Another New Old Country Pit - FlowMaster

Burleson Academy just got 4 in and all have 2 grates. You can move one to FB like an Over and Under so I guess the sticker is a misprint as it says 3 cooking grates.

It's not hard to believe.

...under the specs online it says it's has more than 100 square inches of cooking surface........ well I HOPE so sparky.:laugh:

I'm still pretty much sold on one of these. Just gotta see one in person first. I'm not one to buy something like this sight unseen. But seems about perfect for my current needs and definitely my current space.

My two nearest Academy hasn't got them yet but I'm interested in it. I looked at it online and the one they have pictured has the shelf on front instead of the side and appears to have the doors that didn't overlap the sides Like the newer ones have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I finally got a chance to see one of these. It took driving an hour and a half as well as calling them to confirm and hold the one unit they had but I did get to see it.

I left without it however. While it's designed in a way that I REALLY like it's construction leaves too much to be desired. Very thin in places and more importantly it has gaps everywhere. The side door on the firebox might as well not even be on as it left a nearly half inch gap all the way around except where it went to 3/4 of an inch. At first I was thinking that I could just doctor it up with gaskets and just let the firebox go. After seeing just how much trouble it would be I decided to let it go and perhaps go with something else.

Disappointed. I was really thinking I'd have a new pit to post pictures about.

In my opinion the standard over/under is the better made unit at $599. I like the flowmaster design.....just not the follow through.

yeah, I know what you mean. This might be perfect for my patio situation. I am limited on space. This smoker might be the ticket. I currently have a Primo XL and UDS which I want to replace. Was thinking cabinet smoker, but I really miss the flavor of a stick burner. The "set it and forget it" slow smolder cookers are good, but they just don't measure up to a stick burner. I was going to buy a Pecos and just wheel it out when i was going to use it, but the Flowmaster just might be perfect.

I am hoping the cooking grate is wide enough to accommodate a hotel pan. Total width of the cooker needs to be within 24" though.

went by the Academy on Bunker Hill in Houston and no Flowmaster. They have a huge card with each smoker they carry with pricing. Flowmaster wasn't even on that card. Bummer. Hopefully I can find one at another Houston location.

yeah, I know what you mean. This might be perfect for my patio situation. I am limited on space. This smoker might be the ticket. I currently have a Primo XL and UDS which I want to replace. Was thinking cabinet smoker, but I really miss the flavor of a stick burner. The "set it and forget it" slow smolder cookers are good, but they just don't measure up to a stick burner. I was going to buy a Pecos and just wheel it out when i was going to use it, but the Flowmaster just might be perfect.

I am hoping the cooking grate is wide enough to accommodate a hotel pan. Total width of the cooker needs to be within 24" though.

After seeing this in person I'd recommend either the regular over under or the cabinet model(stickburner) that's 699. They are both built better than what I saw of the flowmaster last weekend. Just too thin in spots and gaps everywhere. Frustrating as I had brought my truck to haul it home.

Hellos All,

I am new to this from and new to smoking meats. I ordered the Old Country pits Flowmaster earlier this week. I hope I did not make a mistake. :clap2:

I do not have a lot of space on my patio and decided against the Over Under. Plus the Over Under looks like it would require a lot of fuel. I only cook for myself and occasionally a few family members on Holliday.

Hellos All,

I am new to this from and new to smoking meats. I ordered the Old Country pits Flowmaster earlier this week. I hope I did not make a mistake. :clap2:

I do not have a lot of space on my patio and decided against the Over Under. Plus the Over Under looks like it would require a lot of fuel. I only cook for myself and occasionally a few family members on Holliday.

Good luck with your purchase! Sounds like you made a good choice. Pls post your review as you fire it up!

It does have the firegrate and a grilling grate in firebox ( which should fit cook chamber). If one of y'all as gets it - I could slop weld up another grate for it.........

I bought one over the weekend in Prattville, Al. Missing one grate (so it's not just happening in TX!!) and they knocked an additional $50 off when I mentioned it. The grate in the firebox fits in the others side so you're not out that much. Hope to get it seasoned and put to work in the next few days!!

Back