Franklin's BBQ Birthday Trip - MEGA PRON ALERT!

This thread inspired me, I think I'm going to do the same thing for my birthday this year.

Question for folks who know--do you have to get there really early on a weekday to wait in line?

This thread inspired me, I think I'm going to do the same thing for my birthday this year.

Question for folks who know--do you have to get there really early on a weekday to wait in line?

I got there at 8 or 8:30 on a Friday morning last April and was about 35th in line, so I'd say if you'e there by then, you're definitely good to go. And if you're gonna be in Austin more than one day, I'd strongly recommend John Mueller's. We got there an hour before opening on a Sunday and were the first in line. I'll give it to Franklin's for the mind blowing brisket, but the overall experience at John Mueller's may have been my favorite part of the 3 day crawl we did.

Wow, nice birthday present.

I am curious, in the following photo, are the "tags" to mark the grain?

2014-10-18152532_zps3ac6bd06.jpg

I imagine that is foil to keep the small end from drying out or burning.

I'd love to hit La Barbecue one day. Next time you go, you might want to hit John Mueller's as well - just incredible all around. It's kinda like a big yard party with seriously killer food. I'm not too big on sauce, but I was drinking the sauce there like shooters by the time I left.

I just cooked with John Mueller this past weekend. He is a pistol, but he is a great cook with a big heart.

Back