505 Shenanigans - Armenian & Mexican Spare Ribs

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Awoke with a proverbial wild hair somewhere. Felt compelled to smoke/cook something today. Wanted to do something familiar, but in a couple of different directions.

Turned to YouTube for inspiration.

Discovered a couple of ideas that could provide a nice point of departure.
- Armenian Spare Ribs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJcrt5VRW6Q
- Spare Ribs in Guajillo Sauce - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LOdDInqmI8

Grabbed a yellow tag rack of spares from Wally World, some onion, and checked on my dried chile supply.

rtegOMrl.jpg

Whipped up a basic version of the Armenian dry rub: (Numbers are parts, from watching the video host mix the spices in a bowl)
- Salt x 2 (though these are "enhanced ribs," so I went kinda light on the salt today)
- Sumac x 1
- Cumin x 1
- Garlic Powder x 1
- Paprika x 1
- Smoked Paprika x 1
- Aleppo Pepper x 1 (I used Colorado Dried Red Chile)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper x 1

I hit the ribs for the Mexican option with Naturiffic Q-Salt to build a nice base of flavor but to save the fireworks for the sauce.

qDmSe0al.jpg

The Armenian ribs also called for thinly sliced onion to be added, so I followed suit in a zip-top bag... and into the fridge they went for a while.

dYJ22Uhl.jpg

While the meat was resting in the fridge, I whipped up the Mexican guajillo sauce.

Since I'm not making nearly as many servings as in the video, I basically cut the sauce in 1/3.

5 guajillo chilies
1 ancho thrown in for good measure (I like the flavor)
Skipped the arbol due to the Munchkin's tender tongue
3 big garlic cloves
cumin, ground clove, oregano, black pepper

I heated the chilies in a dry skillet to release their oil and soften them a bit - stemmed and seeded them.

k0svuDvl.jpg

Rehydrated the chilies, smashed the garlic, added everything (including the chile water) to the blender.

QNUBVqPl.jpg

Blend to smooth - Season to taste (this took quite a bit of salt to get the balance right since I started with none).

dzsy03kl.jpg

Time to get the 26er fired up. College football on the telly. A great Saturday, so far!

I like the guajillo sauce idea. I’m more a savory rib guy vs sweet, so definitely stealing this idea!!

Another over-the-top cook from out west. Waiting for the results and verdict (Munchkin's opinion, of course).

2 hours-ish on the 26er later...

I'm digging the color - had flipped them once at the 1 hour mark, as well.

D6r6csvl.jpg

Apologies for the light on the next two - took the onions from the Armenian marinade and placed them under the ribs in foil... also spooned a little of the guajillo sauce under the ribs for the Mexican variety.

UeIzQBPl.jpg

zrWfLXHl.jpg

Some of you may have noticed the "Chef's Snack" flap gone from the above grill photo. I just brought it inside... sliced it a little thinly, and gave it a gentle dunk in the guajillo sauce for a taste test.

q3e1Ghyl.jpg

Big fan! Very strong flavors in the sauce, so I'm reconsidering finishing the ribs IN the sauce as they do in the recipe. We'll see how it all plays out.

Toothpick Test - "Close, but no cigar."

5SnfaX4l.jpg

v2b5EO6l.jpg

I'll give 'em about 20 more minutes, then "prod them along" with the toothpick.

No... belay that order.

I'll pull 'em in 10, cut them into portions, keep them warm in the oven, and be ready for the finish. Makes much more sense.

Took the Armenian Crew out for a quick warm up before dinner. They hit the deck directly over the coals for a quick crisp on all sides.

Then, they reformed aside the water trough for another quick group photo.

(Low Light photos ahead. Meh...)
ToeTzHLl.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Been making these disappear as quickly as we can.

"Monkey, which one of the ribs is your favorite - you're not going to hurt my feelings."

"Honestly, I like both of them, Dad."

I'm sorry... this is my 5 yr old!?

lWOVulml.jpg

I'm literally watching her clean off the bone from the Armenian rib, and I think she finds the guajillo sauce a bit more "exciting" than her liking.

The "Mexican" ribs with the QSalt are excellent. They're fatty, moist, tender... then you slather some of the guajillo sauce on them, and things get interesting - big chile hit (duh!), but not spicy.

The Armenian ribs are exactly where I'd expect them to be, flavor-wise - middle of the road. Everything points to savoury w/o much punch. There's all sorts of flavor, but it's not going to punch you in the face.

Sides:
We've decided to have the bones with homemade potato salad and a salad with "Everything Bagel-seasoned Ranch Dressing". Big fan of both.

I know when to quietly chalk one up in the W-Column and enjoy the evening.

Y'all have a great weekend! It's rather fun to "be back" and posting another cook thread after a while.

Last edited:
Back