2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe new features (video)

I agree that the roll out was terrible. From the beginning they offered it as a combination between a weber kettle, a WSM. What was that about? You can purchase both for 1/4 of the price, and it doesn't really perform like either. They should have taken aim at the deficiencies of the ceramic komodo's. Something like a picture of a BGE XL with a + no cracking + mobile + better insulation + accessories included + Weber quality and customer service all for under $2k.

They totally took aim at the wrong market, so all initial reaction was it was over priced, which it would have been if all it was was a kettle + WSM.

That tacky-looking igniter could also be a problem. Looks like an after thought, cheapens the appearance.

I'll agree the housing could have had a more pleasing appearance but dang it's convenient!

No flame thrower no lighter cubes no nuttin'

Last edited:
I'll agree the housing could have had a more pleasing appearance but dang it's convenient!

No flame thrower no lighter cubes no nuttin'

Funny, to me the igniter is all negative. In the way, doesn't light the fire how and where I want to, ugly, a hassle to put the grill in a built in cart/counter like a ceramic. I would rather they offer a cheaper version without it.

Ya can't please all the people all the time I reckon...

What's the issue?

Funny, to me the igniter is all negative. In the way, doesn't light the fire how and where I want to, ugly, a hassle to put the grill in a built in cart/counter like a ceramic. I would rather they offer a cheaper version without it.

They might get me to buy one without the igniter, but it would still be expensive for what you get. I do like what I see in your videos, I see more value in it there than is apparent in Weber's presentation.

They might get me to buy one without the igniter, but it would still be expensive for what you get. I do like what I see in your videos, I see more value in it there than is apparent in Weber's presentation.

Baby Back Maniacs videos are what gave us the final push to get one. Not Webers advertising.

M?

What are your specific problems with the ignitor other than the looks of it... Not a lot I can do about that.

M?

What are your specific problems with the ignitor other than the looks of it... Not a lot I can do about that.

I thought I had listed them. It boils down to mostly "a feature I wouldn't use".

I am thinking about upgrading to a bigger better Kamado and the Weber is on the short list. But...I want to build it into a counter. The igniter would need to come off for that, and I wouldn't make any effort to reconfigure it because I light the fire different ways for different cooks and I don't think the igniter offers the versatility I want.

Sooooo you have a Summit or just going off of pictures?

As far as lighting coal where I want them... if I'm going to raise the lower grate to cook I put the charcoal in a chimney, put the lower grate all the way down and sit the chimney right over the ignitor, once the coals are where I want them, pick up the chimney, raise the lower grate and then dump the coals.

A bigger kamodo? So your thinking of going with a KK?

No I don't have one yet, and I have only had a chance to play with one for about 10 minutes. By bigger, I mean true 24" like WSCG, KJ Big Joe, or XL BGE to replace my 20" Pit Boss. I bought the PB last year as an affordable way to see if I would like a Kamado and it has been great so now I am thinking of spending a bit more to move up a tier in size and quality.

As for versatility, lighting a chimney over a propane burner is what I might do to get a hot fire fast. Dump the chimney, fill the bowl with more charcoal on top, and you can have a raging fire in no time. However, for a less raging fire I often use a top down fire, for slow cooks I may light just one small spot etc. Since I already have a chimney and burner, a small torch and a big weedburner all within reach, the igniter is just another thing I need to hook up to propane and not a selling point to me. I have noted that Baby Back Maniac and some other Weber owners also don't use the igniter on all their cooks so I don't think I am alone in not placing a high value on it. I understand why some people would really like it, but for me, I would rather buy a stripped model without it for less.

I appreciate your lack of desire for the auto start, but I don't think it would change the price much. If it lowered the price by any more than $50, I would be surprised.

$50 and not having to remove it would be more than enough to make me choose a stripped model over the current offering. Probably not worth it to Weber to have another SKU though.

Glad I read this thread. The title pushed me off from reading it for several days, but a lot of good info in here about things other than the KJBJ...

That tacky-looking igniter could also be a problem. Looks like an after thought, cheapens the appearance.

Funny, that doesn't really bug me. To me it looks like all the other knobs when they knob things. (Is knobbing a verb?) I never cared for the red push button lighter on my old performer.

Back