Offset Fire Management

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
I have had my Blue Smoke offset for about 20 months - runs great - but always trying to come up with ways to make it run even better

A few months ago I had this movable fire basket build - that sits directly on the bottom of the firebox - I really like the way it keeps the coal bed together, it allows me to move the fire forward and backwards in the firebox, and with the lip, I can now pull the fire all the way back and avoid embers falling out of the box

Have also been reading some about deflectors - to help direct the smoke up - in order to utilize more of the cooking space - just had this deflector built - idea is to set it up in the cook chamber, under the grate, about 4 to 6 inches from the firebox -

Anyone run anything similar in their offset - got the idea from a Jambo pit video

That's awesome and innovative! Are you going to run biscuit tests with it in different positions and without it to compare? I would be really interested to see those results.

Can’t take credit for it - after seeing the Jambo and some of the “scoops” others have spoken of - I came across this video that uses a similar type baffle

https://youtu.be/xImiO36PAh4?si=uYb2z4rWDEeyMAgV

I have never done a biscuit test - may have to try it this time to see the results - what’s the target temp of the smoker when doing a biscuit test ?

I have never done a biscuit test - may have to try it this time to see the results - what’s the target temp of the smoker when doing a biscuit test ?

I would just cook at 275 and cook them for 30 minutes so you get a full cycle of a split burning and you're cooking at a typical temperature. I highly encourage doing it. I wish I would of done it sooner my pit as I found certain areas a tad hotter or cooler and use it to my advantage. Also, it really shows where you get top down or bottom up cooking or a combo of both.

I have had my Blue Smoke offset for about 20 months - runs great - but always trying to come up with ways to make it run even better

A few months ago I had this movable fire basket build - that sits directly on the bottom of the firebox - I really like the way it keeps the coal bed together, it allows me to move the fire forward and backwards in the firebox, and with the lip, I can now pull the fire all the way back and avoid embers falling out of the box

Anyone run anything similar in their offset - got the idea from a Jambo pit video

That deflector you had made looks awesome! I have implemented the same concept with my last couple of cooks on my Big Phil's 24 x 60 smoker using a cake pan propped up with foil or logs, and the results were good, basically eliminating radiative heat from reaching my meats with good results (more like cooking on a 1,000 gallon pit I imagine).

Do you have a design drawing or specifications available for your deflector?

That deflector you had made looks awesome! I have implemented the same concept with my last couple of cooks on my Big Phil's 24 x 60 smoker using a cake pan propped up with foil or logs, and the results were good, basically eliminating radiative heat from reaching my meats with good results (more like cooking on a 1,000 gallon pit I imagine).

Do you have a design drawing or specifications available for your deflector?

My buddy that built my direct heat cooker made it for me - I am not an engineer - but all he needed was the diameter of my pit, thickness of the pipe and the height from the bottom of chamber to cooking grates - plugged info into his program, cut on the cnc and welded on the legs

I am picking it up tomorrow - will shoot a few photos of it in my pit once I get it home

A few of the guys on the Old Country FB page have been experimenting with the same type of scoop deflector, they seem to be getting good results. When I was looking at Jambo’s last year I saw that design & thought that it hd to be a solid idea since I’ve never heard a complaint from anyone owning his pits. Can’t wait to hear your results!

Looks like a good fit! That should really increase the usable real estate on your grate.

You could probably run it even closer to the firebox than shown in those photos without messing up the air flow.

Looks like a good fit! That should really increase the usable real estate on your grate.

You could probably run it even closer to the firebox than shown in those photos without messing up the air flow.

It fits perfect - thinking of 3-4 inches from the firebox

Will you still use...

It fits perfect - thinking of 3-4 inches from the firebox

Will you still use that other custom metal piece that you showed me, that I got Phil to make...that stands on the grill rack right near the firebox opening that the water pan sits on?

cayenne

Will you still use that other custom metal piece that you showed me, that I got Phil to make...that stands on the grill rack right near the firebox opening that the water pan sits on?

cayenne

Going to try it both ways - going to do a biscuit test with and without the “water pan stand” and see which works best

Hope to use both at the same time

Fire stand/grate

Going to try it both ways - going to do a biscuit test with and without the “water pan stand” and see which works best

Hope to use both at the same time

Hey...do you think your friend would be amenable to making and selling another fire grate/stand that's moveable like you have?

cayenne

Hey...do you think your friend would be amenable to making and selling another fire grate/stand that's moveable like you have?

cayenne

Of course - let me check in with him and will report back

Just sent you a PM - he is more than happy to put one together for you - has his contact info and website

Last edited:
A few cans of biscuits and a little adjustments on that baffle should be interesting!

Back