A bowl of Red

BuffettFan

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Terry
Since I'm not in Texas, I can't legally call it Texas Red, but it was made in the tradition Texas Red style, nothing but meat, chilies, seasonings and some stock.

A 3# chuck, diced, dried ancho and guajillo chilies, a little blonde roux and a few tablespoons of seasonings.

Attachments

• 20231228_122803.jpg
    20231228_122803.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 20231228_123547.jpg
    20231228_123547.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 184
While the chuck was browning in the Dutch oven, I seeded and cleaned the chilies, the rehydrated them with some hot water.
While they were steeping, I made a blonde roux and added some chicken stock, cooked it till it was smooth.
No pics, too busy stirring!

Once the chilies were softened, they went into the blender with the roux.
I added about a cup of beef stock to help my 40 year old blender chew it all up, then all into the DO with the beef and some of the seasonings.
I added a few fresh chilies for a bit of heat and more chili flavor.
It's Red!

Attachments

• 20231228_134813.jpg
    20231228_134813.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 182
It was very hearty, very flavorful and not hot at all.
I don't think this will be my only type of chili, but it will definitely stay in the rotation.

And not a bean to be seen!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20231228_143329.jpg
    20231228_143329.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 20231228_180959.jpg
    20231228_180959.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 178
Looks great Terry!

Do you slit the chili's you add whole?

You mentioned not hot at all, but curious on whether the ones you added whole were a hot variety that you expected more heat.

I will slit peppers (not slicing through) when I add to pickling, quick way to impart heat without needing to clean out seeds and pith.

I'll try your dried chili, roux method for sure

Thanks,

Bill, the fresh ones were Serranos, not slit.
They were hotter than the dried, for sure.
I wasn't sure how hot the dried chilies would end up being.
I ended up eating the fresh ones for dessert!
They got my attention!

Edited for clarification.

Last edited:
Ya know, growing up in IL, I have never had a bowl of chili without beans that I can recall.
That looks pretty good.

Looks fabulous

What you have there IS my absolute favorite type of chili- I've always heard it called Chile Colorado. Depending on what's on sale, it's diced chuck roast or pork shoulder for me- love them both.

For the sister-in-law and grandkids, I make it with just dried Anchos, Pasillas and Guajillo- you get some beautiful, deep, rich chili pepper flavors without a ton of zip. Need it hotter? A sprinkle of chipotle powder adds a bit of smokiness and heat. Thinner body- it is perfect over rice. Thickened- it makes an excellent taco filling- or in a bowl all by itself... toppings are sort of optional.

I've made it twice in the last 3 days...grandkids over for the Holiday break from school- gotta feed them something and they love it.

Thanks for posting this up.

Terry,

That sure looks fantastic!

Like Nuco59 mentioned, they way you prepped this makes it chile colorado as the chiles were rehydrated, compared to a traditional chili where the chilies are ground dried and added to the pot. The rehydration method gives it a totally different texture and flavor.

Last edited:
Nuco59 and Moose,
Thank you for the clarification.
I have to admit, I've not heard of chili Colorado before.
Looks like I need more research and more chili!
Yet another thing I've learned from this wonderful forum.

The recipe came from Matt Pittman, aka Meat Church.
Well, he is a transplanted Texan, not a native.
Time to check out some more recipes!

Thanks again guys!

Back