2017 Veterans Cooks

Dave, thanks so much for doing these events for our vets.. We have one coming up next weekend(May 20) at a homeless shelter for vets.. 120 vets at 'The Veterans Place'.

I have to figure out a way to get ore of us involved nationwide doing events like this.. Its a new endeavor to expand our charter, but we have to start somewhere.
BBQ-Brethren Outreach

I'm amazed with some of the "Veteran" Centers that do not want to do anything out of the "norm" for the Vet's. I understand they work at this every day and it is appreciated. But...
One example: close to me is a Vietnam Veterans center helping 1500 Vietnam Vets. (there statement, not mine) But they don't want to do any fund raisers to help the Vets or just cooks for the Vets they help. With us donating the food and our time. :doh:
I find this "condition" when visiting most Veterans Centers to offer our support. And any of the Veteran hospitals, can not (won't) accept our offer due to "health reasons". They have kitchens and staff to feed the Vets. We've tried many times.
The MVF has a kitchen and staff that like having us. One reason we support them with 2 cooks each year.
We can't do enough for our Vets.

Phil, awesome new site to help reach out to get more involved.

We do many cooks, and honestly it really isn't much work to do these things. I guess with experience it gets easier, but it is also very satisfying to see the faces of the Vets we serve.
And as Tom said, the MVF has a full staff and kitchen. But those folks appreciate us and have become our friends. We always have a great time. Heck Joey has to come to every event, they've known him since he was 4 months old :laugh:
It also instils into him, and other young ones, what the right thing to do is. I could tell you stories about Joey that would bring a tear to your eye.
He got a new play doh kitchen set for Christmas last year. He was setting plates and making "food". We asked him what he was doing. His answer "cooking for the Veterans dad"
All are welcome to come to our events and help out, bring the family. We always have a good time and the Veterans love it

Many times last year I cooked a bunch of food and Delivered it to areas where homeless hangout. Many or most of them are vets. It's pretty sad for me when I see this. I just ordered a new IVC from Lonestar Grillz that will help me cook more food than ever to be able to delivered...... I am trying to figure out a better plan in my area. I have no means to transport it. But, if anyone ever needs help feeding vets in almost any part of the country. And I have enough notice. I'll be there..... Long story but I have strong feelings on feeding vets, and the homeless...

Should have said cant transport long distances..... Can do cooks a couple hours from my house with it. Unless I get a smaller lighter trailer. Which could happen by next year. Probably won't be able to swing it this year.

Last edited:
I would recommend anyone that can do one of these vet cooks should really think about volunteering. We drove out to NY last year from Chicago and it was a great experience! Phil and Eric do a great job getting everything lined up. I am sure Brother Dave has it down to a science as well. Would definitely like to help out with a cook in Michigan one of these days.

I did a Google search for Veterans Groups in DFW area and found a cpl small non profits and emailed them to see if they would be interested in a Veterans Picnic - BBQ Bash Style.
If they email back and are interested I'll let y'all know and Hopefully some of you DFW Brethren will want in.......... :heh:

If any of you would like to help this Memorial Day, We would be glad to have you and your help. Dave is smoking/shredding the porkbutts and bringing those hot to the MVF. The rest we are preparing there in their new kitchen. We will be there around 9:30/10 am to start prepping for an approximate 11:30 lunch time.
We will also be helping serve food along with the kitchen staff.
Expect to have a real good time with alot of great folks.

4626 Grand River Ave, Detroit, MI 48208
Between Warren/Forest Ave. on Grand River. East side of the street. About 2 minutes south of I-94 (Grand River exit)

Tom and I visited there yesterday and WOW is the new building amazing!!

This is such a great place for our homeless Veterans to get back on their feet and transition to a great new life of independence.
Actually during our walk through with Mr Chapman, one Veteran asked him for the number to the realtor. Right there was a great moment for me.

Hope to see/meet some of you guys there Monday

We had alot of GREAT help today! From the prep work to HURRY THEY WANT TO BE SERVED NOW!, not in 1 more hour as was the plan :boxing:
Everyone was great. Was a great time with lots of confusion ( as usual) :hand:
Anyway, I don't want to get the Brethren who showed up to help names wrong, so I will let them speak up. :thumb:
Some of you know the boss

he was instructing Dave on what to do.....:eusa_clap
The crowds had formed outside and inside

Smoke Ninja manned the flat top while the porkbutts were being pulled and panned

We had quite a few other volunteers that showed up! Boy was that a help!

Back