Has Anyone Seen The New Mad Scientist Video?

My best brisket to date was a choice done in an Oklahoma Joe. I've made plenty of great briskets, mostly in my LSG 42" offset. None as good as the OK Joe. I really don't think the smoker makes much of a difference if you have good temp control/fire management. Maybe it's easier to control a better smoker, but I disagree with Mad Scientist finding. Disclaimer I only watched the results.

No but I think I talked myself into getting one!

Ok, can we get a poll erected about this? Is leather your thing? Do you have metal studs and chains adorning your apron? Do you wear forearm leather sleeves with metal studs? Do you go Scottish style under your 'apron'? Do you listen to Judas Priest while smokint your select grade brisket, or are you listening to Ranger Doug on Willie's Roadhouse while smoking your A5 waygu brisket? A complicated poll to say the least. But Bob, you can do it!

We could also learn a lot about our fellow Brethren. Please make it a public poll so we can learn more about each others individual preferences. :mrgreen:

Do you own one?

I do!!:becky::becky::becky: Not because of Jeremy Yoder but because my sis in law is leather "craftslady" and she made me one. Haven't worn it yet though.:-D

aj80meEh.jpg

I just use Youtube to keep my screen active, so my Teams status still shows I'm at the computer, when I'm likely tending to the smoker or running to the grocery store.

Hold up...this works?

It does for me at least. I haven't dug into settings, but I realized if I leave it open, then the screens don't lock (and I can't adjust the lock time settings) and that's how Teams reads if I'm 'available' or 'away/inactive'

I just use Youtube to keep my screen active, so my Teams status still shows I'm at the computer, when I'm likely tending to the smoker or running to the grocery store.

Install Teams on your phone, you'll show available 24hrs a day. :wink:

That doesn’t work for me. My laptop still goes inactive, sometimes while I’m right there!
There used to be a privacy feature not to show inactive.

Nope, not for us. I use that to still be able to respond from the store, but it will show 'away' or inactive. Not that big of a deal, I just open a podcast that I like, figure it helps his view count, I listen to it later while driving, win win.

The only thing I can actually get interesting in watching on YouTube, is Hot Ones.

Meh..
I’d rather watch paint dry.

If I want to watch a meat experiment, I have many smokers out back.
I’ll never understand watching other people bbq on YouTube.

Also it doesn’t matter what the results are. Buying Waygu to make bbq makes as much sense as buying diamonds to gravel your driveway.

nsQpeJA.png

I do!!:becky::becky::becky: Not because of Jeremy Yoder but because my sis in law is leather "craftslady" and she made me one. Haven't worn it yet though.:-D

aj80meEh.jpg

How cool is that....it's got your avatar on it!

I'm leery of YouTube creators.

I've grown tomatoes off and on for 40 years, every year for the past 20 years. I've developed my own techniques and the variety I like to plant.

Its a long story, but last winter I got inspired by YT vids to make changes. I thought maybe I'd been too closed minded and needed to open up to new ways. Thought I could improve on what I was doing.

And this past growing season was a disaster. My worst year that I can recall. And needless to say, I'm going back to my tried and true and I don't watch any more YT vids on growing tomatoes.

No matter what your interest YT can be helpful, but there's also a lot of bunk out there. A lot of these creators gotta keep uploading new video to keep the revenue stream growing and not have to go back to their day job.

I'm leery of YouTube creators.

I've grown tomatoes off and on for 40 years, every year for the past 20 years. I've developed my own techniques and the variety I like to plant.

Its a long story, but last winter I got inspired by YT vids to make changes. I thought maybe I'd been too closed minded and needed to open up to new ways. Thought I could improve on what I was doing.

And this past growing season was a disaster. My worst year that I can recall. And needless to say, I'm going back to my tried and true and I don't watch any more YT vids on growing tomatoes.

No matter what your interest YT can be helpful, but there's also a lot of bunk out there. A lot of these creators gotta keep uploading new video to keep the revenue stream growing and not have to go back to their day job.
So many of us have done this with so many things. Of course BBQ is the popular one here, but KISS has never been more relevant. You honed a skill for 20 years and of course you are always looking to improve, but those 20 years proved more valuable than any video. They are a good resource, but need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

For me, the most interesting aspect of the video was that everyone who tasted it agreed that the $1.99/lb choice grade brisket was better than the $184 wagyu brisket. Jeremy didn't attribute that to the smoker that cooked it.

I really enjoy a lot of the YouTube personalities for the most part. There are a certain few with the "It ain't real bbq unless you do it my way" attitude. Those I have no use for but Babyback Maniac, Jeremy Yoder, Chud's, etc I find pretty entertaining and informative. They've all cooked way more bbq than I ever will so I value any information they might pass along. If a guy has cooked several hundred if not thousands of briskets working in a professional setting then I might want to consider what he has to say. But it's apparently not for everyone. :-D
I don't get to smoke as often as I would like so I really enjoy having it in my living room for some reason. I dig it.

Exactly this for me. I like all those guys, and they really do enjoy getting info out there as well as just enjoying themselves. Yoder has done a ton of brisket videos, so many that he likely repeats some things. I've also noticed him shilling more for some stuff that makes me question his insistence on scientific methods, etc. But that's ok. He's still entertaining, and I'd still love to cook with him.

A bunch of those guys who always get together could make some money from idiots like me by hosting a bbq weekend somewhere.

Back