After a long cook will you eat it... Your Q

Truthfully after a long cook i do not want to eat the food... Now if i am just cooking something small.. Steak... A couple spares over an open fire i will tear it up... I do some pretty big cooks at times... But i do not want to eat it.... I know i am not alone..... Now when frying bass... Bream... Catfish... I want either cause i am full... From eating it out of the platter... Why is this????
I love this post - because I am exactly the same way. Just figured I was weird.

You brought out a previous unspoken that I have seen tendency. Hi, my name is Allen and I don't eat my own BBQ. Seriously, after a long cook or turn ins at a comp, I just can't. Some of it may be alcohol induced but I don't eat it. I actually tell my friends and family that I don't really even like BBQ, I just like cooking it. Thanks again. It's good to know I am not alone. :becky:

if i smell the food for to long then i dont want to eat it.for me fried food is the worst.if i stand by the grease and fry i big batch of food i will never eat when its done.sad to say but even the fried fish i cant eat or ill get sick.ill eat a few pieces of fish from the first batch cooked.

When I cook large scale for parties or family gatherings I rarely eat anything. After tasting and adjusting seasonings and flavors, I am over it!

I find myself in the same situation when I am cooking briskets and various other Q for 4 families and myself. When its time to eat, I rarely eat much, as I am almost full from tasting foods. I also feel my taste buds are saturated with Q until the next day, the leftovers are amazing!

I agree with all of you, whenever I do a long cook, when I’m done I just want to sit back and relax knowing everything came out good. We have just recently started letting our meat rest a little longer than normal, or at least normal to me. While this is going on my wife makes me go take a shower and get cleaned up while she is getting some sides together. It seems when I do this no matter how many ABT’S or moink balls I eat or sampling what I’m cooking, when I get out I feel refreshed and I’m ready to eat, I may not eat as much as I would normally, but I get at least one plate and enjoy it.

Great thread Paul! I'm with ya on this one. I always just figured it was because I piece and snack on it so much while I'm cooking it.. Crusty little bit here, fatty edge piece there, that I'm full by the time we are actually sitting down to eat, but I think you're on to something. Maybe all that wood smoke acts as an appetite suppressant, who knows.

I agree with all of you, whenever I do a long cook, when I’m done I just want to sit back and relax knowing everything came out good. We have just recently started letting our meat rest a little longer than normal, or at least normal to me. While this is going on my wife makes me go take a shower and get cleaned up while she is getting some sides together. It seems when I do this no matter how many ABT’S or moink balls I eat or sampling what I’m cooking, when I get out I feel refreshed and I’m ready to eat, I may not eat as much as I would normally, but I get at least one plate and enjoy it.

I've noticed that a shower refreshes me as well. It definetely seems to awaken my appetite a bit. Also, I always think that my Q isunder smoked if I eat it after a long cook, but if I shower between it I can taste the smoke and overall flavor profile much better.

For me it all depends upon how much I snacked on during the cook. But I always eat after. Normally take a quick break after getting all the food setup for everyone to get their plates and I can relax and have another beer while folks start eating, then I grab a plate. I'm around bbq 7 days a week, but never tire of it. After an event I may not want to eat it again that night, but next day I absolutely can. I might love the process more, but still love the food :-D

It's like this for me as well. I love when others cook great food and I can sit and really enjoy it. When I cook for myself I know how it was done and generally what the taste will be like so it loses that bit of mystery you get when taking that first bite. Faster cooks less so.

I will have to try that shower trick though! I can see that helping.

After cooking a large meal all day I still eat dinner, although it is smaller portions. I am normally tasting everything throughout the cook so I can get the seasonings right etc.

At first my friends would ask if that is all that I am eating. But after the same story of having to taste everything I'm not super hungry, they finally got the hint.

Like most others here, Everyone says my Q is stellar, but one bite and
I'm out.

Its not that I dont like the taste of my cooking, I just dont eat it.

:der::noidea:

Dang Paul! Awesome thread. I thought I was the only one lol. I hardly ever touch a rib or something on a big cook with all kinds of meat and the only reason is to see how it turned out. I just LOVE the whole process and my company enjoying the food. They'll look at me like this guy is crazy putting out this food and not eating hardly any of it. I'll drink up a bunch of beer though.:-D

I do enjoy the small steak,etc cooks like you said.

I haven't done large cooks but have done some long ones with 3 or 4 sides and although when cutting/pulling/slicing I'm always tasting I love to sit down and eat with the rest of the guests. Love to be part of what their experience is and love to hear the comment. I do try to limit the apps though for myself and my guests. After an experience where the cook took longer than expected, the guests all filled up on apps and hardly had an appetite for the main course. I was pissed after all that work. After that I told the wife, a few small apps and that's it. I'm not putting all this time and effort into the meal just to have people full by the time its served. So now I starve them lol.

Great thread! I really enjoy eating my bbq after I cook it and even more as leftovers. Like others here, the shorter cooks, I seem to enjoy more the same day ribs, chicken, etc. That 4 to 5 hour range. The longer cooks (briskets and butts) not as much on the cook day. I will ask my family can y'all taste the smoke in the meat? They look at me like I am crazy, sometimes I can't even smell the smoke anymore. I had read that taking shower and a change of clothes helps some as stated by Smokin J's and Nvoges, but I usually still have bbq to process and put up in the freezer after a cook, (I believe if I am going to fire a pit up and cook 12+ hours then I am going to cook a load of meat) so, I haven't tried taking a shower during the resting phase.

Back