THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great job

Here is my 28 day strip steak prior to trimming. It is quite easy. I even save a dollar a pound when I buy the whole subprimal at publix. This one was on sale at $5.99/lb then $1.00/lb. not bad at $4.99/lb. had decent marbling. I hear the debates that using the Umai bags is not dry aging because it must be exposed to open air. Whatever.. Test like high dollar dry aged steak house steaks to which I have had many. So, don't care what you call it... It taste like it should. It is tenderloin tender with unbelievable beef flavor. Getting low so rib eye next. Great job on your ribeye.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 241
Now that's what I call a quality post!

I dry age a rib roast every year, but do it open air. I'll probably try one of these bags this year. I also always just cook it as a roast, but after seeing this I'd say it's time to start cutting up some steaks!

This really does look great - excellent work.

Very nice! I did a 22 lb (just less than) boneless rib-eye sub-primal about a month ago. 45 days using the UMAi dry age bags. For the benefit of those who may be new to the dry age processing, you don't use standard vacuum seal pouches--e.g. food saver. Your options are basically to go naked, use something like cheesecloth, or purchase the special UMAi bags (I have no affiliation whatsoever with UMAI, just pointing this out).

Now that is dedication! well done... There is little chance I could stare at that hunk of meat ever time I opened the fridge for 37 days and not rip into it.

Look great. I would love to hear you comparison of the dry aged choice vs prime. I wonder if the flavor and tenderness differences is negated/or reduced once dry aged.

Here is my 28 day strip steak prior to trimming. It is quite easy. I even save a dollar a pound when I buy the whole subprimal at publix. This one was on sale at $5.99/lb then $1.00/lb. not bad at $4.99/lb. had decent marbling. I hear the debates that using the Umai bags is not dry aging because it must be exposed to open air. Whatever.. Test like high dollar dry aged steak house steaks to which I have had many. So, don't care what you call it... It taste like it should. It is tenderloin tender with unbelievable beef flavor. Getting low so rib eye next. Great job on your ribeye.

Absolutely agree!

I know purists disagree at times but I've had nothing but stellar results so far.

Here's study done by K-State on using bags vs traditionally.

http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bits...d=D5DE27E046ADF22D5A57E4471BF163D6?sequence=1

PS I plan to also dry age traditionally as well.

Thank guys!! If anyone is interested in the Umai bags they are now holding a Kickstarter campaign to raise money and launch their products nationwide on store shelves. When you dontate they send you out dry age bags or whole kits on depending how much you donate and free shipping. Won't post the link but you can google kickstarter umai. It's a win win.

FOR THE RECORD I'M NOT AFFILIATED WITH UMAI IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.

Just want to let anyone know that is looking to give it a shot.

Fantastic Sako! I still have this on my to do list. Thanks for the post and the info! :grin:

That looks awesome.

Did you weigh the meat before and then after aging and trimming?

Just curious on what the losses are.

I know therre is a price to pay for the quality, just how much is it?

Thanks for the info on the promotion.

Now cook one and report out (or just take a thin slice and taste it!)

Back