WTF BBQ snobs!

wmarkw

Full Fledged Farker
I have a little rant I’d like to share with you all. I’m the first to admit that I’m a BBQ snob. I know I cook some really good BBQ. I have friends, family, strangers, etc told me that my BBQ is some of the best they have had (not to be polite) and I have a few trophies to back it up. All of the restaurant bbq joints around my town in the Deep South are horrible. And I’m near a lot of the bbq mecca joints but none of our local people can cook; they just can’t; so I prefer my own and will refuse to sit down at these places anymore. What I’m not is naive to think that someone could be better than me. I know a majority on this site can cook circles around me and I respect that. What I don’t do is turn up my nose and say I can’t learn anymore. I have learned so much from every cook(s) on this site that I wouldn’t be a “snob” if it wasn’t for ya’ll. This site and members have helped me take my skills to the next level and the reason for that is the passion we all share in that we want to make good BBQ.

So to get to my rant we were at a Super Bowl party on Sunday. I was asked by the hosts to bring my pulled pork and bbq beans as they all enjoy my bbq. They also told me another couple is coming and the husband is also snobby with his bbq and only likes his own bbq. So I was like cool a fellow brethren lol. So we get there and my buddy told me that this guy is bringing pulled pork too; I was like cool whatever but we’re going to have shiste load of pork to eat. So he shows up with the butt in the foil pan and bear claws in hand. So I think to myself ok this guy seems to be on top of things. He proudly announces to everyone that he’s had the butt on his green egg since 8 the previous night and it took almost 19 hours to cook. He was very eccentric. So my wife goes how low were you cooking the damn thing? He said proudly that he kept his egg at 220 the whole time. I was like huh thinking to myself this guy’s life would change if he cooked at 275. So I follow him into the kitchen to check out his results and curious as a bbq guy to taste his product and to talk bbq with him. So he starts the bear claws and I ask him about his cook methods, etc. Ask if he uses a finishing sauce to which he replied No I don’t need it but I don’t look down upon those who do (ok lol) but I think he thought I meant bbq sauce. I told him I’m a fellow bbq guy and showed him some pics of my 270 smoker and UDS and told him I cook around 250 to 275 which he couldn’t believe. He asked if I use charcoal and I said yes then he said do you use any wood and I said yeah I’m into oak now. He asked about brisket and I said yes I love cooking them when I can and he said he followed a Franklin version his only time. I was like cool have you read his bbq book as its phenomenal and he said Nahhh I don’t want too. Ok.

I take a few bites and yes it was ok. A little dry but I didn’t say anything. I took out my homemade sauce and dipped some more bites and it helped bring out his flavors. I’m critiquing in my head like most of us do. I couldn’t taste much smoke, a little dry, rub/bark is good but overall an ok piece of meat. My meat was vacuum sealed and I told him that this was the way to go for storing your meat, etc. I reheated mine later with some leftover PP juice that I saved. So it finally came time to build a sandwich and I went with mine and dressed it up how I like. I also put a heaping of his on the side with some of my sauce as I wanted to try more. Everyone did one bun his and one bun mine so they could compare. I told him a few times to try mine as I’d like to hear your thoughts. He never did. He did say he loved my sauce though. My buddy told this guy’s wife when they were leaving that hey your husband never tried any of the other pork. She rolled her eyes and looked at me and said I actually prefer yours. I kind of laughed to myself.

I don’t want to come off like a dick but I got offended that he wouldn’t try my pork. Why wouldn’t he?? I didn’t tell him he should have done this or that or say your way isn’t good because there is no reason too; we all have our own methods. I tried his and complimented him; was respectful to him the whole time because you never know I might have learned something. That’s my point. There is always more to learn in this big world of bbq. Apparently this guy is content.

I've also noticed at some of the local comps i have done (non sanctioned events) a lot of fellow competitors didn't want try other peoples bbq. As soon as I was done with my turn ins I went around and sampled everyone's if they had some left.

I thought this guy would at least have been curious to try another bbq guy's food who was as passionate as he was. I could care less if he had a better pork and if everyone preferred his.

Honestly I've never heard of there being BBQ snobs. Your saying people are to uptight to try other people's BBQ? It's all good food! I'm glad I don't know people like this, because those people would annoy the hell out of me!

I'm all for learning from other people and trying other people's food. I'll sample a little bit of everything at events like this! I find it rather funny the guy decided to brag how long the cook was. If it was me, I'd feel bad knowing I wasted 19 hours on a pork butt when I could have it done in half the time! Just don't see how this is possible!

It seems to me I don't wanna know BBQ snobs. It seems these people are real insecure about their food. They are scared to try other people's because they might like it better! But why wouldn't these people try it? Maybe they can learn how to make their food better!

Last edited:
So I cooked a butt for a superbowl party and another guest I didn't really know had cooked a butt too. The guy just wouldn't get off my ass about how he cooks at 250-275 and how I'm wasting my time cooking lower. He had some interesting sauce I liked but after all the food and apps at this party, I barely ate my own pork let alone try his. He probably went onto some BBQ internet site to complain about it. I just like to cook and eat bbq, not geek out over it.

I tried his and complimented him; was respectful to him the whole time because you never know I might have learned something.

Oh, well, I stay away from people like that.

So I cooked a butt for a superbowl party and another guest I didn't really know had cooked a butt too. The guy just wouldn't get off my ass about how he cooks at 250-275 and how I'm wasting my time cooking lower. He had some interesting sauce I liked but after all the food and apps at this party, I barely ate my own pork let alone try his. He probably went onto some BBQ internet site to complain about it. I just like to cook and eat bbq, not geek out over it.
Ha Ha! We should do more 'parrot' threads!

I don't have the BGE, but have the Primo XL. I can't imagine any circumstance where it would take 19 hours for butts on a ceramic. I also agree with your sentiment about learning from this forum. I firmly believe that I am a better and more creative cook because of the advice from everyone here.

I like to think I do a good job with my Q, but I've always believed that you can learn something by talking with different folks & trying their stuff. Even if you hate their crap, at least you learned how not to do it!

I don't have the BGE, but have the Primo XL. I can't imagine any circumstance where it would take 19 hours for butts on a ceramic. I also agree with your sentiment about learning from this forum. I firmly believe that I am a better and more creative cook because of the advice from everyone here.

Amen to that! I personally think I've made some good eats because of this place!

I would take no offense, I freely share what I cook, if someone opts not to eat it, that is their choice. You lost nothing from not getting his feedback, as clearly, he has settled on one option and does it that way.

You were right to have let him be, he is happy, you should be as well.

I cooked PP for our block party, and a neighbor named Lee from down the block said he bbq'd also and that he cooks his @ 225*. Lee asked me how long I cooked mine and I said 5 1/2 hours, he then went on to tell me it can't render in only that amount of time. After tasting a tiny piece of the pull he said his was much more tender. I noticed he and his wife didn't take any pork from the food line but afterwards after all the clean up I boxed up any leftover and offered him some with a little finishing sauce before i took it home. He took a bite and you could see his eyes light and that he knew it was amazingly good but he still couldn't force himself to compliment it. lol

I wouldn't let this guy bother you too long. I'm not saying this guy was, but there are some people who are just not very nice or personable. I must say, 19 hours, even at 220, I don't doubt that pork was dry. 220, not 225? Oh well. Live and learn.

Don't sweat the small stuff like that. In the end a guy who you didn't know doesn't eat your food, How does that impact your happiness? Don't let strangers dictate how you feel, enjoy the moments that you and your friends shared during the superbowl party.

All of the restaurant bbq joints around my town in the Deep South are horrible.

what do u expect? we are in georgia....none of the places ive tried that all the locals "love" have been any good at all....except the one place owned by a guy from texas and does it texas style..its actually great...big surprise there lol

This guy is just insecure. Never would I insult a fellow BBQ guy/gal by not trying his/her food....especially if asked more than once. Sounds like my man just wants to think his stuff is the best...and that's fine. But the brotherhood in BBQ.....real BBQ people....are always open to other BBQ people and trying their stuff. And somehow I couldn't see him enjoying the comp world. Man....I've had more excellent BBQ at comps that blows mine clear out of the water....

Sh*t...I bet if somehow Aaron Franklin was at that party....and if he wasn't super mobbed or hassled...somehow I could see even a guy like Aaron saying "sure man...let's try your pork"....

I've ran into this issue at a friends house party or together as you would say. My friend is now starting to get into smoking meats and he did his first pork butt. He was asking if it was done yet. The probe was reading 195, but I told him you need to stick a skewer of some sort in it to see if it slides in real easily. It didn't, had resistance told him to keep it on their another 30 minutes and keep checking that way until it slides in easily with no resistance.

When I was explaining the whole process of telling him when it should be done, his buddies were giving me a blank stare as if I was talking in another language. They made comments, man if it's between 195-200 it's good to go. They said it was going to dry out or get burnt once it hit IT of 205. I didn't say anything, but laughed to myself.

Back