Full Spare Ribs

tcards

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
John
I usually smoke full spare ribs. Am I in the minority or do some of you smoke full spares?

I used to and I don't mind it, but serving to guests it is a bit messier eating them. I trim them, and cook the lopped off part as the chef's sample piece.

Full spares are usually my first choice. I love the chine bone for knawing on for leftovers. They are a bit more of a challenge to cook properly but the end result is worth it.

I like to buy full spares and then trim them St. Louis style. I smoke the tips with the ribs and they make great chili.

Same here... although full spares are becoming hard to find.
Rarely go on sale around here and its hard to pay $5/lb for bones.

I have come to like the St. Louis cut - cooked nekkid with SPG.

Only my younger son likes ribs at all, and he prefers BabyBacks.

So we have some of those as well.

I actually cook rib tips twice as much as ribs. I can find them at the store easily and kinda smoke them like burnt ends.... If someone in the family wants ribs I eat the tips and give them the ribs....

I always buy full spares and trim to suit my mood or occasion. Often with little or no trimming. To those who generally eat St. Louis, my ribs seem huge.

Aldi had some nice looking full spares late last year for right around ten bucks. I stocked up and still have some in the freezer. I prefer them that way but as others have said, I'll cut them for company if they so choose.

I have never smoked a rack of full spare ribs. ~20+ years.
I started my journey of smoking meats because of BB ribs to begin with.
Will occasionally smoke ST Louis cut, but will usually buy the thinnest BBs I can find.
I think I may be in the minority.

Back