Double Smoke Spiral Ham Advice

Fooball

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Brad
Came across a manager's special on spiral cut hams for $.85 a pound at my local Aldi so I bought one to experiment with.

I could google this but thought I'd ask the Brethren for advice on the smoking process since I've heard double smoked ham mentioned here in the past.

I have an offset smoker and would like to know best temp to smoke it at, what's a good baste to use, and how long to smoke so I don't dry it out.

Do I take it out of the fridge ahead of time to get to room temp or throw it in the smoker cold so I don't dry out the middle?

It's a fairly large 14 pound spiral sliced butt portion ham.

Thanks in advance.....

Brad

A spiral sliced ham is sooo easy to over smoke versus a regular cut, IMO. 300 to 325 should get the results you want. I like Dizzy Pigs Pineapple Head and no glaze.

A spiral sliced ham is sooo easy to over smoke versus a regular cut, IMO. 300 to 325 should get the results you want. I like Dizzy Pigs Pineapple Head and no glaze.

Yea, I'm worried about over smoking and drying out. But I like the idea that you can get some smoke INTO the middle of the ham instead of just on the outer portion.

I googled that Dizzy spice. It would cost more than my ham for a 8.7 ounce shaker. :shock:

The instant coffee granules is interesting...may try this. With the spiral slice I can pour the sauce between the slices. This is why I say "experiment" with this ham.

I don't think I can screw it up too bad with whatever I wind up doing, just maybe switch a few spices or cook temp and time to tweak my end result to get better next time.

I may buy another ham to freeze for next try since they are so cheap.

I like to smoke them around 275 for about 2hrs. 140IT is the sweet spot for me. I've even injected them with pineapple juice. The juice is not going to stay inside but it will coat between the slices and add moisture. A good trick is inject the ham through the cryovac and let it marinate for awhile, even overnight. Keeps it nice and tight and reduces mess and cleanup. The glaze is the fun part. Try apple or raspberry jelly reduced with a little ACV. Glaze around the last 15mins of cooking. Good luck.

Thanks William. Good idea about injecting while still wrapped, as long as I only poke holes in the top half of the wrap I won't have a mess in the fridge!

I'll shoot for the 140. May take a little longer than 2 hours with my 14 pounder.

Thanks William. Good idea about injecting while still wrapped, as long as I only poke holes in the top half of the wrap I won't have a mess in the fridge!

I'll shoot for the 140. May take a little longer than 2 hours with my 14 pounder.
Place it in a large bowl or pan, flat side up. Inject through the flat side and all the juices will stay inside the cryovac. 14lb is a biggen.

If you don't over cook it, it will turn out fine - rub, no rub, glaze, no glaze- all good. (as long as it was a good ham to begin with)

If you don't over cook it, it will turn out fine - rub, no rub, glaze, no glaze- all good. (as long as it was a good ham to begin with)

That's what I'm figuring. Don't dry it out. I'll watch internal temp and use some advise from the above on inject/rub/baste and smoke it.

Whatever happens happens. :mrgreen:

I use a sweet rub and cook in a foil pan with a rack. Glaze at about 110 and cook to 140. Tent with foil if getting to dark.

6JsMb1p.jpg

I found them on sale just after new years 2022 for a dollar/lb at Walmart. Bought four. Intention was to smoke them and use the meat and bone for bean seasoning, brown or green. Cooked flat side down with hickory until 140-150. No glaze. Turned out not to dry except for the bottom piece that served as an insulator. Picked up a lot of smoke. Perfect for bean seasoning. Vac packed into one pound packages. I break out a package every so often and use for breakfast. Really good and I like the extra smoke flavor.

I think you'll be fine with it.

Robert

I found them on sale just after new years 2022 for a dollar/lb at Walmart. Bought four. Intention was to smoke them and use the meat and bone for bean seasoning, brown or green. Cooked flat side down with hickory until 140-150. No glaze. Turned out not to dry except for the bottom piece that served as an insulator. Picked up a lot of smoke. Perfect for bean seasoning. Vac packed into one pound packages. I break out a package every so often and use for breakfast. Really good and I like the extra smoke flavor.

I think you'll be fine with it.

Robert

I may go buy some more before they're gone and vac pack also. Thanks for the reassurance. I've never smoked a spiral.

Back