Box store stick burners on a budget

Does anyone know the square inches cook space on the "Pecos" vs the "over and under"? Looks like the Pecos has one rack and the over under has two? And do you think the $200.00 extra for over under is worth it?

The over and under has two grates and will have more grate space - it runs no hotspots - the pico's will need turning plates or a convection plate. I would say it is worth the extra $200 if you can afford it. They are both 14 gauge steel. The Pecos has a single grate but has room to add a grate . if you cannot weld in rails in you could make a second grate with legs so it just sits on the bottom grate.

My next smoker will be a stick burner. I'll probably only have the budget for something like the pecos. If I buy one I'll be sure to tell them to send you a commission check SmittyJonz.

Looking at the Pecos now. Welded and burns sticks. Wondering if I can add a grate under the smoke box to have it function as a grill (burgers)

I did a lot of research 2 years ago and the Old Country product is really great in that price range. My preference at that point was the Wrangler. It's thicker and should hold heat better. The Wrangler is a typical Offest, so I never considered the over and under. Some folks think the Pecos is larger in grate area. I've never actually measured, but it's my opinion that, with the 2nd grate, the Wrangler actually has more cooking surface. Being smaller on the outside, the Wrangler should heat better, faster and use less fuel.

I would always go for thickness over a small amount of cooking space.

Good luck with your research. Good luck learning the offset method. I'm sure you'll like it.

Back