Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

What is that meat?

It's beef. Flap meat to be exact which I cut into small but thick strips. This way they retain moisture and you can cook them to your desired level of doneness. They don't dry out. For tacos I like about a medium. Pics aren't that great obviously. I just chop it up right before serving or some people like the whole piece.

Brother grim, you have been on a tear lately. As soon as I'm onshore for any length of time I have got to get back over to your place and feast on some of that fine looking grub that you have been posting. Congratulations on the new rig brother and enjoy it. Hopefully I will see you soon.

Keeping the cover off of the cooking surface while not in use can be a problem. Brother ssv3 would probably suggest that you invert a disposable turkey roasting pan(or 2) on the griddle surface after cleaning before covering, therefore solving that little problem

Keeping the cover off of the cooking surface while not in use can be a problem. Brother ssv3 would probably suggest that you invert a disposable turkey roasting pan(or 2) on the griddle surface after cleaning before covering, therefore solving that little problem

Very good point. Thanks for bringing that up Dave. Long time bro.

how do you clean these things ? I have worked in a restaurant for a long time and we clean ours every night , its a pretty lengthy process pretty much cleaning all the seasoning off and bringing the grill back to its bare surface every night, I am thinking about leaving the seasoning on it and never cleaning it off other than scraping it with a grill scraper . i'd like to hear all suggestions/ comments

I have been eyeing the Blackstone 36x20 for a while now. After reading your post yesterday, and drooling all over my keyboard, I remembered I had some Cabela's gift cards. Stopped on the way home from work. Put her together and got her seasoned. Threw on some stir fry chicken and veggies. WOW! Thanks for the post!!!!!:eusa_clap

good luck with the new griddle! can we get a teppanyaki demonstration when you get a chance? i've got a question. does the griddle come with a black pre-seasoning or is it raw metal when you get it?

Was at Lowe's last night and took a look at this blackstone griddle, it was very tempting but as much as I liked it, just can not justify buying it in my budget.

I went to Manards and found this a few days ago, it may not be as nice as the blackstone but fits my budget much better, and could be taken inside when not being used. Not sure if stainless steel can be seasoned like plain steel, but for 25.00 it may fit my needs.
Dave
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...stainless-steel-griddle/p-1917901-c-10141.htm

Was at Lowe's last night and took a look at this blackstone griddle, it was very tempting but as much as I liked it, just can not justify buying it in my budget.

I went to Manards and found this a few days ago, it may not be as nice as the blackstone but fits my budget much better, and could be taken inside when not being used. Not sure if stainless steel can be seasoned like plain steel, but for 25.00 it may fit my needs.
Dave
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...stainless-steel-griddle/p-1917901-c-10141.htm

Stainless doesn't get seasoned the way cast iron or carbon steel will. It's also a very poor conductor of heat (all good stainless cookware will have a core of aluminum or copper to promote even heat distribution).

Still, that's a bargain and I'm sure you'll be able to produce some damned good food on it. It will just never heat as consistently across as a cast iron griddle would. So long as you plan your cook accordingly you'll be fine.

Stainless doesn't get seasoned the way cast iron or carbon steel will. It's also a very poor conductor of heat (all good stainless cookware will have a core of aluminum or copper to promote even heat distribution).

Still, that's a bargain and I'm sure you'll be able to produce some damned good food on it. It will just never heat as consistently across as a cast iron griddle would. So long as you plan your cook accordingly you'll be fine.

Yes guess I new that, but not going to do a lot of griddle cooking for a crowded. As small as the surface area is, it would probably give me an even heat, but know it is not as good a steel. The price is huge, so can't expect it to preform like the blackstone, which I really would love to have. As is said, poor people have poor ways.
Dave

Almost ready to pull the trigger on one... how are you storing and cleaning it; covered, or do you fold it down? And how do you keep the griddle from getting rusted etc (zero experience w/ cast iron anything).

I have limited space so I would have to either cover it and place it in the storage area (spare garage) or fold it down.

Dave

I have this http://www.littlegriddle.com/Professional-Stainless-Steel-Griddle-p/gq230.htm

I use it on a current model Weber Genesis. I cannot get consistent temps. Pre heating it gets it nice and hot, but as soon as I open the lid of the grill its all gone. Its not the same experience as using a dedicated griddle. So its great for me to load up with sausage peppers and onions and close the lid. But Its not so great to sear a burger or anything else.

Almost ready to pull the trigger on one... how are you storing and cleaning it; covered, or do you fold it down? And how do you keep the griddle from getting rusted etc (zero experience w/ cast iron anything).

I have limited space so I would have to either cover it and place it in the storage area (spare garage) or fold it down.

Cleaning it is a breeze. After I'm done cooking:

I turn the heat down to low

Scrape the food particles off

Pour or spray a little water on the hot surface which steams the stuck and harder to get off partices

Fold down paper towel and using the scraper to hold it down, run it all across the grilddle surface until it's clean and smooth.

Turn off the griddle and let it cool down. Once warm to the touch I apply a thin coat of oil again with a paper towl.

Once completely cooled down, I thrown on a full size disposable aluminum pan upside down and throw the cover on. The aluminum pan helps elevate the cover where it doesn't touch the oily griddle top and preventes premature wear of your cover.

Clean up is literally 5 mins or less.

Mine sits outside and going on 3 years there is no rust on it. This whole time I've only appled a thin coat of oil to the bottom twice to prevent any rust since that's where the griddle gets the most heat exposure and will burn off any protective coating. So reapply the bottom maybe once a year but you don't have to.

Cleaning it is a breeze. After I'm done cooking:

I turn the heat down to low

Scrape the food particles off

Pour or spray a little water on the hot surface which steams the stuck and harder to get off partices

Fold down paper towel and using the scraper to hold it down, run it all across the grilddle surface until it's clean and smooth.

Turn off the griddle and let it cool down. Once warm to the touch I apply a thin coat of oil again with a paper towl.

Once completely cooled down, I thrown on a full size disposable aluminum pan upside down and throw the cover on. The aluminum pan helps elevate the cover where it doesn't touch the oily griddle top and preventes premature wear of your cover.

Clean up is literally 5 mins or less.

Mine sits outside and going on 3 years there is no rust on it. This whole time I've only appled a thin coat of oil to the bottom twice to prevent any rust since that's where the griddle gets the most heat exposure and will burn off any protective coating. So reapply the bottom maybe once a year but you don't have to.

nice, this helps me too. I have been doing basically this, but not using water. I have just been rubbing the oil around, taking off the stuck on bits and then making sure to heat it enough before use to kill any baddies. I should be getting the cover in tomorrow. It's under a roof so it's not getting any rain/dew on it at least.

On the issue of keeping rust off. The key to these types of things (baking steel, Cast Iron, griddles) is to keep them well oiled. So after the cleaning process you want to rub a thin layer of oil over the surface. This acts as protection from rust! So as long as you use it often and keep it oiled, it will not rust. (I'll be putting this to the ultimate test here on the water in South Mississippi. I'm pretty sure it's as humid as you can get in the USA.)

Is the griddle made of stainless steel? I have the 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond. On their site it states the griddle is made of stainless link. But on other sites it looks like non stainless.

Is the griddle made of stainless steel? I have the 20% off coupon from Bed Bath & Beyond. On their site it states the griddle is made of stainless link. But on other sites it looks like non stainless.

Blackstone makes the bodies in both black coating and stainless. Pretty sure the cooking surface is mild steel on both models.

I have never seen a SS BS Griddle in person, in ad's they look identical except for body material.

Blackstone makes the bodies in both black coating and stainless. Pretty sure the cooking surface is mild steel on both models.

I have never seen a SS BS Griddle in person, in ad's they look identical except for body material.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's a typo. Would imagine the mild steel is better anyways (for a griddle).

Fried rice was really really good yesterday. It was ground breaking today. OMG. I turned the heat up today and refried yesterday's fried rice and it was PERFECT. I mean holy cow. Delicious.

I had to work today so no lunch or breakfast shots. (though I did make some ridiculous pancakes this morning. No pics though.)

Back