THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That looks awesome.

Did you weigh the meat before and then after aging and trimming?

Just curious on what the losses are.

I know therre is a price to pay for the quality, just how much is it?

Thanks for the info on the promotion.

Now cook one and report out (or just take a thin slice and taste it!)

Dawg, the info is in the OP:thumb::thumb:

Here are the numbers

Basically waste and weight loss (moisture) were 5lbs.

Whole rib was 20lbs (19.92 to be exact) $5.88/lb @ $117.13 total
Day 37 it weighed 17.85lbs which was about 2lbs of weight loss
48oz (3lbs) unusable trim/waste
Trimmed steaks weighed in from 28 to 32 oz (1.75 to 2lbs) each
22oz (1.38lbs) of ground meat from the trimmings
8oz (.5lb) of good pure fat for sausage and such

I just used my first bag yesterday on a 15 LB boneless rib whole. It is Canadian AAA grade, unfortunately Costco is the cheapest game in town. Beef in Canada is so expensive right now. But it is what it is..... I paid 12.97 a LB approx 10.50 USD per pound. That is good for this part of of town. Just to put into persepective... brisket here is 13.99 a LB and ti-tip is 14.99 a LB.

So 190.00 later and screwing up to Umai bags before I got it right later, we are now dry ageing!!

I missed the important step of crumpling the bag up to help remove the air and make for a better seal.

Hope mine turns out as well as yours did

Looks great! Glad to see I'm not the only one that wraps their counters in saran wrap when cutting up big hunks of meat!

Great post! I've done Umai a few times and love the results. Once they got the Food Saver "helper" thing it was even easier to do. Love being able to cut my steaks to caveman size too . .

I just used my first bag yesterday on a 15 LB boneless rib whole. It is Canadian AAA grade, unfortunately Costco is the cheapest game in town. Beef in Canada is so expensive right now. But it is what it is..... I paid 12.97 a LB approx 10.50 USD per pound. That is good for this part of of town. Just to put into persepective... brisket here is 13.99 a LB and ti-tip is 14.99 a LB.

So 190.00 later and screwing up to Umai bags before I got it right later, we are now dry ageing!!

I missed the important step of crumpling the bag up to help remove the air and make for a better seal.

Hope mine turns out as well as yours did

You're going to be fine Bosco. As long as the bag has at least 75% contact with the the meat surface it'll work itself and adhere to the meat as it progresses.. Just keep an eye on it for the first few days.

As for the meat, not sure how AAA compares to prime here but I paid about that much for a prime on my first run but for the rest of the cuts you mentioned it is expensive.

I'm curious as to which vacuum sealer you used. This is my second run using Umai and haven't used more than one bag each time.

I took my 4800 back to Costco and went and bought the 2490 sealer it works good just needed to crumple the top of bag and it worked just fine. I found that the saver didn't like making the seal on the 45 degree piece. It kept opening on me.

AAA here is you Prime there. Very hard for me to find cheap A grade or as you call it Choice.

Ssv3 I think I have well over 75% coverage. This thing is 12 hours in the bag and already turning colour!!!

_DSC0853.jpg

Look at the colour already!! This bag is sealed tight!!!!!!

F8C2E5A4-D3E7-4963-9D1E-697C3687F66F.jpg

Ssv3 I think I have well over 75% coverage. This thing is 12 hours in the bag and already turning colour!!!

Look at the colour already!! This bag is sealed tight!!!!!!

:thumb: You got a nice, tight seal. That's perfect. Now the hard part of waiting. How long are you going??

I just picked up a striploin on sale for 7.99 a lb. that's half price here!!!first bag first shot!!! Nailed it. 17lb. So over 30 lbs of steak !! What a smoking deal on the strip!!

Think I'll go 28-35 days

I took my 4800 back to Costco and went and bought the 2490 sealer it works good just needed to crumple the top of bag and it worked just fine. I found that the saver didn't like making the seal on the 45 degree piece. It kept opening on me.

AAA here is you Prime there. Very hard for me to find cheap A grade or as you call it Choice.

I just picked up a striploin on sale for 7.99 a lb. that's half price here!!!first bag first shot!!! Nailed it. 17lb. So over 30 lbs of steak !! What a smoking deal on the strip!!

Think I'll go 28-35 days

Thanks! Got it!! I figured AAA would be but I thought I'd ask. I also got rid of my 4800 and bought a 2400 series. More control and love it much more than the auto and it's cheaper. Go figure.

Nice score on the striploin. Can't wait to see the results.

Nice job, there! let's see a cook. The only thing that hurts is cutting away any bit of that precious spinalis dorsi...:sad:

Thanks LT! Believe me I amost cried but my knife was sharp enough to get as minimal of a trim as I could.

Had to take another look at this thread. One of the best threads I've seen for awhile. :thumb:
Very helpful Sako, thanks so much!!

Had to take another look at this thread. One of the best threads I've seen for awhile. :thumb:
Very helpful Sako, thanks so much!!

Thanks again Jeanie! Bought some more bags just now. My next dry age session will be a whole striploin roast for NY steaks. Didn't even know but they are now offering free shipping for Father's Day. Perfect timing.

Thanks again Jeanie! Bought some more bags just now. My next dry age session will be a whole striploin roast for NY steaks. Didn't even know but they are now offering free shipping for Father's Day. Perfect timing.

That's great to know! Thanks!
I still have plans on doing this. Really appreciate your posts Sako. :thumb:

Back