After a long cook will you eat it... Your Q

I have always been like this, not just for bbq, back in the day when I cooked commercially, I could eat whatever I wanted, but instead I would go home and have a bologna sandwich.

Today if it is a short meal fix like leftovers or a hoagie I eat those meals right away, but like to hold off eating for awhile when it is a more prolonged cook no matter if it is an inside or outside cook Bbq always taste better the next day for me, if I want to really get the smokey taste I want from it.
Dave

I generally don't eat after i cook. Not sure why but I'll usually try and few things to make sure they are good, but other than that.. I'll have a beer.

Plenty of times I've enjoyed a nice bowl of cereal after a long smoky cook. Even if my wife saved me a plate, I end up giving it away to the last guest that shows up. If we have left overs they taste pretty good the next day though.

I've noticed that a shower refreshes me as well. It definetely seems to awaken my appetite a bit. Also, I always think that my Q isunder smoked if I eat it after a long cook, but if I shower between it I can taste the smoke and overall flavor profile much better.

Yes! A shower is a must before the guests show up. I'll be late getting back downstairs (guest can fix their own drink and grab some Fritos), meat is resting, and I'm getting the smoke out of my hair and clothes.

And seriously, you don't want me hosting you in the clothes I bbq in.

I'm just like TQ and most here. By the time I'm done cooking, I'm done with BBQ. I usually will eat some of the side dishes, especially beans.

While others are eating, I hoard away a slab of ribs and other meats to save for the next day. I look forward to the leftovers.

I cooked 64 hams for friends/family at Christmas and didn't smoke one for myself. Wife thought I was nuts, but who wants a ham after cooking them for 4 straight days?! I still don't want to eat any ham. And I love ham. Mmmm ... ham... now I think I actually might want some ham. And BBQ.

It has become a big joke with my family and friends that I don't eat after a long cook. I always tell them that "it's because I saw how it was cooked"
Once everything is on the serving table I usually sneak away for a quick shower. Then I rejoin the guests refreshed and ready for a cold one but not the food.
Now a brisket sandwich with onions, pickles and sauce the next day is my favorite.

Granted, my idea of a big cook is probably substantially smaller scale than what you're talking about, but I can't wait to dig in once it's done. Depending on what I'm Q'ing, I usually try to stager what goes in so I have stuff to pick on the whole smoke.

What made me think of this i was at work last night at the refinery... Eating some ribs and pulled pork that i had cooked a couple weeks ago.. And i was enjoying it.... A couple weeks ago when i cooked it.... Not so much ... Yes a shower in mandatory before i eat... I guess it is the challenge of the cook or maybe suspense.. Or something... I love to feed people.. And give the food away.... But for me after a long cook i am totally exhausted... And when i am doing the cook truthfully i really do not want anyone in my business so to speak... Just do not want someone screwing with my meat...:wink: U prolly know what i mean.... I am not really surprised at the answers.... I think as cooks it is the passion ... And The desire to please others and make them happy... After you get those kind comments about the food... It made it all worth it for me.... My biggest problem is this.... I way way overcook... Too much food..... I just want to make sure ... Everyone has enough.... As far as brisket goes.. For me it is. Looking back and saying i nailed that sucker.... .... Truthfully i don't like it that much it is for me... To look at that brisket and say.... I thought you were a challenge..... I just kicked yo butt.... You know what i mean!!!!

By the way never cooked a brisket before joining this site.... Learned it right by looking and listening... I thought they only Cooked brisket in Texas!!!

After a big cook, I usually just take a sample of the meat. Just to get a taste to see if it is worthy enough. Eat more sides or other main dishes that I did not cook.

I pretty much never eat when I cook, never. Last week I needed to get some good pics of my pulled pork so I cooked a 19lb 2-butt pack, did my slaw and the 2 sauces I use and made a batch of mac salad, took the pics, then wasted a lot of food, never took a bite. I was told by the 2 people that did eat some that it was the best they have ever had from me or anywhere, lol. Pics came out ok.

pulledporka.jpg

pulledporkb.jpg

pulledporkc.jpg

Dayum... That is beautiful... I sho believe i could get that down

same way here. I never feel hungry or want to sit down for a real "meal"... I love the taste testing of my bbq.... I think by the time I am done picking at the brisket after/during slicing, testing a rib or two, stealing all the best barky pieces of butt while pulling I have probably eaten the equivalent of a plate of food. between that and whatever apps or snacks and beers throughout the cook, I usually only have a small plate if anything. It all tastes great the next day or when I raid the fridge a few hours later.

I'm just like TQ and most here. By the time I'm done cooking, I'm done with BBQ. I usually will eat some of the side dishes, especially beans.

While others are eating, I hoard away a slab of ribs and other meats to save for the next day. I look forward to the leftovers.

I cooked 64 hams for friends/family at Christmas and didn't smoke one for myself. Wife thought I was nuts, but who wants a ham after cooking them for 4 straight days?! I still don't want to eat any ham. And I love ham. Mmmm ... ham... now I think I actually might want some ham. And BBQ.

I feel the same way about ribs - made 25 racks a few months ago for an engagement party, all on a weber kettle with smokenator. Sealed them and quickly chilled them, bringing them up to temp at the party (amazing feedback on them, was worried about the fact I was reheating them) - took well over 24 hours in a rain storm, was one of the most fun experiences of my life - and sat back with a few beers watched the lightning storm from the sheltered deck.... but as a result I now cannot even think about eating ribs as a meal now. That said, I still have a great time making them for friends, and love seeing them enjoy it. When cooking for myself on a normal day, I am still q'ing and grilling but I am really experimenting - anything from stews on fire, playing around with various hardwoods as planks, turning my weber kettle into a wood fire pizza oven (strangely, pizza on the grill I never get sick of - must be the endless options for toppings). Often mid-week I cook stuff that many of my unadventurous/conservative-eating friends/family would not be too enthusiastic about. I always say, my motivation with BBQ is more about who's in the chairs than what's on the table. That said, I never seem to go hungry.

Depends what I've been cooking. If it's 3 hours of smoking and grilling, I'll munch as I go. A patty here, sausage and veggies there. By the time I'm done, I'll have a little bit of whatever I was smoking and I'll be very satisfied (really adds up to a meal when I think about it). If it's just a smoke and I'm not munching, I'm definitely ready to eat. I'll clean up and shower while the meat is resting, then chicken, ribs, pulled pork, brisket, bring it on :-D

Back