Best option for a ham to (re)smoke?

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Justin
I've been tasked with smoking a ham for easter. A bargain basement frozen chunk was dropped off at my house, and not willing to risk the quality-I want to buy something good.

I've done twice smoked hams a number of times in the past, and had one particular round where 2 smoked at the same time, with the same method, had very different results (discounted hams from ALDIs)

So, in the spirit of 'not risking it' I wanted to buy/order something. I found a few 'best mail order hams of 2023' web links, but figured I'd ask the collective here for a slightly less biased answer. Any suggestions on top-tier spiral sliced hams that I can take as a twice smoked delight?

McGonigles on 79th (Fareway) has spiral sliced Berkshire hams for $5.99/lb. I’ve been wanting to order a Kurobuta ham from SRF for awhile and never got around to it so I thought this would be a nice alternative. I pick mine up next week.

EDIT: Just noticed you said spiral sliced. Neither of the links are that... sorry.
Yeah, life is a lot easier if I pretend it's the same one they dropped off :mrgreen:
McGonigles on 79th (Fareway) has spiral sliced Berkshire hams for $5.99/lb. I’ve been wanting to order a Kurobuta ham from SRF for awhile and never got around to it so I thought this would be a nice alternative. I pick mine up next week.

oooh. I might give them a call. I liked the idea of ordering/shipping because I hate the idea of waiting in a line...

Here’s a thought: Forget the “Spiral Sliced.” And go from there. The only spiral sliced Ham I ever buy are packages of slices I buy to use as seasoning for vegetables and dried beans.

I've found the Sam's Choice hams at Walmart to be surprisingly good. I especially like the brown sugar hams in the purple package for the overall flavor.

The Petit Jean hams that Joe posted above are very good as well.

Good luck in your quest.

Robert

The couple times I’ve tried resmoking spiral sliced hams didn’t turn out very well. They separated and slices dried out and hardened without getting crispy.
If it helps you can blame me! Get a non spiral sliced ham of your choice and say you read on the Internet resmoking spiral cut hams ends poorly.

I ended up going with Sud' suggestion. Anything mail ordered would have been like 2x the price, and since I don't have to do one of those 'honeybaked ham' lines, I'm not so worried.

I had great success with one a year or so ago, but then the one I cooked along side it was a huge fail. I'm willing to blame that on the quality (ALDI) of the meat, and I'm okay with that gamble most of the time. But, I have a nay-sayer at this meal that swears that you can't re-smoke a ham and the host had stopped by when I had the amazing win-so it's an us vs them situation, and I don't want to lose.

If I show up without a spiral sliced ham, there will be a hecka lot of drama, and I'm not trying to get into that. I have no issues with spending the money to ensure positive results and everyone having a good time-so I'll go that route. I do intend to smoke the one I was given as well, and if it turns out to work-then fantastic! I'll take it and have a ton of good ham at the house for sammiches and future meals. If not, then I'll take the Berkshires and have a fantastic Easter dinner, and coverup the lesser ham with casseroles :wink:

Will post the results either way! Thanks for the sources and the local tip! I wouldn't have even thought about looking for 'top shelf' in town.

Justin.

The one they "dropped off" is going in the trash.

They will never recognise one ham from another.

Do what you do. Everyone will have a great time and eat well which is all that matters.

Cheers!

Bill

The couple times I’ve tried resmoking spiral sliced hams didn’t turn out very well. They separated and slices dried out and hardened without getting crispy.
If it helps you can blame me! Get a non spiral sliced ham of your choice and say you read on the Internet resmoking spiral cut hams ends poorly.

Ditto. If you're turning a turd into gold that will be the new future expectation.

I tell people that I'm real picky and prefer to choose what I smoke.

I know i am a little late, but I have had good luck with Whittingham & Sons Meat Co. I have smoked them for a few hours to heat it up. They have a sweet taste. Cedar Creek hams I have had good luck with, but they are hard to find in a store.

Back