THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over the last few nights I have made a little progress but not as much as I wanted. I ran out of wire last night or I would have kept going. I now have 4 sides of the FB welded on, they are not fully welded yet but they are close. Next step will be the top and back, then insulation/outer shell. my rack supports are in, so it wont take long to build the grates. Final step will be the exhaust which I am dreading, then paint.
View attachment 113506
jambo owners should recognize this deflector
View attachment 113507
question for fabricators: at the connection of the FB to the tank there are some pretty significant gaps, a result of a poor cut on the tank. How show I fill the gap? Its too big to fill with multile beads, im thinkng I need to weld on more material in the inside, like a piece of bar contoured to the tank. Thoughts?

So your deflector or baffle is like a jambo...if it were on the top it would be like a Franklin??? Is that correct? Great work so far!

So your deflector or baffle is like a jambo...if it were on the top it would be like a Franklin??? Is that correct? Great work so far!

the transition between the FB and tank on a franklin smoker is different because the hole is just below grate level and is an arc shape (where the 2 tanks intersect). the jambo deflector pushes air into the tank just above the grate level.

the FB door is on. no need for vents, im going to use the door to control airflow (leaving it open). I will say that working nights is taking a toll, im finding that im getting a little sloppy with my welds. but im very close so I will push on.

to do's: install insulation and bracing for outer skin, add outer skin, weld the firebox to the tank where they connect, fabricate the exhaust platform and install exhaust, fabricate grates, fabricate a fire box grate/basket, grind the rust off of parts of the tank, clean up welds, paint, install thermometer, season, START A FIRE

IMG_2156.jpg

Shenco, what are you using to make your cuts; plasma, O/A, or cut off wheel?

Multiple things, none of which are efficient. Small cuts with a 7" cut off wheel. Large cuts with a cut off saw (chainsaw type) with a 14 inch metal blade. Small metal angled cuts with a metal chop saw. I just bought a used torch/tanks but havnt had a chance to pick it up yet, that will be helpful when I get it. I doubt I will ever be abLe to afford a plasma cutter

Back