Franklin geeks out on pit design

charcoalwilly

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I recall there being a lot of questions about Franklin's smoker when it was first released. He just put out video below detailing his thought process behind many of the design features (including the much maligned non-adjustable door intake)

As someone who dabbles in building grills, I found it very interesting, especially the use of different steel thicknesses and his take on the rounded end in cook chamber. You can tell the guy put a lot of thought and work into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9MaAIrtdJE

Although there are some major nitipcks I could make about his design, it seems like he put a lot of thought into it, and the smokers seem to be well-built.

I guess when you are repurposing a tank, theres no reason to give yourself extra work cutting the rounded ends off.

I watched it. Meh.He knows more than me though.I still prefer my reverse flow Shirley.I know,different creature. Whatever,good Q is good Q.He has done well.

No tanks...

I guess when you are repurposing a tank, theres no reason to give yourself extra work cutting the rounded ends off.

From the videos, it appears he is NOT using old tanks...that the bodies are made from sheet steel and shaped into cylinders.....

C

Ya'll might find this other new video interesting where the Mad Scientist BBQ guy (Yoder?). interviews Aaron Franklin and they do into a bit more depth about the Franklin smoker amongst other topics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW4_C5eADYM

An interesting watch.

That one is really interesting where Aaron explains in detail about the purpose of the water pan shelf inducing a horizontal retrograde eddy flow. He may be right about that; it's the only explanation I have heard that would address how adding the shelf actually moves the hotspot back toward the firebox.

Also my ears perked up when Aaron briefly mentioned fires that produce water vapor vs. oil-soluble particulate. I wish they would have talked through that in more detail, but I think he was talking about clear or blue smoke vs. white smoke.

Also, I'm taking cover since someone mentioned Jeremy Yoder. :pop2:

That one is really interesting where Aaron explains in detail about the purpose of the water pan shelf inducing a horizontal retrograde eddy flow. He may be right about that; it's the only explanation I have heard that would address how adding the shelf actually moves the hotspot back toward the firebox.

Also my ears perked up when Aaron briefly mentioned fires that produce water vapor vs. oil-soluble particulate. I wish they would have talked through that in more detail, but I think he was talking about clear or blue smoke vs. white smoke.

We went deep into this rabbit hole a couple years ago on this very forum, some of us ended up fabricating our own deflectors and observing its behavior. Still using mine.

Followed the same rabbit hole....

Fire in the hole! :behindsofa:

No Yoder?

Ruh Roh....

Is there a meme or something about mentioning Jeremy Yoder that I need to know about?

What's the skinny on that?

Back