Aaron Franklin Secret Ingredient Is....Beef Tallow?

I read the interview. Very interesting. When asked if his current rub was what he used at Franklin bbq: “ JL: I can’t say.”
Makes me think there was a non-disclosure involved. Maybe the threat of legal action could be keeping people silent.

Jeremy- welcome and keep the vids coming. You do a great job mixing in topics as well as explaining the science behind what you are doing. I’ve learned a lot from them and look forward to new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think you are on to something. Watch this video by Texicana BBQ, who used to work at Franklin as well. I bet he is under NDA and can't be open about everything.

https://youtu.be/xENXHjKa2wc?t=873

He talks about wrapping it, and only shows himself using apple cider vinegar; but if you look very carefully there is a cut in the video in the middle of wrapping where he turns the brisket and a very brief shot of white fatty substance. Sitting next to him is a bucket that he doesn't talk about labeled butter -- could be Texas butter (tallow). After the cut he says that the apple cider vinegar and tallow help the wrap. He doesn't directly respond to any of the comments asking for clarification about why he mentioned tallow but didn't show it in the video.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
I'd love to see you do a very long active hold with one of those commercial high-humidity ovens. I think that is one of his other secrets. An 8-hour hold also gives a lot more time to reabsorb any tallow, and the video I posted above looks like he uses way more than you did in your video.

Last edited:
I'd love to see you do a very long active hold with one of those commercial high-humidity ovens. I think that is one of his other secrets.

Alto Shaams and/or the like are used at some of my favorite places, this I know for certain :thumb: to be fair, I don’t understand how you’d have an 11am-11pm que joint without em. Both a tool and necessity, perhaps.

I’ve thought about snagging one from an equipment auction to play around with. For home use, maybe a turkey roaster is sufficient, not sure how the temp consistency compares between the two. If there is a difference, my guess is the commercial unit is more steady.

I think you are on to something. Watch this video by Texicana BBQ, who used to work at Franklin as well. I bet he is under NDA and can't be open about everything.

https://youtu.be/xENXHjKa2wc?t=873

He talks about wrapping it, and only shows himself using apple cider vinegar; but if you look very carefully there is a cut in the video in the middle of wrapping where he turns the brisket and a very brief shot of white fatty substance. Sitting next to him is a bucket that he doesn't talk about labeled butter -- could be Texas butter (tallow). After the cut he says that the apple cider vinegar and tallow help the wrap. He doesn't directly respond to any of the comments asking for clarification about why he mentioned tallow but didn't show it in the video.

Yep. I couldn’t include everything I found in the video I made but this video helped to confirm what I believed

I'd love to see you do a very long active hold with one of those commercial high-humidity ovens. I think that is one of his other secrets. An 8-hour hold also gives a lot more time to reabsorb any tallow, and the video I posted above looks like he uses way more than you did in your video.

I have used alto shaams in the past. It is a total game changer. You can approximate it with a cooler but the temp will drop too much before you can get a 8-12 rest. This means you have to pull the brisket out, warm it and replace it in the cooler

Alto Shaams and/or the like are used at some of my favorite places, this I know for certain :thumb: to be fair, I don’t understand how you’d have an 11am-11pm que joint without em. Both a tool and necessity, perhaps.

I’ve thought about snagging one from an equipment auction to play around with. For home use, maybe a turkey roaster is sufficient, not sure how the temp consistency compares between the two. If there is a difference, my guess is the commercial unit is more steady.

I think the difference is that they have a water source and let you have a high level of humidity. Air can only hold so much water, so if you have a separate water vapor source saturating the air, then it will reduce water loss in your meat.

Franklin used to use an alto shaam but switched to something custom designed to give convection heating. I'm not sure what brands match his current setup best.

I have used alto shaams in the past. It is a total game changer. You can approximate it with a cooler but the temp will drop too much before you can get a 8-12 rest. This means you have to pull the brisket out, warm it and replace it in the cooler

My question on the holding oven isn't so much about the usefulness of it. I understand how important it would be for logistical purposes for large-scale BBQ.

What I wonder is does a brisket come out of it better than it was when it went in. Franklin lets his briskets cool on an open air rack (still wrapped in butcher paper) until they get to 140, and then they go into the holding oven.

I would like to see 2 briskets cooked and rested on a counter until 140. The first one is served at that point, and the second one is placed into a high-humidity holding oven for several additional hours.

Nope. I found a home for it in LA as I didn’t have room to bring it.

You said were gonna buy a Masterbuilt gravity feed and make a vid, how's that going ?

Last month, I bought the Masterbuilt 560 on sale at Wal Mart for $250. I've done four cooks, and frankly , I'm far more impressed than I thought I would be.

I think the difference is that they have a water source and let you have a high level of humidity. Air can only hold so much water, so if you have a separate water vapor source saturating the air, then it will reduce water loss in your meat.

Franklin used to use an alto shaam but switched to something custom designed to give convection heating. I'm not sure what brands match his current setup best.

That's what I was thinking when I asked about using tallow being similar to spritzing.

For what it's worth - I purchased and tested an Oster 22 qt. roaster oven this week.

I added ~ .5" of water to the bottom and placed a cooling rack in the bottom to hold the brisket above the water. I used two separate temp probes (bbq gurus) about 1.5" above the water to simulate where a brisket would lay and graphed the temp over the next 8 hours. Once you dial the desired temperature in, my example held temperature within +- 4* over 8 hours. For a $60 oven, I was happy with my findings. I'm cooking my next brisket on Wednesday and plan to hold it 8-12 hours until it's served on Thursday evening. We'll see :-D

If humidity during the hold is important, then can you include a warm damp towel in your cooler or a small pan of warm water? Asking for those of us who are pretty darn sure we'll never have an Alto Sham or similar pro equipment...

If humidity during the hold is important, then can you include a warm damp towel in your cooler or a small pan of warm water? Asking for those of us who are pretty darn sure we'll never have an Alto Sham or similar pro equipment...

Foil boat, cook in tallow, leftover tallow too
Liquid gold

Last edited:
I was surprised by the results. This is something that I'm going to try in the future. I like using my brisket trimmings to make tallow. Smashed 'taters fried in tallow is a family favorite!

Jeremy, did you drain the liquid in the control brisket? I thought that the control brisket would have had more liquid in it. After all, it was bathing in the tallow that was formed during the brisket cook itself. Not only that, it was already wrapped in soaked paper.

Another variable we haven't considered is that tallow brisket was vented and the other wasn't. What if the control brisket continued to "cook" in the hot wrap and that's what dried it out? Just another thought.

Keep up the good work!

Back