WTF BBQ snobs!

Maybe the guy was already full from all the other food before he had a chance to try OP's pork? Or maybe he got a case of the $hits.

Snobbery is not about sharing different ideas or talking about methods that others may not use to introduce them to these new ideas. It is very much about how these ideas are presented and discussed with other individuals that give people this "snob" moniker. Some genuinely share and have open dialogue where people listen and learning occurs. Others just want to be heard.

I get reminded a lot around here of the Stephen Covey quote of “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”

It could also be said around here that people post questions/threads not to start a dialogue and learn, but with the intent to simply beat in a point they wanted to make and already knew. They just wait for the responses so they can deliver their intended message. :thumb:

Cant all be as good as u

I know that is your normal response. And if you feel that way I cannot help it. You think because I point out something I might be talking about you or others which I cannot also help.

I'm making a point just as other do and it clearly bothers you inside. I don't wish that. It bothers me none that folks my read my post and think I'm trying to make a statement that I'm better and I'm not.

Just having a conversation here. People can choose to participate with actual real thoughts or just let it bother them. Another thing I cannot control. So choose to respond is the manner you always do or choose to participate in furthering the conversation.

I very much stand by my statement and if it bothers someone they can ignore my posts. I choose to see other posts because I can talk about things like an adult even when I don't agree with someone.

Dont sweat it!

I like critiques about my BBQ so I can tweak things. I heard that women are more accurate people to ask if your Q is good and you got the wife's opinion. Maybe he just got irritated being asked to try yours several times, and he opted to avoid it. Maybe he isn't open-minded about BBQ. Maybe he feels that the methods he learned from his dad make the only good BBQ and he is satisfied not talking about other people's methods. Maybe he doesn't like to read and that's way he didn't look at Franklin's book. Maybe your Q sucks (I doubt that since plenty of people seem to like it). I get Q-snobby sometimes. I also feel that lots of people (including judges I have sat beside) are not open-minded enough about different Q. I have a few family members who make Q at get-togethers and they know that I judge. My uncle who makes the most will talk Q a little but after I tell him it looks and smells good he starts every time with "don't judge too harshly, I am sure it isn't worthy of a competition". Most of the time, it is a little bitter-smoked and a lot of the times burned a little. I always let him know it is good and never give him critiques. Another uncle said he can't cook a good pork loin because it is always dry and I recommended he only cook it to 140 so it is juicier (because he is a "cook to 170 or it is raw" kind of guy). I am not sure if he has done that or not?
I guess the point is, some people want to know and some people don't. It is hard to know all the time. DONT SWEAT IT!

Is that what they are talking about when they say the meat pulls back from the bones?

Awesome job...... LOL

Ha! You're all Farkers! Everyone knows my Q is best, and I wouldn't taste your foul offerings, which I'm sure would ravage my taste buds. :butt:

When you can reach the level of perfection I have obtained below, give me a call. Until then, keep striving and sweating.

a3_zps3pgeijrh.jpg

Last edited:
I propose all possible offensive emoji's be :ban:along with all posts go through a PC filter to ensure that no feelings get hurt. It's the only fair thing to do and I think that everyone deserves a trophy for participating in this thread. :first: and none of these :third:

I propose all possible offensive emoji's be :ban:along with all posts go through a PC filter to ensure that no feelings get hurt. It's the only fair thing to do and I think that everyone deserves a trophy for participating in this thread. :first: and none of these :third:

Feel the Bern!!!

sounds like this guy's issues go far beyond BBQ.

Ahhhh, trick response: there are NO issues that go beyond BBQ.....

While others seek the Holy Grail we seek the Holy Grill. You need to see my thread about knowing if you're a BBQ fanatic

Franklin entered that comp but the team name was never released. People were able to find out though through process of elimination and found that he had finished in the middle of the pack.

For someone that doesn't compete regularly, middle of the pack is not bombing a competition. Backyard BBQ and Restaurant BBQ are not the same thing as competition BBQ. You can perfectly cook a piece of meat and turn it in, but if your flavor profile isn't one that the judges wanting, you will not win. Salt and pepper briskets don't win, vinegar based sauces don't win. It makes great backyard and restaurant bbq, but doesn't make good KCBS winning bbq.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR....and I was inaccurate to say he "bombed"....but when the man with the #1 ranked BBQ restaurant in the whole Nation doesn't place in the top 3 it would, in my book, seem kinda bomb-worthy in description. But yeah, I totally get it: in the episode his friend even laughed and told him he'd bomb and so I borrowed that phrase. Hail Franklin, be silent my tongue.

I don't want to segue this thread but I would really like to know what the deal is with these comp's...and exactly how backyard BBQ, restaurant BBQ and comp BBQ are different. But yeah, I have nothing but total respect for A.F. he is the Dave Grohl of BBQ :D

The point was to put yourself in the other guys shoes. The whole post was loaded in one self admitted BBQ snobs opinion and seemingly eager to make a superbowl buffet spread into some world championship bbq competition.

Uh, yeah, like others I didn't get that either. Not even close. What I got is that he was eager and excited to chat it up with another Q-thusiast and instead he got a disinterested guy who wasn't even curious or hospitable in tasting another guys Q, let alone discussing it. I know that type: too cool for school and everyone else is a fool. :crazy:

I can't believe there is 5 pages in this thread just because someone didn't taste some pulled pork :tsk: :-D

No, there's 5+ pages because there's nothing good to watch on TV :icon_smile_tongue:

Back