broth/beer/water).

I've never been a fan of any liquid method, to me it makes the casing turn to rubber. I much prefer to just throw them on the grill, indirect at first with a good sear at the end. ymmv

The only reason for the "Brat Bath" is to keep large quantities of brats from drying out and getting cold. We consume large quantities up here in the home of the Bratwurst.....Been known to eat them cold as leftovers right out of the fridge as well! Alcohol plays a part in just about everything up here.

Bath before or after grilling?

Do you do the bath (in my case I would use beer) before or after grilling?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Back