Brat Bath Question.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
So, I don't like beer. In my youth, I would drink it, but only the lightest and least yeasty tasting beer I could find. I've found that I enjoyed Wild Turkey bourbon instead. But with my health issues, I need to avoid alcohol when possible.

With those two reasons, I'm wondering if there's any method for cooking bratwurst in some sort of "bath" that isn't beer. I did a quick search on Google and all I found were beer bath recipes. What I'm looking for is some liquid that will impart some extra/complimentary flavor to the bratwurst and help cook the onions and pepper at the same time. I'd like to avoid boiling them in water, but I'm just about desperate enough to try that.

I've never done this but have a couple relatives quite proud

Half grape jelly
Half mustard
Crockpot of little smokies

This may not be what you're looking for but may put you on a path
There are shelves of different jelly
There are shelves of different mustards

Lots of ways to cook sausages

My son used to play in golf tournaments around Midland/Odessa
This one tournament had Chipotle Peppers in adobo mixed with BBQ sauce and Dr Pepper. Seared, simmered sausage served in folded white bread

Sorry you don't like beer.
That's a tough one

He's wanting to make a brat tub.........not cocktail wieners (and those would be awful with half grape jelly half mustard....should be grape jelly and chili sauce)

Grimbo, for anything that you can't/don't want to use booze, substitute chicken broth. I prefer to grill first then simmer. Others will tell you it's the opposite.

I don't bother with the hot tub at all. Others above the Cheddar Curtain will argue about the correct way to do it. But beer in the bath won't really give you an overly pronounced beer flavor.

If your set on a bath, just use chicken stock. If im making sausage and peppers i brown, then braise the sausage in chicken stock in my instant pot for 20 minutes. Perfect fork tender. Then drain, add marinara sauce and sauteed peppers and onions and let it simmer on low.

Last edited:
He's wanting to make a brat tub.........not cocktail wieners (and those would be awful with half grape jelly half mustard....should be grape jelly and chili sauce)

Grimbo, for anything that you can't/don't want to use booze, substitute chicken broth. I prefer to grill first then simmer. Others will tell you it's the opposite.

Reading comprehension is fundamental.
Specifically stated probably not what you're looking for but may put you on a path. I've discovered some of the best dishes are made up in process , MSU if you will. Was just attempting to get his ideas going.
Reckon some need it in writing on a 3X5 card.
Sad

Putting brats in any type of bath pre- or post-cook gives them an unappealing mealy texture. That is MY opinion.
Grilled over charcoal until a mahogany color, on a bun, with ketchup and raw onions. That's the way I like em.
As far as liquid for a bath, apple juice or cranberry juice maybe? Beef and chicken broth blend?

I don't like beer in chili, and i don't like brats cooked in beer.

I just use water, if i feel fancy i might add some butter and onion to the water.

Now a beer on the side for drinking, I'm game, i just never liked food (besides beer battered fish) cooked with beer.

What is the purpose of cooking Brats in a bath after grilling?

To tenderize them. You ever take a bite of a sausage sandwich and the sausage shoots right out the other end like a rocket launcher? braising them in liquid breaks down the casing and tenderizes the meat so when you take a bite it just melts in your mouth.

I have never experienced a mealy texture from braising sausages. Sounds like a issue with the grind, not mixing correctly, or not using a binder.

To tenderize them. You ever take a bite of a sausage sandwich and the sausage shoots right out the other end like a rocket launcher? braising them in liquid breaks down the casing and tenderizes the meat so when you take a bite it just melts in your mouth.

I have never experienced a mealy texture from braising sausages. Sounds like a issue with the grind, not mixing correctly, or not using a binder.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking this was the case...now I know for sure.

What about a near beer? Or is the taste of beer not desired?

Taste of beer is not desired. :mrgreen:

Sounds like CB is a popular alternative.

If your set on a bath, just use chicken stock. If im making sausage and peppers i brown, then braise the sausage in chicken stock in my instant pot for 20 minutes. Perfect fork tender. Then drain, add marinara sauce and sauteed peppers and onions and let it simmer on low.

Sounds good.

Putting brats in any type of bath pre- or post-cook gives them an unappealing mealy texture. That is MY opinion.
Grilled over charcoal until a mahogany color, on a bun, with ketchup and raw onions. That's the way I like em.
As far as liquid for a bath, apple juice or cranberry juice maybe? Beef and chicken broth blend?

I like the idea of apple juice. I'll give that a try. And I'll look out for that mealy texture. :becky:

Reading comprehension is fundamental.
Specifically stated probably not what you're looking for but may put you on a path. I've discovered some of the best dishes are made up in process , MSU if you will. Was just attempting to get his ideas going.
Reckon some need it in writing on a 3X5 card.
Sad

Easy there bud, no need to get your feathers ruffled …..my reading comprehension is just fine. A substitute for beer in a brat tub is a far cry from a crockpot delicacy served at superbowl parties. My $.02 anyway. Carry on

Easy there bud, no need to get your feathers ruffled …..my reading comprehension is just fine. A substitute for beer in a brat tub is a far cry from a crockpot delicacy served at superbowl parties. My $.02 anyway. Carry on

He lost me at grape jelly and mustard. Either one of those ingredients would be good on their own, but hard pass mixed together.

I stopped using a bath at all and I like the results better. I put the peppers and onions in a pan and cook until tender. Then I set the pan aside and put the brats on and get nice grill marks on them. Then the pan goes back on the grill and the brats to on top of the peppers and onions and cook until done. This also give the peppers and onions a nice char.

The mealy feel is probably where the the fat was ran out of the sausages, a lite simmer in water to get close to pasteurizing and then onto the grill works well, I have tried beer a few times and wasn't impressed with any flavors. I really want to taste the sausage without other flavors added, that's what peppers and onions and mustard come in lol direct heat can cause some pretty smoke signals. Son got a Johnsonville brat cooker for Christmas , not tried it but they say it works well.

Back