WTF BBQ snobs!

No, there's 5+ pages because there's nothing good to watch on TV :icon_smile_tongue:

Also got the 17 page thread on a smoker you can get at Academy. Read so much about it that I feel I may need one even though I really don't. :attention:

Back on topic: I'll try anyone's and everyone's BBQ. If they don't want to try mine, just leaves more for me.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR....and I was inaccurate to say he "bombed"....but when the man with the #1 ranked BBQ restaurant in the whole Nation doesn't place in the top 3 it would, in my book, seem kinda bomb-worthy in description. But yeah, I totally get it: in the episode his friend even laughed and told him he'd bomb and so I borrowed that phrase. Hail Franklin, be silent my tongue.

There are a lot of guys who have successful restaurants who decide to try their hand at competitions and have similar results. Franklin is in good company :-D. It seems that competition cooks who move into restaurant and catering do better at the restaurant than restaurant guys who decide to try competing.

I don't want to segue this thread but I would really like to know what the deal is with these comp's...and exactly how backyard BBQ, restaurant BBQ and comp BBQ are different.

Here's my take on that...

Backyard BBQ - You cook "to order" and cook what you and your family like. When it is done, it is done. if your timing is off, the family might be hungry, but they'll eat the food when it is ready. Flavors can be tailored to your specific tastes, spicy, mild, a little of both, etc.

Restaurant BBQ - You cook what the local market likes and have to cook in large quantities and hold the food for service. Food has to be in time to serve but may sit for hours before serving. Flavors have to appeal to the widest audience possible.

Competition BBQ - You cook what you think the judges like and what you think will impress them in one bite, maybe two. Flavors have to be balanced to appeal to a variety of tastes but have to be bold enough to come across in the one or two bites. Food has to be presented within a 10 minute window, so any error in timing can be a killer.

We have a lot of Brothers who compete in California. Find a competition near you and go visit them. If you time it right you may be able to taste their BBQ. It's not the abomination that some of the folks on here make it out to be :-D

If you want me to start another thread to discuss this, let me know. I can split your post and mine into a new thread.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Challenge him to a cook off, the wives judging blind of course. If he doesn't accept say I thought so :biggrin1:

If your brother in law is good to your sister, just ignore his bad BBQ behavior, don't mention it and count your lucky stars. If you got along better but he was an #$#% to your sister that would be a far worse world.

If your brother in law is good to your sister, just ignore his bad BBQ behavior, don't mention it and count your lucky stars. If you got along better but he was an #$#% to your sister that would be a far worse world.

totally agree! i have been in that bad situation twice. now it's the other way around where he's not my favorite person but he sure makes my sister happy. i call it a win.

There are a lot of guys who have successful restaurants who decide to try their hand at competitions and have similar results. Franklin is in good company :-D.

Quite frankly, I was actually relieved and impressed that he didn't sweep the entire competition and that he only placed in the middle...it just goes to show that no one person is the absolute authority or king of all things BBQ. I was even impressed that he'd allow the footage to show him not winning...such a humble guy, a true BBQ role model for anyone to look up to!

Backyard BBQ - You cook "to order" and cook what you and your family like. When it is done, it is done. if your timing is off, the family might be hungry, but they'll eat the food when it is ready. Flavors can be tailored to your specific tastes, spicy, mild, a little of both, etc.

Restaurant BBQ - You cook what the local market likes and have to cook in large quantities and hold the food for service. Food has to be in time to serve but may sit for hours before serving. Flavors have to appeal to the widest audience possible.

Competition BBQ - You cook what you think the judges like and what you think will impress them in one bite, maybe two. Flavors have to be balanced to appeal to a variety of tastes but have to be bold enough to come across in the one or two bites. Food has to be presented within a 10 minute window, so any error in timing can be a killer.

We have a lot of Brothers who compete in California. Find a competition near you and go visit them. If you time it right you may be able to taste their BBQ. It's not the abomination that some of the folks on here make it out to be :-D

If you want me to start another thread to discuss this, let me know. I can split your post and mine into a new thread.

The description of each makes sense, thanks for explaining that. I always like to say "it's just heat, meat & spices" and it makes me wonder just how many variations there can be when it comes to top competitors and their final results. Also, just what the heck these judges are all about and what qualifies them to be expert enough to judge food?

I'd love to taste some of this comp Q or even better, be a helper or crew for a team. How and where could I find out about these guys and events? I'm right here in the Los Angeles area.

You know what I'd REALLY love to do....about 3 years ago I bought a 10-acre avocado orchard in Fillmore, CA (about 40 minutes from LA) and I have a large area where several many trailers could park and it's a park-like setting...it would be fun to have a Bretheren casual cook just so we can all meet, eat and have fun....I'd love to host that event, it's the perfect setting. I've got about 100 chickens roaming around and my neighbor has about 200 head of cattle and some nice mountains in the background.

The description of each makes sense, thanks for explaining that. I always like to say "it's just heat, meat & spices" and it makes me wonder just how many variations there can be when it comes to top competitors and their final results. Also, just what the heck these judges are all about and what qualifies them to be expert enough to judge food?

I can only speak to KCBS sanctioned competitions. Other sanctioning bodies have similar requirements. For KCBS there are classes held across the US to become a Certified BBQ Judge (CBJ). Anyone can take the class and they do their best to teach you the rules and what to look for, but the best experience is to get out and judge. After judging 30 competitions and cooking with a team you can be a Master CBJ.

I'd love to taste some of this comp Q or even better, be a helper or crew for a team. How and where could I find out about these guys and events? I'm right here in the Los Angeles area.

Look in the Competition section of this forum to see who is local and maybe post in the mentoring section. To find competitions go to the KCBS web site and the California BBQ Association site.

You know what I'd REALLY love to do....about 3 years ago I bought a 10-acre avocado orchard in Fillmore, CA (about 40 minutes from LA) and I have a large area where several many trailers could park and it's a park-like setting...it would be fun to have a Bretheren casual cook just so we can all meet, eat and have fun....I'd love to host that event, it's the perfect setting. I've got about 100 chickens roaming around and my neighbor has about 200 head of cattle and some nice mountains in the background.

Information of that is also found on the KCBS site. They have info on setting up a backyard event or a professional event. That way you can get familiar with the rules, etc.

Here's the CBBQA site:

http://cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I've been to a couple comps, checked out the food, and despite what you hear from some folks around here, the food can be very, very good. Yeah they go bold on the flavors, but most of these people seriously know what they're doing becuause they do it all the time. All the folks I have met at comps & bashes are very friendly & fun folks.

Yer spot sounds fantastic!

I can't figure out how to quote a miss age on this phone..... But '100 chickens and 200 head of cattle roaming around'?????? You guys wouldn't have to bring any meat!!!!!

I can't figure out how to quote a miss age on this phone..... But '100 chickens and 200 head of cattle roaming around'?????? You guys wouldn't have to bring any meat!!!!!

Well, it's not our main residence. I always wanted a large piece of land and the wife and I enjoy gardening....plus I love to design, build and create stuff. We bought a 10-acre orchard with an old home built in the late 1890's. We remodeled the home and doubled it's size, built a huge 2-story barn, 2 guest units, planted about 650 avocado trees along with about 100 fruit trees.

My neighbor has the cattle, they're used in movies, for 'roping' on weekends and eventually go to the slaughterhouse. As for chickens, we started with 10 but my kids keep buying more each time we go by the feed & tack store. Many are cute little bantam and fancy breeds but most of them are for egg production. You really don't want to eat an egg-producing chicken....the 'meat birds' are far more suitable and quite frankly my kids aren't quite up to eating their pets, go figure.

It's kinda a dream home...income property, historic residence, project, investment, vacation home, location for film/TV use and if the zombie apocalypse ever happens I'm dug in tighter then an Alabama tick! :D

See, I'm under the impression that you only get one crack at life and so I'm trying to make the most of it. Also, my b!tch sister inlaw tends to doubt me so I'm enjoying burying her with some serious in-your-face success (insert evil & maniacal laugh here)

On a side note, and more on-topic to this thread...when my dad learned that I built a large outdoor kitchen with several BBQ's he straight-up laughed at me; his ignorant butt is still in the stone age when only women did the cooking and he can't even begin to relate to the notion of a 'grown adult man' engaging in cooking or BBQ'ing. Aside from shooting guns I can't think of a more manly thing then BBQ'ing.

Back