Has Anyone Seen The New Mad Scientist Video?

Meh..
I’d rather watch paint dry.

If I want to watch a meat experiment, I have many smokers out back.
I’ll never understand watching other people bbq on YouTube.

Also it doesn’t matter what the results are. Buying Waygu to make bbq makes as much sense as buying diamonds to gravel your driveway.

Geeze the hostility. At least, provide some evidence of your research or your opinion sounds condescending...you have all the smokers in the world to prove your point...

Geeze the hostility. At least, provide some evidence of your research or your opinion sounds condescending...you have all the smokers in the world to prove your point...

Lol
I’m hostile because I think watching BBQ YouTube channels is boring?
Or because I think it’s a waste of money to buy Waygu beef for bbq?

Sounds condescending? Yea you got me there.
I don’t have much hope for the future of bbq with some seeing the need to buy $200 briskets to make good BBQ.

It’s actually good to see some resistance to this nonsense.

Meh..
I’d rather watch paint dry.

If I want to watch a meat experiment, I have many smokers out back.
I’ll never understand watching other people bbq on YouTube.
SmoothBoarBBQ said:
What is it about Mad Scientist BBQ that makes this forum lose their absolute mind? It's as if people on here get so triggered when they see a YouTube video that they are incapable of coherent thoughts.

I occasionally put YouTube videos on in the background while I do other things. Especially on days that I can't cook. I like to pick up new ideas and techniques. However, there are just so many brisket videos I can watch.

The early videos from Chud's used to annoy me, but he has toned it down a bit and they are better now. His sausage videos are informative.

Mad Scientist doesn't do too much for me personally. I find him kind of repetitive and sometimes he lets his opinions interfere with his "science". He did a video comparing traditional offsets and reverse flows. He claimed that RF's don't draw well and cook slower. My experience having owned a Klose Offset and Shirley RF does not align with that at all. Also, I find some of his cooks unrealistic - who's actually going to buy a prime brisket and braise it in $30 Waygu tallow? Jeremy clearly has some fans. If you like his stuff, by all means watch it.

What is it about Mad Scientist BBQ that makes this forum lose their absolute mind? It's as if people on here get so triggered when they see a YouTube video that they are incapable of coherent thoughts.[/QUOTE said:
I agree, not quite sure why there is that reaction to him or other "YouTubers" who cook BBQ. There are some that I won't even watch (not going to name names), but I happen to like the guy and he's cooked a lot more BBQ, of all types, than I ever will. He's obviously making a pretty good living off what he's doing and seems to be enjoying himself, so good for him.

I agree, not quite sure why there is that reaction to him or other "YouTubers" who cook BBQ. There are some that I won't even watch (not going to name names), but I happen to like the guy and he's cooked a lot more BBQ, of all types, than I ever will. He's obviously making a pretty good living off what he's doing and seems to be enjoying himself, so good for him.

I’m probably biased.

I run a BBQ group of over 78k members on Farkbook.

We spend more time retraining newbies, whose only bbq education has come from YouTube, than we do most anything else.
(I.E. 6 hours for baby back ribs, cause so and so said to on YouTube)

Most YouTubers are focused on content and selling stuff.
Without new content, they lose subscribers. There’s only so many ways to cook a brisket or a pork butt, so they improvise.

I am seeing more bad advice about BBQ than ever before and most of it seems to be coming from YouTube.

For me it has nothing to do with who the YouTube presenter is, the fact it is on YouTube is enough for me to question it.

I’m probably biased.

I run a BBQ group of over 78k members on Farkbook.

CDHBRAD: Yes, I just found it and joined. Looking forward to the discussions.

I am seeing more bad advice about BBQ than ever before and most of it seems to be coming from YouTube.
CDHBRAD: Agreed, that is why I basically watch for entertainment, not the "How To" aspects, to the extent that is even addressed.

For me it has nothing to do with who the YouTube presenter is, the fact it is on YouTube is enough for me to question it.
CDHBRAD: I don't disagree, there is a lot of self interest promotion. However, some are informative. Cycling is one of my other interests and I build my own bikes, including the wheels I use. There are a good number of videos on YouTube that address issues with cycling equipment that are not addressed in the information you get from the manufacturers. I recently needed to put longer jockey wheel cages on a rear derailleur to increase cassette capacity and Shimano did not include any instructions with the parts......but I found several very informative videos on YouTube that covered the process step by step. None of those guys were selling anything that I can recall.

"What is it about Mad Scientist BBQ that makes this forum lose their absolute mind? It's as if people on here get so triggered when they see a YouTube video that they are incapable of coherent thoughts."

While I did find the video and results interesting, I knew the words "Mad Scientist BBQ" were going to be a trigger for some. Partially the reason why I posted it. :p

My other Mad Scientist BBQ post was with his tallow video. That thread was pages, and pages of pros/cons. We even had Jeremy join the thread. A lighting rod for some here on the forum.

I enjoy his videos. It's no different than a bbq forum. You'll get all kinds of right and wrong answers from folks. The best part..... there are no right or wrong answers. That's the part of my fascination with food and cooking. You can make and cook food however you want and what best suits your appetite. I can tell someone a rare steak is the best steak. My sister-in-law will tell you different. You can learn something even if it isn't your ideal flavor or technique in a video or forum format.

Last edited:
"What is it about Mad Scientist BBQ that makes this forum lose their absolute mind? It's as if people on here get so triggered when they see a YouTube video that they are incapable of coherent thoughts."

While I did find the video and results interesting, I knew the words "Mad Scientist BBQ" were going to be a trigger for some. Partially the reason why I posted it. :p

You should feel proud that you pulled it off.

How long did you sit and think about it ? Did it go as you expected ?

My other Mad Scientist BBQ post was with his tallow video. That thread was pages, and pages of pros/cons. We even had Jeremy join the thread. A lighting rod for some here on the forum.

I enjoy his videos. It's no different than a bbq forum. You'll get all kinds of right and wrong answers from folks. The best part..... there are no right or wrong answers. That's the part of my fascination with food and cooking. You can make and cook food however you want and what best suits your appetite. I can tell someone a rare steak is the best steak. My sister-in-law will tell you different. You can learn something even if it isn't your ideal flavor or technique in a video or forum format.

Sounds to me like you’re overthinking it.

I don’t see a single post disparaging him directly, or anyone getting triggered over it.

All of YouTube bbq instruction is nonsense (in my opinion), not just him.

You could’ve replaced his name with any other U-tuber and got the same response from me.

No hate on those that enjoy it, it’s just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
I enjoy Youtube cook videos some are informative, some give good ideas. However, you have to realize many times to take their ideas and custom for your cooking style and cooker. Several of the recipes I have gotten I've tweaked to cook a different time and temp because I prefer them that way. Also, if we have 2 different cookers I am going to have to monitor and adjust so that my cooker can finish the cook, how it cooks. To each their own. I did find video informative, but doubt I buy a $200 dollar brisket or a $10,000 smoker haha (not saying his smoker was that much).

The FatStack smoker he used in that video was their 120 gallon model that sells for $4,700. He also has a 1,000 Gallon Fatstack that he had them build when he was in CA that I would expect would be $15-20K or more, if purchased today.

Or....or.... and hear me out....maybe it's because they've been used historically for cooking (especially when using fire for cooking) for hundreds if not thousands of years. They are very easy to clean, provide protection against high heat, and last much longer than a cloth apron. When dirty or greasy all it requires is a quick wipe down ; no need to put leather in a washing machine.

https://www.aaronleathergoods.com/blog/leather-cooking-apron-benefits

What is it about Mad Scientist BBQ that makes this forum lose their absolute mind? It's as if people on here get so triggered when they see a YouTube video that they are incapable of coherent thoughts.

I guess it depends on the leather. If I splatter grease or sauce on my leather jacket, it wouldn't just wipe off. It sinks in right away like rain does.

BTW....My Spectrum Security Suite told me that's a dangerous site in your link and said don't surf there for some reason.

You should feel proud that you pulled it off.

How long did you sit and think about it ? Did it go as you expected ?

Hahaha. I did find the video interesting. I knew once I posted it to the forum that it wouldn't go unnoticed. (Just because the way it went last time I posted with Mad Scientist BBQ saying that tallow might be Aaron Franklin's secret) If it was some other average Joe who made the video I probably wouldn't have posted it. I knew the Mad Scientist BBQ name in the title would give the post some legs. I've had my laugh's.

It's an entertaining premise for a video but I don't think the results are that meaningful. I don't think Jeremy Yoder thinks it's that meaningful either. It's probably been ages since he fired up the Old Country and he probably uses the Fatstack all the time. The Old Country is going to be fussier. I used to have one.

Why does someone wear a LEATHER apron when cooking?

Are you gonna throw it in the washer when that BBQ grease and sauce gets on it?

Answer: I want to sell a bunch of them!

Nothing against him or any BBQ youtube video. I watch them sometimes.

Just can't figure out a leather apron. WTF? :crazy:

I'm just winging it here but may I suggest:

Leather Aprons have been around for hundreds of years, and for good reason. Blacksmiths would use them when smelting ore and forging weapons, and nowadays leather aprons are really popular with outdoor grilling. However, their popularity with everyday cooking has been on the rise. Here are three reasons why leather aprons are great for cooking.

DURABILITY

Real authentic leather is very strong and durable, making it a great choice for cooking! There is a reason why blacksmiths used them when working next to high temperatures. Contrasted with traditional fabric aprons, which run the risk of catching fire or falling apart over time, leather has a natural resistance to heat, which can come in handy when using ovens and stoves. Leather also lasts a long time because of the way it is tanned and processed, making a good long term investment!

PROTECTION

Leather is naturally heat resistant, which makes it an ideal choice to protect yourself against the high temperatures you come in contact with in the kitchen. It is also a good deterrent to sharp objects and tools. Normal aprons are thin and cut easily, but with leather aprons, they provide a more substantial layer of protection against knives and other sharp tools.

EASY TO CLEAN WHEN DIRTY

Spills on normal aprons can be a pain. The spill can stain the fabric and sometimes bleed through and get on your clothes. Leather aprons are much easier to clean! Most spills can be wiped off of the apron without any further cleaning required!

Ladies, it's not that hard. If you like Mad Scientist, watch his videos. If you dont, then don't. Personally, I like them. I would have never started and learned how to smoke (although poorly) without back surgery sidelining me for a month and then stumbling across YouTube videos from him and others. Go in peace. Live long and prosper. Party on Wayne. With all the divisiveness in the US and around the world right now, chill and go smoke somethin'.

I really enjoy a lot of the YouTube personalities for the most part. There are a certain few with the "It ain't real bbq unless you do it my way" attitude. Those I have no use for but Babyback Maniac, Jeremy Yoder, Chud's, etc I find pretty entertaining and informative. They've all cooked way more bbq than I ever will so I value any information they might pass along. If a guy has cooked several hundred if not thousands of briskets working in a professional setting then I might want to consider what he has to say. But it's apparently not for everyone. :-D
I don't get to smoke as often as I would like so I really enjoy having it in my living room for some reason. I dig it.

I'm just winging it here but may I suggest:

Leather Aprons have been around for hundreds of years, and for good reason. Blacksmiths would use them when smelting ore and forging weapons, and nowadays leather aprons are really popular with outdoor grilling. However, their popularity with everyday cooking has been on the rise. Here are three reasons why leather aprons are great for cooking.

DURABILITY

Real authentic leather is very strong and durable, making it a great choice for cooking! There is a reason why blacksmiths used them when working next to high temperatures. Contrasted with traditional fabric aprons, which run the risk of catching fire or falling apart over time, leather has a natural resistance to heat, which can come in handy when using ovens and stoves. Leather also lasts a long time because of the way it is tanned and processed, making a good long term investment!

PROTECTION

Leather is naturally heat resistant, which makes it an ideal choice to protect yourself against the high temperatures you come in contact with in the kitchen. It is also a good deterrent to sharp objects and tools. Normal aprons are thin and cut easily, but with leather aprons, they provide a more substantial layer of protection against knives and other sharp tools.

EASY TO CLEAN WHEN DIRTY

Spills on normal aprons can be a pain. The spill can stain the fabric and sometimes bleed through and get on your clothes. Leather aprons are much easier to clean! Most spills can be wiped off of the apron without any further cleaning required!

Do you own one?

Back