500 gallon offset build- The birth of "Hoss"

Calculation says ur chamber is 70 cubic ft. Which means a 23 cu ft box. That seems a bit too large. 3'x3x2 would be something in the ball park.

Man it's gonna be cool.

Dude I like it! It's a lot of fun putting these thing together. And don't worry about cloning. This day and age there is not one thing that can be original other than paint jobs.

I would say dwfisk has a point on mounting it. 2 kickers on the front to hold it up there and then 2 in the rear against the box is what I might do that way you can leave the space under the chamber to haul wood.
And here is the hard part!! If the box is gonna be insulated the axel need to be moved back to were the axel center line is within 6 inches of the box. The inner box will need to be 10 cubic ft or better. That computes to a really heavy box.

I was concerned about balance but was hoping not to move the axle. I was going to go light on the outer shell of the FB, but I can see your point. The front of the trailer is heavy, and I am going to add a heavy walled 6" dia smoke stack as well. Do you think it is possible to leave the axle where it is?

It's possible it could work. You will be building the box off of the cooker so when it's done stick it up on it and just tack it in place and see what the balance is. Having looked at it a little more you might think about lowering the center of gravity since the axel width is so narrow. Good thing is that's a drop axel and will allow you to do that. With the heat coming in a grate level you don't have to have the box hang down much past the bottom of the chamber. Ground clearance shouldn't be an issue. Just gain box size with width or depth.

Yeppers, this is gonna be a journeyman pit workin every day! As a "newbie" welder you are doing a pretty impressive job, I can even see some coins starting to lay down in a couple of those puddles. Let me preview a felling you are gonna get: months from now when you are doing a routine cook it is gonna hit you; I made this with my own two hands and now I'm knocking out great Q with it. One of the best feelings there is and one well deserved!

Oh yea, I LOVE the triangulation of the tank supports connecting it to the trailer; that is one solid mounting design.

Yeppers, this is gonna be a journeyman pit workin every day! As a "newbie" welder you are doing a pretty impressive job, I can even see some coins starting to lay down in a couple of those puddles. Let me preview a felling you are gonna get: months from now when you are doing a routine cook it is gonna hit you; I made this with my own two hands and now I'm knocking out great Q with it. One of the best feelings there is and one well deserved!

Thanks Dave! I cant wait to get it fired up. As far as the welding, I started about 3 weeks ago and each evening I get a little better, still a LOT to learn though.

The Doors don't seem to lean back much? Could wind blow them shut on someones"s head? :shock: Hope Not.

Its Looking Pretty Cool!

They are heavy and lean back more than the pic shows. If it's becomes a concern it's an easy fix, but your right, having that lid come down on your head would be a big problem

The Doors don't seem to lean back much? Could wind blow them shut on someones"s head? :shock: Hope Not.

Its Looking Pretty Cool!

They are heavy and lean back more than the pic shows. If it's becomes a concern it's an easy fix, but your right, having that lid come down on your head would be a big problem

Chit them doors ain't going nowhere unless you plan a charity cook in Katrina conditions:becky:

Back