48hr Austin Trip - Check my itinerary? (Pron)

JKCDN

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Another damn birthday has come around so I decided to book a 2 day trip to Austin to lessen the pain. I used texas monthly ratings and info from this board. Would love some feedback from those that have been recently or live locally on any spots I have missed or "must try" items...

I am in on a SAT night and out on Monday PM so windows are tight but I think I can hit them all :icon_bigsmil

SATURDAY PM
Freedmens
brisket/sausage

SUNDAY
Franklins (no later than 8am)
brisket/rib
Kerlin (11am-2pm)
brisket
La BBQ (email preorder 11am-6pm)
brisket
Micklethwaith (email preorder 11am-3pm)
Sausagae
John Mueller Meat Company (1030-6pm)
Brisket

MONDAY

Lockhart

Blacks (11am-8pm)
right side cutting block - sausage
Smittys (11am-6pm)
jalapeno sausage
Kruez (11am-8pm)
pork chop

Taylor

Louis Mueller (11am - 6pm)
beef rib

Here are some sausage photo's of some knockwurst and kaisegrainer I made recently. Very interested in trying the Austin versions..

IMG_20160131_184520_zpscdzo83ah.jpg

IMG_20140906_232557_zpsel2iaobs.jpg

IMG_20160207_133150_zpsytgtbxdg.jpg

Hydrate - very important! We did 8 joints in 3 days a while back, and staying hydrated is key. I'm jealous!

Awesome plans! I did some of Austin and all of Lockhart last summer and it was a great experience. That sausage you made looks great. Dont know if you've had sausage from any of those places in Lockhart, but i found their grind is coarse. Dont get me wrong, it was all amazing, i just wasnt expecting the texture. Have a great birthday and enjoy!

I was just in Austin last week. Had been there in August and had la barbecue, Louie muller, and john mueller.

Last week had la barbecue and did the email order thing as I knew I'd be arriving late. Was awesome - brisket, pork ribs, jalapeño cheddar sausage. Sausage might have been my favorite this time. Was the brisket last time.

Had this amazing lunch with catering from Louie muller, blacks, Schmidt family BBQ from bee cave (I think), and one other place whose name is escaping me. Had the honor of very briefly chatting w Wayne Mueller, and he gave me special big piece of burnt end (big hunk o brisket with a ton of bark....one of the best things I've ever tasted). The others were great, too. Spoke with one of the pitmasters from Schmidt family BBQ for 5 minutes, too, which was awesome. Great dude!

I also had a chopped brisket sandwich later in the week from Kerlin's food truck (had a limited menu). Thing was a beast!

I am really pissed I missed stiles switch again....next time!

I have pics I can share here or in the other road trip conf next time I am on my laptop.

Enjoy and pace yourself!

Enjoy it! Drink a lot of water before and during. Austin has great craft beer to go along with the Q and TexMex. I do love my state

Pack an ice chest. Your eyes will be bigger than your stomach. Vacuum pack the meat when you get home and enjoy later.

Looks good, but I honestly don't see eating that much food each day no matter how good it is.

I don't know when you booked but watch out for festival dates (SXSW, ACL, etc), Spring Break, Moto GP, and such. Show up at Franklin during one of those at 8 AM and you will be leaving empty handed. It also causes major traffic issues and all hotels are full.

I personally would skip the John Mueller.

The Taylor/Lockhart trip is an easy dash up and down the 130 toll road.

Out of all those La Barbecue is my favorite. Brisket is the best imo. You gotta try the sausage. If you have time stop by and talk to one of the pit masters. Really good people to waste an hour talking to.

Great idea on the vacuum sealer, I will bring one. The hotel room has a freezer so I should be good to go.

No sides and no pork (except sausage) so hopefully that lowers the financial and caloric impact!

I am on the fence for John Mueller meat company, I might add Stiles Switch instead.

Thanks for all the tips -

JKCDN

Back