BBQ Weight Loss Journey

Congrats on making those changes, that is huge! I cut most processed foods and started working out 3 to 4x a week 3 years ago. I am down 55 pounds. Had to buy new smaller size pants twice, totally worth it though.

This is a great thread. Thanks to the OP for sharing his story. It's very inspiring!

I dropped 36 pounds last winter through a combination of dieting and exercise. I have since stopped dieting but continue to exercise 4-6 times per week. What I have found for me that exercise is helping me maintain my weight. I can eat pretty much whatever I want and I drink as much beer as I can but the weight I have put on is in the form of muscle, not fat. I have cut out some things like soda. I read somewhere that not eating anything packaged with cellophane is a good practice so I do that too.

As for BBQ? It's not as bad as some people think. Pork fat is better for you then some margarines and spreads.

Per the book I recommended and per the Nutritionist plus a bunch of other research, we use pretty much Lard and Coconut Oil in our cooking. We also use an EVO based butter and steer clear of margarine.

Now that I've been cleared to exercise I start back up on the 1st of September. I had some of the worst back pain for 5 or 6 months ... with back injections, a chiropractor, and PT ... no one figured out what was causing it. Then a trip to the ER for gallbladder stone (WORST ABSOLUTE WORST PAIN I have ever experienced) I find out my gallbladder had been crystallizing over the past 4 or more years and had to come out. Never knew that a calcified or crystallized gallbladder could actually cause severe to acute back pain. Now I know.

Starting off with 3 times a week for exercise ... I walk 3 miles every day at lunch.

This is a great thread. Thanks to the OP for sharing his story. It's very inspiring!

I dropped 36 pounds last winter through a combination of dieting and exercise. I have since stopped dieting but continue to exercise 4-6 times per week. What I have found for me that exercise is helping me maintain my weight. I can eat pretty much whatever I want and I drink as much beer as I can but the weight I have put on is in the form of muscle, not fat. I have cut out some things like soda. I read somewhere that not eating anything packaged with cellophane is a good practice so I do that too.

As for BBQ? It's not as bad as some people think. Pork fat is better for you then some margarines and spreads.

Hey OP when you got started did you have like a 14 or 21 day program or blueprint you used and stuck to? I've always wanted to get going on something but as soon as I try to construct a menu with all the "advice" out there I just got bogged down and wouldn't even get going. Did any of the books you read have a good way to get going without thinking too much?

Exercise also helps - sit-ups are great (crunches)
your abdominal muscles help strengthen your spine.
When I was 33, I had a girlfriend who need 3 hours of sex a day.
In 6 months, I Lost alot of weight, and had 12 pack abs.
30" waist.
Just a thought for you young guys.

More of a mapped frame work... i knew my resting caloric intake and that I needed to stay under it. In my case 1900 a day max. Next knew I needed 90grams of protein a day and then cut carbs. From there I used the Paleo cook book and information from my nutritionist. 5 meals with 200 calories each. Little math and I was good. Typically 2oz protein and 3 to 4 oz of green veggies we most of what is was eating. Spices and vinegrette too.

Hey OP when you got started did you have like a 14 or 21 day
program or blueprint you used and stuck to? I've always wanted to get going on something but as soon as I try to construct a menu with all the "advice" out there I just got bogged down and wouldn't even get going. Did any of the books you read have a good way to get going without thinking too much?

congratulations! I too lost a lot of weight and ive switched back to the carb train and regretting it soo much. I've gained back ten pounds and feel like absolute crap. Keep it up! much better pictures after vs the before :)

Exercise also helps - sit-ups are great (crunches)
your abdominal muscles help strengthen your spine.

if anything avoid crunches...
-spot targeting muscle groups for weight loss doesn't work(it's been proven time & time again)
- crunches put unneeded stress on your lower back (again proven over & over)

You'll get a far better workout for your abs doing planks than you ever could with crunches. you'll also be working out your legs, back, & arms on top of just abs. Also not hurting your already sensitive back

to the OP:
try some HIIT or possibly some weight training if you're looking to be in better shape. I love running(marathoner, run 30-35mi/week), but steady state cardio has been proven to only help so far. it's all about what you're looking to do.
I went from 5'8" 260lbs to 210 lbs in a matter about about 10 months just by eating better & lifting weights. Then I decided I wanted to run & have been hooked ever since(but also haven't dropped below 200 despite burning 4000+ calories a week in exercise & having a caloric deficit of ~2500/wk.

Last edited:
I actually start light HIIT / Crossfit on Monday, which I am really excited about. For those that don't like or approve of Crossfit, I did a lot of research and found a gym that is well certified. My trainer, is not only a Orthopedic Surgeon, but has a masters in physical therapy, and several Training/Crossfit certs. The program is full body and I will be staying away from heavy weights. I need a solid 6+ months of physical conditioning and stretching before I get extreme. Either way - I LOVE how I am feeling.

Thanks again to everyone to their kind responses and support.

Gerry

if anything avoid crunches...
-spot targeting muscle groups for weight loss doesn't work(it's been proven time & time again)
- crunches put unneeded stress on your lower back (again proven over & over)

You'll get a far better workout for your abs doing planks than you ever could with crunches. you'll also be working out your legs, back, & arms on top of just abs. Also not hurting your already sensitive back

to the OP:
try some HIIT or possibly some weight training if you're looking to be in better shape. I love running(marathoner, run 30-35mi/week), but steady state cardio has been proven to only help so far. it's all about what you're looking to do.
I went from 5'8" 260lbs to 210 lbs in a matter about about 10 months just by eating better & lifting weights. Then I decided I wanted to run & have been hooked ever since(but also haven't dropped below 200 despite burning 4000+ calories a week in exercise & having a caloric deficit of ~2500/wk.

Back