After a long cook will you eat it... Your Q

I've also noticed that after a long day's smoke my food doesn't taste as smokey. I figure I'm desensitized a bit. But it's still good.

And I have a tendency to munch on it while I'll pulling or slicing or whatever. Especially the barkey pieces . . .

But yeah, the next few days are really better. I like eating a pile of pulled pork, but nachos or stirfry or pizza or . . . are pretty farkin good :shock:

One of my biggest satisfactions is to watch the enjoyment on the faces of family and friends enjoying the food and que I put on the table, I think that tempers my hunger quite a bit.

I notice the same thing after making a big batch of sausage or processing a deer or elk, I usually do not want any of what I have has my face buried in for hours and hours

Being a culinary arts instructor at a post secondary vocational school for 25 years I have first hand experience with this phenomonon. It's weird. we'll cook for 300 people and when it comes time to throw something down (usually standing up) I'm not hungry. I guess after looking at it, handling it, smelling it for several hours I just don't want any.

I"m the same way. After a long cook I generally am not that hungry and I have to rely on my wife to tell me whether it is any good or not.

I believe for me the reason is because even though I thoroughly enjoy the Qing process, the anticipation of the outcome can work my nerves a bit.. I LOVE and HAAATE the anticipation. You spend several hours of your time, you get up at 2, 3, 4 AM sometimes to be ready in time for a butt load of people to come over and of course they expect to eat but I want to give them a real BBQ experience. My wife will say I am way too critical of my own food but when you are in a state where there is no where to get really good BBQ, you have to do what you can to step it up. By the time all of this takes place I have zero appetite. Good dinner conversation and happy faces is all I need.

I am just like the rest of you when it comes to eating after cooking and smelling the smoke. When we are finished with a comp I am looking for a McDonalds ice cream cone. That is the only thing that taste good and I don't buy them any other time.

After a long pork butt or brisket cook, I'm usually so smoked myself that I just want a shower. I'll pick sometimes at the finished product, but usually save for the next day. Love it, but after a long day around the smoker, I'm usually done.

Ribs and chicken I eat right away.

I'm the same way..cooking for a large group usually leaves me mentally exhausted and I lose my appetite.
This doesn't happen when I cook butts or steaks for the family and friends. I will tear that up!

Right there with everyone else. Even if I fast for the day, by the time a brisket or shoulder is done I just don't want any. If I find myself hungry a few hours later I may pick at a little, but don't usually have a taste for it until the next day.

I used to be this way when I had a smoker that I had to adjust air or fuel every 20 minutes. Especially during long cooks. I'd actually get sick of the smell after 10-12 hours of smelling it. Now that I have my humphreys it's more set and forget and I'm not smelling it none stop I'm more than ready to eat it when it comes off.

I'll take bites here and there to taste how it's coming along but that tends to be about it. Sometimes after a little time passes I'll make a plate, but I won't be very hungry. I will hit the desserts hard though!

This reminds me of when I worked in restaurants and after work we'd all be hungry and go get something to eat.

I can honestly use any of the above responses and it would be true at one time or another.

Holiday cooking, I think I pick and taste so much throughout the day that im stuffed by the time we sit down to eat, or just too tired.

Competition cooking.. no way i eat the BBQ, except the extra chicken i make specifically to eat for lunch. I look for a bowl of pasta or a pizza after a weekend of cooking.. no meat for a few days after a contest. Im sick of it from just handling it.

Chicken is really the only BBQ my family can eat now because we are so burnt out on it. We wood roast chicken(BBQ at >325 degrees) often, but if I make ribs or brisket, it will just sit in the fridge until i give it to a neighbor. I love to cook it and experiment, so I make it and give it to someone or someplace. During the summer my therapy cooks.. those cooks where you just sit around and feed the fire and hangout with some good music and beverages.. I set up a table and cooler in the driveway and the neighbors that are doing yard work reap the benefits. Thats a blast to do all day.

regular dinners. like steaks and such is dinner.. i eat it.. hangers steaks and tri tips, i HAVE TOO make extra because its a guarantee that one will not make it to the kitchen, or even off the cutting board in front of the pit.(that ones mine, and who i INVITE into the pit area, quietly. :) Chefs choice right? yeah, im a snob.. (insert evil laugh here) )

on some holidays like easter, its all Italian food, and damn, I'm a complete pig all day.. By the time i sit down, ive already expanded 2 pants sizes.

Truthfully after a long cook i do not want to eat the food... Now if i am just cooking something small.. Steak... A couple spares over an open fire i will tear it up... I do some pretty big cooks at times... But i do not want to eat it.... I know i am not alone..... Now when frying bass... Bream... Catfish... I want either cause i am full... From eating it out of the platter... Why is this????

Yes I do, but only after I take a shower and wash the smoke out of my hair and nose. If I don't do that I can't hardly touch the stuff. It took me a while to figure that out, but it works. It used to kill me watching everyone enjoying my Q and I didn't want any..:cry:

So I'm not the only one....as much as I LOVE the whole process, by the time the food comes off I am burnt out and am just not that hungry. I'll have a rib or 2 or maybe a small sandwich but I'm good.

I think just the process of and the enjoyment people get out of it is all I'm really after.

Truthfully after a long cook i do not want to eat the food... Now if i am just cooking something small.. Steak... A couple spares over an open fire i will tear it up... I do some pretty big cooks at times... But i do not want to eat it.... I know i am not alone..... Now when frying bass... Bream... Catfish... I want either cause i am full... From eating it out of the platter... Why is this????

When I do a big cook I'm that way. Just like to nibble here and there and not make a plate of food.
When it's just me and a pork butt, ribs, chicken or a brisket, I tear into that thing with a fork til I'm full and start thinkin' up future meals I'm going to make with the leftovers.

Fried fish, calf fries, etc. get gobbled up as soon as they come out of the hot oil. No plate needed. lol

One thing I've noticed lately. I don't always want smoked food. I want plain ole regular chili with no smoked meat in it . I want plain ole chicken and noodles with no smoked meat in it.
Not sure what's up with that. Maybe I've reached my limit on smoked food. :grin:

Back