THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A bunch of great observations here !!!!

This one reminded me of an afternoon cookup for a bunch of friends.....

I snack as i cook... I usually cook sausage and or ABTs when doing a long cook... Pitmasters choice!!! And maybe drink a few too!!!

Did a major amount of ABT's along with tri-tip & other stuff.......when I fix for a crowd, they are small bite-sized so they go farther........

Ate approx. 40 small ones that day.......no dinner for you !!!!

I have to taste everything as I am cutting it up just to see how it turned out but only small samples. I will stand just out of site and enjoy a few cold one's while listening to my friends and family compare this meal to others I have cooked and take notes to use on my next adventure in smoking!!

Rick!!

Funny to read this on the forum this today, as I was just having this conversation with a co-worker just this morning.

I honestly juts flat out lose my appetite. or maybe i just do a little too much sampling while pulling

A quick shower makes a world of difference. I get one probably 50% of the time but it makes dinner much more enjoyable.

Not to hijack the thread but it reminds me of a different phenomenon: I never go out to eat BBQ. I live 6 blocks from Oklahoma Joes and eat there at most once a year. Friends and others are always discussing their favorite Que and new places to try... I just smile and nod.

Big cooks, like for 200-400 people, the last thing I want is BBQ. I will taste it and make sure things are on point, but I won't load a plate. I did 6 cooks in 3 months with the smallest being 200 and the largest being 600. I swore I didn't want to say BBQ for 6 months and definitely not eat it. Then a new BBQ place in Springfield called City Barbecue opened and I was one of the first ones in line. Weird...

Absolutely! This happens most of the time to me. I think a lot of has to do with the fact that I am tasting the product and usually being pretty tired after a night of smoking. It does suck to watch others enjoy your your hard work and not feeling like joining them.

I too have a harder time eating after a longer cook. I think it has to do with tasting stuff a little while I'm cooking. Mainly it's the sauce or small bites of the sides I may be making to go with the Q. I don't eat very much but for some reason my appetite isn't there. Many times I'll eat the stuff the next day and think "man this is good". Weird.

I agree with all this. I shower makes a huge difference. If I go to an event where someone else made some awesome Q I will chow down big time. I find that brisket is so rich that after a day of cooking and eating it I am burping it up the next day and swearing I won't it for a while. Then after a month or so goes by my chemical dependency on brisket kicks in and I hit it again. BBQ leftovers rule! Especially ribs.

Only smoking at home so I take a shower as the meat is resting, snarf a little water up the nose. Feel refreshed and ready to eat.

Only smoking at home so I take a shower as the meat is resting, snarf a little water up the nose. Feel refreshed and ready to eat.

Yep, exactly what I said. Not to mention it helps give you a second wind. I'll even take a shower on a large remote cook. If I'm doing that I'll be in the motor home.

To all the folks that said they don't eat after a big cook, try the shower. Only takes a few minutes and you'll fell way better...and hungry!

I also enjoy watching others enjoy my creations, after a long cook. I generally will not eat much of the main courses. Rather, I enjoy sampling the sides that others may have brought to share. Also, I am always sure to make appetizers to share and snack on all day long.

Truthfully after a long cook i do not want to eat the food... Now if i am just cooking something small.. Steak... A couple spares over an open fire i will tear it up... I do some pretty big cooks at times... But i do not want to eat it.... I know i am not alone..... Now when frying bass... Bream... Catfish... I want either cause i am full... From eating it out of the platter... Why is this????

I'm going to think about that when I do my first cook on the cooker you're building for me, but I have to leave the crappie frying to my wife so there's something left for the table!

Ron

I'm right there with you brother.

When I do big cooks, it's usually for friends or family. I taste everything to make sure it turned out right, but generally I don't sit down to a big plate of meat. By the time the cook is done, I'm both pooped from all the work and honestly a little smoked-and-greased out. It's pretty common for me to have cooked a ton of meat and only eat a slice of brisket, a rib, and a bite or three of pulled pork.

I have a pellet grill so don't have as much problem as I'm not smelling it as much during the day. I have noticed the same thing though and find that I eat a lot more when I've done an overnight cook where the food is done by about 10am vs cooking during the day where I'm messing around with it more. I think a secondary cause on that though is beer. In the second case I've often filled up a bit by the time the food is done -- less of a worry around breakfast time.

I have the same issue with potato soup that my wife likes. Part of it involves sweating some onions and then making essentially a rue from there. It's not that long but because I have to be there stirring the whole time smelling it I tend not to want to soup once it's done. Next day -- definitely.

Same here. If I'm doing a few slabs of ribs for dinner I can tear into them, but if I'm doing a long cook I will sample and that is it.

I love to eat my bbq when it's done. Except competition style ribs those are too sweet when I finally got them looking better one or two bites and the rest was way too much. Pulled pork no matter what I demolish it. It is a staple in our diet. Nothing better than pulled pork smoked with cherry wood.

Back