Box store stick burners on a budget

I have a Brinkman Trailmaster. It's been good with some cheap easy to do mods. I've never used any other offset though. IMHO rust is going to be the biggest issue most other problems you can over come.

Smitty...pls...
78MdxY6.gif

+1 on the Old Country brand. I picked up an Over and Under several weeks back and it's great - even temps, plenty of cook area and it can maintain 225-230 on about a 1/2 log per half hour (more or less).

From that (awesome) $500 and under offset thread someone posted above, it sounds like the pecos and the longhorn are equal size and thickness. I think the pecos is 1 big welded piece while the longhorn must be bolted together. Similar price. I am (still!) pondering a similar purchase within the next 2 months vs adding a wsm 22 (already have an 18).

If academy were close to me, I'd drive over and get a pecos or a wrangler. Without that, I am debating getting one of those shipped for a very affordable $80 with the potential hassle of having to be around for the drop off or damage or whatever. Or, driving over to lowes and putting a boxed longhorn in my jeeps trunk, saving a few bucks on shipping and more precisely controlling the process of getting it home, having a more clear return path if damaged, etc. Or just getting another wsm I know for sure I'll love :)

Sharing my meandering process in case it helps at all :)

Pecos is fully welded and has lid bracing and better exhaust than Ok Joe Longhorn. Longhorn FB is Bolted on.........Geoff just had a Pecos shipped to California -no problems.

Here's a fellow brethren using his old country pecos for the first time.
He loves it.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229440
Maybe ask him some questions.

Yes!!!

Feel free to ask me any questions about my pecos. I love it! $500.00 including shipping.

Just an FYI if you do decide to order this offset, Academy will possibly put 2 holds on your card so plan ahead for that. In the end it all worked out great but I was a little shocked to see $1000 held up on my account. Once it shipped they removed the first hold.

Great construction. All welded and tons of cooking space. Great airflow through the cooker and my first and only cook up to this point was great. I am using all oak on this cooker but you could use lump or charcoal if you wanted I guess.

I'm super happy with it and glad that I did not go for any of the big box store options. Nothing against those at all but I had a chargriller offset and this one is worlds above that one.

Anyway, Smitty knows A LOT about these cookers but I'm happy to pass along any information if you need it.

Good luck with your search.

OH!!! Remember that the Old Country pits DO NOT come with a temp gauge so you will need to order one separately. I bought the Old Country gauge for $15 which was part of the $500 cost...

First Cook...

For the price range you indicated I would also recommend the Old Country Pecos. Very nice for the money with nice features.

I'm helping a Buddy who has a HandyMan Bizness this week. Hard to cruise forum when replacing siding n trim........and caulking and painting.......:shock:

i was right...sort of:thumb: that never gets old:laugh:

I also have an Old Country Pecos in the back yard and love it. Great stick burner for the money, and big enough for family cooks. It's what I'd recommend to anybody looking to get into stick burning on a budget.

So are the Oklahoma Joe highlander's any good? Got a local guy with a good one for 75 bucks. Are they one to stay away from? Is that price fair?

Yes!!!

Feel free to ask me any questions about my pecos. I love it! $500.00 including shipping.

Just an FYI if you do decide to order this offset, Academy will possibly put 2 holds on your card so plan ahead for that. In the end it all worked out great but I was a little shocked to see $1000 held up on my account. Once it shipped they removed the first hold.

Great construction. All welded and tons of cooking space. Great airflow through the cooker and my first and only cook up to this point was great. I am using all oak on this cooker but you could use lump or charcoal if you wanted I guess.

I'm super happy with it and glad that I did not go for any of the big box store options. Nothing against those at all but I had a chargriller offset and this one is worlds above that one.

Anyway, Smitty knows A LOT about these cookers but I'm happy to pass along any information if you need it.

Good luck with your search.

OH!!! Remember that the Old Country pits DO NOT come with a temp gauge so you will need to order one separately. I bought the Old Country gauge for $15 which was part of the $500 cost...

First Cook...

So how many pieces is it shipped? do the legs bot on, or is it welded?

Back