THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
My wife and I are off to Austin mid-Sept for a weekend trip (Fri-Mon). I'd like to cover as many BBQ joints as I can during that timeframe but I'm quickly learning I need about a year to cover the amount of great BBQ places there. I would also like to try to get to Lockhart for a day if possible.

So I'm looking at:
  • Franklins
  • LA BBQ
  • Salt Lick
  • John Mueller Meat Co

Lockhart:
  • Black's
  • Kruez
  • Smitty's

Also any tips/tricks or preferred order we should plan this? I can't preorder at Franklin's because 5lbs is just too much for two people. Any other restaurants we shouldn't miss outside of BBQ eg TexMex etc?

Thanks
Sam

Salt Lick is a fun place, but if you're after the best BBQ, no need to go there IMO.

I would add Snow's to that list - they open at 8am on Saturdays only. You'd wanna get there right around when they open as they will have a line and they will sell out - it isn't crazy like Franklin's line, but it is popular. I got there at 8 or 8:30 and was in line about 20 minutes. Everything there is great, but the pork steaks stand out. The pitmaster there, Tootsie, is a piece of TX BBQ history and is 88 or more years old - she's really nice. You can stop on the way back to Austin in Elgin at Southside Market and Meyer's (they're really close to each other) and buy some sausage to take home. If you get there before 10 am Meyer's has a drive through. I bought a soft sided cooler and froze everthing and checked it on the plane.

The brisket at Franklin's IMO is the best, and if you can have fun waiting in line (I can and did) then going there is fantastic. My favorite overall may have been John Mueller Meat Co. I'm not a sauce guy and I was drinking his sauce like shooters by the time I left. Fantastic beans too - and the meat is top notch.

I really enjoyed Lockhart and consider it a must, but what I liked best about Smitty's is the place itself, which is really great - the food was OK but not nearly as good as Black's and Kruez IMO.

There's a place called Stiles Switch, and what's great about them is they don't do the "one run and done" deal - they have food all day and into the night and it is very good. Great atmosphere as well - porch, beer, live music, etc.

If you get tired of BBQ in 3 days (not likely) there's a place called Tacos More with great Tex Mex.

No one has taken me up on it yet but skip Kreuz in Lockhart and drive to San Marcos (only 25 minutes from Lochart) and go to blacks sons place called Kent blacks in San Marcos. I liked it better than blacks and smittys and any other in the area (haven't had franklins yet). Let us know how the trip goes!

No one has taken me up on it yet but skip Kreuz in Lockhart and drive to San Marcos (only 25 minutes from Lochart) and go to blacks sons place called Kent blacks in San Marcos. I liked it better than blacks and smittys and any other in the area (haven't had franklins yet). Let us know how the trip goes!

Oh and while you are in San Marcos, make sure you go by the lions club tube rental and tube down the San Marcos river with a 6 pack! You will love it!!!

And salt lick is a fun place to see and the food is so so.

I just did this trip last week. Don't go to Kreuz or Smittys. I went to smittys and it was awful. Black's was good, not great. Franklin was awesome. Went at 8 and got to eat at 12. I wouldn't get there mutch later than 8. Probably enough good places in Austin. I don't know if I would even go back to Lockhart. The people next to me said the salt lick was not that great and brisket was not good at all. I did a thread a few days back about my trip.

I've been to Kent Black's and highly recommend it. I liked Smitty's brisket but wasn't a fan of the sausage. I don't have the patience to wait for four hours or more so I skipped Franklin's.

I'm planning this trip in the fall when it cools off a bit....The lovely wife and I are going to do Franklins, Snows, Louie Mueller and for a little change of pace hit Cele Store in Manor.

Is there an optimal time to get to Franklin's and still be able to eat? With the wife there I'd like to avoid her making me get off the line...

Oh and while you are in San Marcos, make sure you go by the lions club tube rental and tube down the San Marcos river with a 6 pack! You will love it!!!

And salt lick is a fun place to see and the food is so so.

The first time I ever drank a whole 12 pack was floating down that river. That is definitely a fantastic way to spend a day. Be careful when it comes time to stand up! :wacko:

Burger Tex- Airport and 183. Because you can't eat BBQ every meal.

Saturday Morning you need to go to Snow's in Lexington just get there by 8 in the A.M. so you can have full selection of meats. Was best in state until Franklins came along.

Your Lockhart picks are A+++++.

Your Austin picks though:

You are going to be in a lot of long lines. Cross off Johnny Mueller and Salt Lick.

Freedman's BBQ in West Campus is amazing, probably #2 or #3 on my list, sub it in there for one of the above, also it will help you take a break from all those long lines. Stiles Switch (restaurant setting) and Micklethwait (food truck) are also top notch.

About Johnny Mueller's: His reputation is well known, from being an elite pitmaster to a horses ass. When he was tending the pits, it just deepends on his mood. I'm sorry if people are offended, but his track record is well known. I was there a while back he was tending to the pit. Brisket was so dry I had to use BBQ sauce. He saw I was using BBQ sauce and made some smart ass comment about not using sauce. I will never go back there again. That being said his ribs and sausage were awesome. Also, I think he might have gotten removed from that operation, I don't remember. Just my experience.

For outside of BBQ, go to Matt's El Rancho, or go to Cisco's for tex mex brunch. Matt's is the most well known in Austin, newer Austin folk don't like it, but it's an establishment and it very consistent and tasty.

You can skip Salt Lick too. It's a great family experience, but no better than Rudy's. The setting is gorgeous out there though.

Do not be surprised if some of these disappoint you in one way or another. It's very hard to have your A game on 24/7. Lockhart to me has the most consistency because they've been doing it for ever. I haven't been to Fraknlin's.

I agree with the skip Salt Lick. Not that great.

I also agree with the suggestion to head to Snows on Saturday morning. You'll have better brisket in Austin but their ribs and chicken are freaking great. And the atmosphere is fantastic. They were named best BBQ in Texas in 2008 and you need to make a point to see Tootsie.

On the way back to Austin you should stop at Louie Mueller's in Taylor. This is what Kreuz used to be like in Austin before the family rift that broke it in two. IMO it's better than the Lockhart joints at this point.

If you're looking for breakfast places in Austin I'd suggest A Million To Juan and Kirby Lane (original location). For Tex-Mex lunch or dinner check out Matt's El Rancho. I haven't been back since the patriarch passed away but hopefully it's as good as I remember it being.

If you get time Luling BBQ is good (not city market - they are next to each other). Can't miss it just across the tracks. Here is a no namer for you.....At the Waelder exit on HWY 10 and hwy 90 - the North side just 1/4 mile off of 10 across from the Shell gas station is HWY 10 Martinez BBQ. Just look it up on google and you will find it. There are two Waelder exits so get the right one by using Google Maps. I owned land around there and stopped every weekend to get something to go. It is hit and miss on being open so either call first or just stop if going by. It is a shack so don;t be surprised. His wife serves and they build fences and sell fire/BBQ wood.

My wife and I are off to Austin mid-Sept for a weekend trip (Fri-Mon). I'd like to cover as many BBQ joints as I can during that timeframe but I'm quickly learning I need about a year to cover the amount of great BBQ places there. I would also like to try to get to Lockhart for a day if possible.

So I'm looking at:
  • Franklins
  • LA BBQ
  • Salt Lick
  • John Mueller Meat Co

Lockhart:
  • Black's
  • Kruez
  • Smitty's

Also any tips/tricks or preferred order we should plan this? I can't preorder at Franklin's because 5lbs is just too much for two people. Any other restaurants we shouldn't miss outside of BBQ eg TexMex etc?

Thanks
Sam

All great spots. But, you are missing breakfast! Round Rock donuts, so good. And Juan in a Million. Literally, the best breakfast tacos I've ever had...ever.

Back