Smoking beef & pork ribs in same cook?

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Hello Brethren,

My next cook will be ribs. Can't decide between beef & pork so I'm considering doing both at the same time. Anyone here ever done that? If so, how did you set it up? What suggestions, tips and recommendations would you offer?
I'll be using a KBQ stick burner.
Thanks in advance!
JD

Hello Brethren,

My next cook will be ribs. Can't decide between beef & pork so I'm considering doing both at the same time. Anyone here ever done that? If so, how did you set it up? What suggestions, tips and recommendations would you offer?
I'll be using a KBQ stick burner.
Thanks in advance!
JD

I did it a few weeks ago - both the baby back and the plate ribs were finished about 2 or so hours prior to scheduled game time - so both went into my warmer (turkey roaster) at 145 after letting them sit out on my counter for an hour -

Are you asking about Dino beef ribs or beef back ribs? If they are Dino ribs I typically start them an hour or two ahead of pork ribs since they typically take longer.

I did it a few weeks ago - both the baby back and the plate ribs were finished about 2 or so hours prior to scheduled game time - so both went into my warmer (turkey roaster) at 145 after letting them sit out on my counter for an hour -

Thanks!
Now that’s a good looking cutting board!!
And those beef ribs… To quote Gabriel Iglesias, deeaum!
Is it a safe assumption that as blackdogbbq replied, you started the beef ribs a couple hours earlier?
Oh & what’s in that pan? Scalloped potatoes w/ bacon?
JD
JD

Thanks!
Now that’s a good looking cutting board!!
And those beef ribs… To quote Gabriel Iglesias, deeaum!
Is it a safe assumption that as blackdogbbq replied, you started the beef ribs a couple hours earlier?
Oh & what’s in that pan? Scalloped potatoes w/ bacon?
JD
JD

Yes - believe the plate ribs took approximately 7 to 8 hours

Baby backs I smoked for 4 - then wrapped in foil with sauce and rested on countertop for an hour

Bingo - just scalloped potatoes - no bacon or other proteins added

Cool thanks!
Love's me some scalloped taters... been way too long.
JD

Are you asking about Dino beef ribs or beef back ribs? If they are Dino ribs I typically start them an hour or two ahead of pork ribs since they typically take longer.

Yes - believe the plate ribs took approximately 7 to 8 hours

Baby backs I smoked for 4 - then wrapped in foil with sauce and rested on countertop for an hour

Bingo - just scalloped potatoes - no bacon or other proteins added

Cool thanks!
Love's me some scalloped taters... been way too long.
JD

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

We know that beef w/ lots of connective tissues can benefit from an extended warm hold, especially if it's not taken all the way to probe tender.
My concern was working if my pork ribs were done too early, would they dry out?

I just watched a vid on YouTube by Bradly Robinson from Chuds BBQ. He seems to know what he's doing. He did an experiment holding pork ribs done to 175, wrapped in foil at 150 for 14 hours or so. Apparently they came out great.

This gives me more confidence to do both pork spare ribs and beef Dino ribs together. If the pork bibs get done sooner, I'll just hold them in my oven at 150 till beef is done and rested.

I prefer this over starting beef ribs two hours earlier, as it simplifies things. At least in my mind.

I'll let you all know how they turn out.

Respectfully,
JD

Back