Brat Bath Test

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
NOTE: The results of this test are 100% my opinion and based on my taste preferences. YMMV. :mrgreen:

I recently posted a question of what alternatives to a beer bath for bratwursts was available to someone like myself that hates the taste of beer. The answers given were chicken broth and apple juice. So I decided to give them both a try this past weekend.

It started with a pan of chicken broth, and a pan of apple juice, and a 500 degree Weber grill. Once the CB and AJ were simmering, into the CB I put 3 brats and into the AJ I put 2.
AIL4fc_4RMkUKKB3sfXSgkRWWtvIMWV_QdhVceSnb7rhPNlRvVC1AgVjo6jRAp4nUCDJGJ4JyBKB2F9Ex3_P-wtfp6l5jkWSDtU4mfTakhSUucEL9RwTEUo=w340

I closed the lid and let the brat cook for 30 minutes. Once that was done, I pulled them from the liquids and finished them off on the grates for 3 minutes then flipped and cooked for 3 more minutes.
AIL4fc9sHHy_cNm-JCXPpN2jJ98CYPdqfBf7p35X7y1TRl4pECS5DyRXU01g2q2enMZglGJ_cf7SL1TCcyBQz5HW6FxUAeMvSC8eDIs3YgugvqjLl3G26TQ=w340

Once these were done, I wrapped them in aluminum foil and then cooked 5 brats on the grates until they were done.
AIL4fc_DRDaF9VlFfqcNmHLlf4zlsOi2q9S_SjfLqGzYIfKSpOxEKsshQwVQgo7xH8zjXnpwgkfonYayxu1rh5tq256GLpy4UFgisXRcSwfiPEUYKtfzyS4=w340

To do the test, I cut a CB brat and an AJ brat in half and put them in a bun with ketchup and mustard.
AIL4fc9QN5ipivcNtvKnV6biRLKhLjR3o_1EwN8hf_ApbD3wUTMcpJwZ__sAtNJvxCDrDImbsQE1MaE5pMD-d6Uh-oTYutff2FH9glXS1gJMM-R0rv2i82A=w540

(Can you tell visually which is which? I couldn't.) The CB brat is on the left and the AJ brat is on the right.

Biting into each of these resulted in a nice snap of the casing and the expected bratwurst flavors. What I wasn't able to detect was any CB or AJ flavors. I was surprised at this as I figured the main reason for bathing the brats was to impart an extra flavor into them.

So, as far as I am concerned, this showed to me that bathing before eating is a waste of time. :becky:

Cool test
I’ve done even plain water with onions and peppers. For me it’s more ease of the cook and to make sure the brat is fully cooked before searing.

Back