WTF BBQ snobs!

I love to share and give good food. Sometimes it bothers me when I make something really good and someone just won't even try it.

Maybe they feel insecure, especially in a social setting where they feel like their food is going head-to-head with yours.

This is why it's important to be proactive, get in there, and pack them up a little doggie bag to take home, so they can savor your superiority in private.

Hey guys, hello....did ANYONE pick-up on this post:

So I cooked a butt for a superbowl party and another guest I didn't really know had cooked a butt too. The guy just wouldn't get off my ass about how he cooks at 250-275 and how I'm wasting my time cooking lower. He had some interesting sauce I liked but after all the food and apps at this party, I barely ate my own pork let alone try his. He probably went onto some BBQ internet site to complain about it. I just like to cook and eat bbq, not geek out over it.

This is either the guy who was at the party OR a joke by a member pretending to me that guy.....

I thought this guy would at least have been curious to try another bbq guy's food who was as passionate as he was. I could care less if he had a better pork and if everyone preferred his.

A lot of people need to suspend the belief that nobody can cook better then them, they avoid any realization outside of that delusion by simply not sampling anything other then their own stuff.

Anyone seen the episode where Franklin enters a competition and bombs? It's a weird & subjective world out there, you lose the moment you put yourself up on a pedestal.

What I've found is that the most insecure people are those whose insecurities manifest in the form of perceived arrogance. It's ironic but yeah, the most insecure people are usually the people who seem arrogant!!!

Sitting around a table having lunch I'm telling some friends about how much I'm enjoying my new smoker and an old buddy of mine is just sitting there with a big cocky grin on his face. I've known him over 30 years and he's not changed a bit...he's just biding his time until he says with a big cocky grin how he has HIS recipe, implying it's so much better. Turns out he left the ribs in the slow cooker a full day and added some Kahlua to some BBQ sauce and created the holy grail of ribs. He has no working knowledge of smoking meat, the meat isn't even smoked and yet so arrogant is he that he's willing to sit there with every certainty that what he makes is better then anything I could make. Sheesh!!!!!! :rolleyes:

The logic of the world can be summed up by one simple phrase: If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding...how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Augusta and Evans? two brethren so close! :grin: and yeah the barbecue joints in the area that people rave about have been such let downs. been here since my dad got stationed at Fort Gordon in '92 and have still not found a place that makes me go "damn this is good!". heck, someplaces around here do not know how to make a proper cobbler let alone good barbecue!

I have been meaning to try Southbound Smokehouse over on Central, have one of you two gone?

For me, having his wife say your pork was better is a win Myself I always like and seek out to try other people's BBQ. Yeah a lot of times it is as expected, but get a surprise every once in awhile. Doesn't even have to be BBQ, a steak house even I'll try to see how it is. If a dude doesn't want to try your meat, screw him, his opinion would probably be negative anyways.

sounds like this guy's issues go far beyond BBQ.

You should have told him that you like "fall off the bone" ribs. His head would have exploded.

Anyone seen the episode where Franklin enters a competition and bombs? It's a weird & subjective world out there, you lose the moment you put yourself up on a pedestal.

Franklin entered that comp but the team name was never released. People were able to find out though through process of elimination and found that he had finished in the middle of the pack.

For someone that doesn't compete regularly, middle of the pack is not bombing a competition. Backyard BBQ and Restaurant BBQ are not the same thing as competition BBQ. You can perfectly cook a piece of meat and turn it in, but if your flavor profile isn't one that the judges wanting, you will not win. Salt and pepper briskets don't win, vinegar based sauces don't win. It makes great backyard and restaurant bbq, but doesn't make good KCBS winning bbq.

Franklin entered that comp but the team name was never released. People were able to find out though through process of elimination and found that he had finished in the middle of the pack.

Amen....I've only done a few comps but I can tell you the stuff I make...and others make....in comps would in my opinion be far too sweet and complicated to enjoy as a lunch or dinner. Plus....being able to cook 1500-2000 lbs of brisket in a day and have it come out so good people wait hours for it is far harder to do than trying to satisfy some judges....

Clearly you had the hotter cooker and hotter wife and this made him feel inferior.
I know this because it happens to me all the time.:wink:

The point was to put yourself in the other guys shoes. The whole post was loaded in one self admitted BBQ snobs opinion and seemingly eager to make a superbowl buffet spread into some world championship bbq competition.

Whole first paragraph is talking about how his BBQ is better than anyone persons or restaurant in the area.

second paragraph starts attacking the other guys cooking method as if his is better. Slams the guys choice for not using a finishing sauce, shows off pics of his smoker to brag about how much better it is, and then is offended that the guy hasn't read Franklins book.

3rd paragraph starts ripping the guys pork (subjective of course), brags about how much better his vacuum packing is, then again is offended that the guy didn't try his (again, was this some kind of competition?). Then drags his wife into it trying to get her opinion on whose was better.

My point is who even knows what actually happened at this party. The biggest snob appears to be the OP. To me it sounds like the guy who has cooked 5 pork butts is ripping the guy who has cooked 3 pork butts. No one else would care that much to start a thread on it.

The point was to put yourself in the other guys shoes. The whole post was loaded in one self admitted BBQ snobs opinion and seemingly eager to make a superbowl buffet spread into some world championship bbq competition.

Whole first paragraph is talking about how his BBQ is better than anyone persons or restaurant in the area.

second paragraph starts attacking the other guys cooking method as if his is better. Slams the guys choice for not using a finishing sauce, shows off pics of his smoker to brag about how much better it is, and then is offended that the guy hasn't read Franklins book.

3rd paragraph starts ripping the guys pork (subjective of course), brags about how much better his vacuum packing is, then again is offended that the guy didn't try his (again, was this some kind of competition?). Then drags his wife into it trying to get her opinion on whose was better.

My point is who even knows what actually happened at this party. The biggest snob appears to be the OP. To me it sounds like the guy who has cooked 5 pork butts is ripping the guy who has cooked 3 pork butts. No one else would care that much to start a thread on it.

You read something TOTALLY different than I did. He starts off by saying he was a self admitted bbq snob. lol

His last paragraph, he ate the guys food, complimented him and said he was open to learning something new.

I don’t want to come off like a dick but I got offended that he wouldn’t try my pork. Why wouldn’t he?? I didn’t tell him he should have done this or that or say your way isn’t good because there is no reason too; we all have our own methods. I tried his and complimented him; was respectful to him the whole time because you never know I might have learned something. That’s my point. There is always more to learn in this big world of bbq. Apparently this guy is content. __________________

OP may have just gotten excited about seeing a other bbq guy. Its rare for me to encounter someone who makes brisket and pulled pork. Like an untrained dog i may try to hump the leg of a guy who does bbq. Id just be too excited to control myself. The exuberance may have turned the other guy off. Or he thought OP and his leftover bbq (vac sealed) was gonna be bad, i mean it did have to be drenched in sauce. Instead of trying it he politely declined so he did have to pretend to like it.

2 summers ago i was at the family run for my dads club and there was a smoker rolling with a hog and some butts. I hovered around u til the pit boss showed up. When he checked the Q it was black and leathery. "Ahh its chit" he mumbled. His brother asked if they had sweet baby rays and he said ya. "Well then its all good". They served probably over 100 people.

I had coleslaw, potato salad and chips for lunch.

Yeah not sure where you got all of that from. I first took your post as sarcastic but i never "went off" about my cook methods. Was more curious on what he does and I never once tried to turn it into a comp. lol. I didnt brag, i didnt say anything to his wife about it, never slammed his choices. Just showed him 2 pics of my smoker and my vac sealed pork. Whatever man! People can comprehend in different ways......

I can't believe there is 5 pages in this thread just because someone didn't taste some pulled pork :tsk: :-D

It's his choice and his loss if he missed something good.

I agree! You can close this thread if you wish lol

I agree! You can close this thread if you wish lol
Actually I found it to be an enjoyable read. Interesting to see everyone's point of view and how different people interpret someone's actions and other people's post so differently. Lesson in human nature and never assuming you really know what someone is thinking.

BTW, I was at a Super Bowl party in Georgia or Minnesota (can't really remember) on Sunday and two nice guys brought pulled pork. Tried both and they were both really good. Differently different, but they were both tasty.

When i think of BBQ snobs i think of the members on this forum that frown upon using science to tweak aspects of BBQ that cant be achieved with 100% traditional methods.

I have no problem with any kind of BBQ snob with the exception of those that think they know all about smoking just because the smoke their stuff for 18-20 hours.

I think it's also good to recognize there's more than one way to do things i.e different styles, methods, and cookers to achieve a goal. It's all about sharing, learning and most importantly being open minded to new ideas.

If someone thinks I come across snobby say because I want to share new ways or concepts to achieve a better goal then they can kiss my :moon: You're definitely not going to please everyone all the time so I refuse to walk on the proverbial BBQ eggshells as to not hurt someones feelings. :shock: Is that a bad thing?

Back