Brisket tastes a little like stew beef

JCBII

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
JC
I followed the Meat Church video called "Weekday Brisket 1.0" since I was using a Traeger Timberline 1300 like the one in the video. I did the 12hr smoke at 190 degrees, then wrapped and bumped up the grill temp to 250 degrees when the internal meat temp hit 162 (probe in flat). When the flat hit 195 degrees, it was probing tender so I removed the brisket from the Traeger. I did start the process late so I decided to place the brisket in a warming drawer around 5pm yesterday with the plan of having it for lunch today. Basically, the brisket sat in a warming drawer for around 19 hours at 150 degrees.

I should add that during the wrapped stage in the Traeger, I did use butcher paper. When I placed the brisket in the warming drawer, I had removed it form the butcher paper and placed it over some beef tallow and wrapped in foil.

Around noon today, when I removed the brisket, the flat was tender but dry. The Point was juicy and tender. The problem I have is that there was more of a stew beef flavor to the brisket than BBQ. Was it the 19hr hold in foil that caused this, or putting it over beef tallow? This is the 2nd brisket I've smoked on the Traeger. The first one came out great and the only difference is that I let it rest a couple of hours instead of placing in a warming drawer overnight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My honest opinion is that it sat in the holding vessel for way to long and turned pot roast-ish. I've been playing with the long hold thing and so far have done it twice with great results. I held it in the turkey roaster at 150 for 12 hours each time and felt that if went any longer it would completely change the texture and taste of the brisket. I think 19 hours is way too long. Next time around I'm going to go less and probably no more than 8 hours.

My honest opinion is that it sat in the holding vessel for way to long and turned pot roast-ish. I've been playing with the long hold thing and so far have done it twice with great results. I held it in the turkey roaster at 150 for 12 hours each time and felt that if went any longer it would completely change the texture and taste of the brisket. I think 19 hours is way too long. Next time around I'm going to go less and probably no more than 8 hours.

Thanks for your response and I agree about changing the taste/texture - that makes sense to me. We were supposed to eat it for dinner last night but something came up that changed our plans, so the warming drawer was my only option unless I wanted to let it cool down and just place it in the fridge. In hindsight, maybe that's what I should have done.

Thanks for your response and I agree about changing the taste/texture - that makes sense to me. We were supposed to eat it for dinner last night but something came up that changed our plans, so the warming drawer was my only option unless I wanted to let it cool down and just place it in the fridge. In hindsight, maybe that's what I should have done.

I hear you. That happens to me time to time when something comes up last minute or my guest show up late and depending what's on the menu it alters the flavors.

I think what's happening is the brisket reabsorbs its juices, which is what it's supposed to do, but holding it way too long it slowly starts dissipating all the liquid due to the hold temp and the residual heat. Turns more like roast due to the steam. At least my 2 cents.

Yea, I was wondering if I should have kept the brisket in the butcher paper - even if putting in the warming drawer.

I have kept it in butcher paper both times fwiw. Foil at the bottom is to catch the dripping and avoid mess.

vr7B5rch.jpg

PMwT2Ueh.jpg

I need to look at the Meat Church video on this.... boy do I like his set-up on the outdoor kitchen.

I question 190° for 12 hours because the pit temp is lower than the target temp.

I did start the process late so I decided to place the brisket in a warming drawer around 5pm yesterday with the plan of having it for lunch today. Basically, the brisket sat in a warming drawer for around 19 hours at 150 degrees.

I'm by no means a brisket guru, but I've smoked my share. 19 hours is WAY too long to hold a brisket. When I cook briskets, I'm looking for that "just over the edge" of 200 IT and tender, then I will will foil and towel them in the Cambro to rest for about 4 to 6 hours. Then, its time to slice, serve, and enjoy :-D

Briskets are challenging on timing.

Last edited:
My last brisket cooked WAAAAY Faster than I thought, and as a result it held a few hours longer in the warmer (20+) and kind of made it a tad mushy. My guests wanted to "enjoy themselves and swim in my pool" instead of eating early...pffft! :)

Still the best tasting brisket (not pot roasty per say) I have ever made.

Did you let the brisket cool at all before putting it in the warmer?

No but I would have if I had the time. So it basically went straight from the Traeger to the warmer with just a few minutes to pull it out of the butcher paper and place in foil over a little tallow. If I had the time, I would have let it rest until around 160 degrees before placing in the drawer.

I need to look at the Meat Church video on this.... boy do I like his set-up on the outdoor kitchen.

I question 190° for 12 hours because the pit temp is lower than the target temp.

I'm guessing this approach was used to put maximum smoke on the brisket since a pellet grill was being used. My brisket was around 145 degrees in the flat after the 12 hours, so per the video, there wasn't any issue with the brisket going beyond the target temp during that period of time.

I got a 12 pound shoulder clod I am going to do tonight - plan is to wrap in foil at 165-170 - take it to 185 or so - remove from foil and wrap in butcher paper - let the internal temp drop down to 150-155 on my counter - then into the turkey roaster at 145 for 12 hour or so (this is the method Zavalas in Grand Prairie uses for there briskets)

Will let y’all know the results

No but I would have if I had the time. So it basically went straight from the Traeger to the warmer with just a few minutes to pull it out of the butcher paper and place in foil over a little tallow. If I had the time, I would have let it rest until around 160 degrees before placing in the drawer.

Got it, thanks. If you did not allow the meat to first cool, it may have just continued to cook, resulting in an overcooked but still tasty brisket.

???? you had 19 hours........ :confused:

???? you had 19 hours........ :confused:

The problem was I had to leave the house at 5pm (right when I was taking the brisket off the grill - flat hit 195°). I wasn't going to be back home until 9 to 9:30pm so made the decision to place it in the warming drawer. Otherwise I would have let it rest a while for the temp to drop.

Back