New Pit Day! 24 x48 Big Phil's Blue Smoke Smoker

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
Well, today was the day I've been waiting six months for! Today I took delivery of my 24x48 Blue Smoke Smoker from Big Phil's.

I was really worried I was going to have problems getting this thing in to my back yard, and it had to come through my house to get it where it needed to go. But, the delivery guy helped me get it done and it actually wasn't bad at all.

First impression... this thing is built like a tank! I went a little overboard on it and got just about every add on you could get, but I'm glad I did, as I've made the mistake in the past of cheaping out and then wishing I hadn't.

This one has an upper grate, and extra guage, a probe port, a folding stack, a stack damper, a flat top on the firebox, a baffle in the cook chamber like the Mill Scale and Franklin smoker's... except this one is removable, and it has a T bar pull handle mounted to the bottom of the barrel under the collector.

I didn't arrive until about 6PM, so I did the burn in, but after that it was too late to cook anything. I'm doing the first cook tomorrow morning. Planning to wake up early and get it fired up, and first thing will be a biscuit test... then I have a brisket, a slab of full pork spare ribs, a boneless turkey breast, and a whole chicken going on. We'll see how it goes!

IMO best value on the market right there. Congrats, looks like a cookin' machine.

Sounds like you're going to load it up properly in the morning.

Looks like an offset at the other end of your line-up there. What kind is that?

IMO best value on the market right there. Congrats, looks like a cookin' machine.

Sounds like you're going to load it up properly in the morning.

Looks like an offset at the other end of your line-up there. What kind is that?

The one at the other end is my KAT 24x48 Reverse Flow.

KJ - glad to see the pit made it safely - see you got Phil to make you a removable baffle plate like the one I had put together - I think it really helps to even out the temps - have a great day of cookin on the BSS - and you are right - they are built like a tank - Ted

That’s a damn fine cooker there. Nothing like breaking it in with a little bit of everything! Looking forward to seeing the cook.

Thanks guys. Did the biscuit test this morning, and went straight in to the first cook.

I was pretty happy with the results of the biscuit test. It definitely cooks evenly. The hot spot is as expected, dead center right next to the exchange, but aside from that it was very even.

Lower rack results:

Upper rack results:

And the first thing on... it had to be a brisket. A 15 lb packer trimmed down to 10 lb.

KJ - glad to see the pit made it safely - see you got Phil to make you a removable baffle plate like the one I had put together - I think it really helps to even out the temps - have a great day of cookin on the BSS - and you are right - they are built like a tank - Ted

Thanks, Ted, and yes, i did have him add that. The first cook, I'm trying it without that in, as I want to see how it behaves normally. Then the next cook I'll add that in and see how it changes things.

Can we see the baffle at some point? I’m curious to see it installed vs not.

You can see it in my second picture in my first post. It's based on the baffle Mill Scale uses, except it's not welded in, it just sits on top of the grate. It cost me $50 bucks.... so I figured why the heck not. If I don't find it use full I can just pull it out.

Back