THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
John
I thought I’d try to sear off a Sous Vide Ribeye in my Blackstone Pizza Oven tonight, but I have some questions. I tried a search, but didn’t find the info so I’m throwing it out to any & all who have given it a shot before.

1) Do you flip it at all, or does the bottom get a good sear from the CI while the top gets seared by the flame?
2) How hot do you get it?
3) How long do you preheat the CI?
4) Once the CI gets up to temp (?), do you pour in a bit of oil to help with the sear? If so, any danger of it catching fire?
5) If I wait for a full rotation to grab the CI with the oil in it and grab the handle to remove it to put the steak in, is that too long? (Flame up/fire)

Curious as to whether or not the fat will render and crisp well enough to enjoy....

I’m still thinking of getting a Beefer or Otto, but thought I’d try to get this technique down before I commit funds to something new.

I thought I’d try to sear off a Sous Vide Ribeye in my Blackstone Pizza Oven tonight, but I have some questions. I tried a search, but didn’t find the info so I’m throwing it out to any & all who have given it a shot before.

1) Do you flip it at all, or does the bottom get a good sear from the CI while the top gets seared by the flame?
2) How hot do you get it?
3) How long do you preheat the CI?
4) Once the CI gets up to temp (?), do you pour in a bit of oil to help with the sear? If so, any danger of it catching fire?
5) If I wait for a full rotation to grab the CI with the oil in it and grab the handle to remove it to put the steak in, is that too long? (Flame up/fire)

Curious as to whether or not the fat will render and crisp well enough to enjoy....

I’m still thinking of getting a Beefer or Otto, but thought I’d try to get this technique down before I commit funds to something new.

John,

tom_b's done quite a few steaks on the BS oven, hoping he will chime in. If not, I would PM him if you don't get replies.

John,

tom_b's done quite a few steaks on the BS oven, hoping he will chime in. If not, I would PM him if you don't get replies.
I know several people have done it, but I couldn’t find those posts - my search skills are weak.:oops:

Thanks Richard.

Hoping I get a response before dinner. I have a “Plan” for what I think will work, but.........

I have done it a couple times John, I like what it does. the ribeye was brought up to temp on my pellet grill, maybe 1-2 min. per side on CI with a little oil on it, The filet was cooked completely on the BS.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264543

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270665
Thanks for the info and the links! Looking forward to giving a shot. I’ll take a couple of photos, but I’m crappy at posting them.

Welp, I gots some practice in......

Very disappointing. Didn’t even bother to take pictures.

Thought I had the CI pretty bleeping hot. Put some EVO in and it sizzled almost instantly. Put the Ribeye in (Sous vide 128/3, patted dry and some Kosher salt added) and turned the BPO pretty high - some pretty serious smoke coming off the oil. 2 minutes and flip.

Uh oh... not much crust/color. 2 minutes more and pulled - didn’t want to over cook the meat.

Not much crust on either side and internal temp/color was heading decidedly towards med rare.

Hmmmmm..... gotta think about this.

****Note: it was Costco Choice Ribeye - the best marbling I could find. Second straight batch that was “substandard” for Costco - anybody else seeing this?

Welp, I gots some practice in......

Very disappointing. Didn’t even bother to take pictures.

Thought I had the CI pretty bleeping hot. Put some EVO in and it sizzled almost instantly. Put the Ribeye in (Sous vide 128/3, patted dry and some Kosher salt added) and turned the BPO pretty high - some pretty serious smoke coming off the oil. 2 minutes and flip.

Uh oh... not much crust/color. 2 minutes more and pulled - didn’t want to over cook the meat.

Not much crust on either side and internal temp/color was heading decidedly towards med rare.

Hmmmmm..... gotta think about this.

****Note: it was Costco Choice Ribeye - the best marbling I could find. Second straight batch that was “substandard” for Costco - anybody else seeing this?

Cast iron works best when slowly heated up over a good period of time. To get a good crust on a steak, start out low and slow and after 5-8 minutes, turn it up gradually to get it nice and hot. The key to CI is a long heating process so it will retain the heat and continue to retain the heat when you drop the piece of meat on it. THIS will get you the crust. I'd say 10-15 minutes preheating would be the minimum - kinda like heating up a pizza stone.

IF CI is heated up fast, but not sufficient time for it to build up slowly, it may certainly be "bleeping" hot on the surface, but as soon as the meat it the pan, it sucked up all the heat from the pan and the result is poor or no crust.

Try a long preheat next time and see if that helps.

Cast iron works best when slowly heated up over a good period of time. To get a good crust on a steak, start out low and slow and after 5-8 minutes, turn it up gradually to get it nice and hot. The key to CI is a long heating process so it will retain the heat and continue to retain the heat when you drop the piece of meat on it. THIS will get you the crust. I'd say 10-15 minutes preheating would be the minimum - kinda like heating up a pizza stone.

IF CI is heated up fast, but not sufficient time for it to build up slowly, it may certainly be "bleeping" hot on the surface, but as soon as the meat it the pan, it sucked up all the heat from the pan and the result is poor or no crust.

Try a long preheat next time and see if that helps.
I think I did enough slow preheat. Had the flame at a low setting for a good ten minutes with the pan in place, then ramped it up for about 2-3 more before I put the oil in.

If I do it again, I’ll do it a bit longer though. Thanks for the input.

Back