2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe new features (video)

Justin,

very good review of the KK likes and dislikes. I totally get some of the complaints and dislikes. I love my KKs, but I do miss the divide and conquer on cooks from time to time.

Turkey, check out the KK forums lots of people to help with questions if you have anything specific.

Do you really like the divide and conquer system?

Or would ceramic grill store tools be handier? Thanks

Great question! Depends on how you like to cook. If you smoke most of the time, the CGS is better...particularly for stuff like ribs an briskets and cooking at multiple levels. However, if you grill and roast and want to cook direct and indirect at the same time, the D&C is better because it allow you to have 2 zones.

Thanks for your replies, bosco and BBM. I am looking at the KK forums and have contacted their support re. shipping costs.

It's interesting how different pricing can be between countries. In Aus the Primo Oval XL is only slightly more expensive than the KJBJ, and it's actually a little cheaper when you factor in the (pricey in Aus) KJ accessories that are not included with the grill but are included with the Primo.

Justin,

very good review of the KK likes and dislikes. I totally get some of the complaints and dislikes. I love my KKs, but I do miss the divide and conquer on cooks from time to time.

Turkey, check out the KK forums lots of people to help with questions if you have anything specific.

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. :)

Since you are lucky to have both. The main reason i am thinking the KJBJ over the Weber is the divide and conquer. To me it gives more options when cooking then the weber. If i would want to do a reverse sear on the weber wouldn't you have to have the charcoal grate in the lowest portion for the first stage then somehow pull that grate up to the next level without losing all of the charcoal for a real good sear? Or am i missing something. To me the KJ just seems more versatile then the weber

Great question! Depends on how you like to cook. If you smoke most of the time, the CGS is better...particularly for stuff like ribs an briskets and cooking at multiple levels. However, if you grill and roast and want to cook direct and indirect at the same time, the D&C is better because it allow you to have 2 zones.

I need to clarify. We can set up two zone cooking on the classic (large egg) and Big Joe (xl egg) with CGS product. Plus, multi-grid for bbq. You have an open invitation to come on over and see how our stuff compares. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

On the 18" grid size, (kjoe classic or bge large) we can set-up 2 zones using the large adjustable rig and actually use the entire lower grid for grilling. That can't be done with either KJOE's D&C (classsic or Bigjoe) because its about 3.5 inches between grids. And, with the Rig we can stair step grids from inside the fire ring to high in the dome. Again, not possible on the D&C.

Because of the size of the lump grate, the Big Joe needs stones to effectively create a dual zone. On the XL egg, no real need for a stone but if you prefer to use one on xl egg or big joe, you can put one on our XL Spider or XL Woo under a full grid. Grid can be at the felt line or fire ring, your choice.

t

I need to clarify. We can set up two zone cooking on the classic (large egg) and Big Joe (xl egg) with CGS product. Plus, multi-grid for bbq. You have an open invitation to come on over and see how our stuff compares. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

On the 18" grid size, (kjoe classic or bge large) we can set-up 2 zones using the large adjustable rig and actually use the entire lower grid for grilling. That can't be done with either KJOE's D&C (classsic or Bigjoe) because its about 3.5 inches between grids. And, with the Rig we can stair step grids from inside the fire ring to high in the dome. Again, not possible on the D&C.

Because of the size of the lump grate, the Big Joe needs stones to effectively create a dual zone. On the XL egg, no real need for a stone but if you prefer to use one on xl egg or big joe, you can put one on our XL Spider or XL Woo under a full grid. Grid can be at the felt line or fire ring, your choice.

t

Could you clarify what tools you guys offer that don't work well with the Big Joe? I see you offer a woo but no adjustable rig...Again thanks for all the info guys.

Could you clarify what tools you guys offer that don't work well with the Big Joe? I see you offer a woo but no adjustable rig...Again thanks for all the info guys.

kjoes current dome is basically the same as egg's original xl dome, flat on top. Several years ago, egg changed the dome, made it similar in shape to the large egg and added approx. 2 inches of more headroom.

With regard to CGS product, we can use same products in the big joe as we do the xl egg. It's just that we can't stack them in the big joe or older eggs with the original dome. XL Rig won't fit atop the D&C, dome won't close. With the current xl egg, stacking accessories is possible - xl rig on xl woo or BGE's Conveggtor (platesetter).

Sorry for the interruption on the thread but it is a common question we get.

t

kjoes current dome is basically the same as egg's original xl dome, flat on top. Several years ago, egg changed the dome, made it similar in shape to the large egg and added approx. 2 inches of more headroom.

With regard to CGS product, we can use same products in the big joe as we do the xl egg. It's just that we can't stack them in the big joe or older eggs with the original dome. XL Rig won't fit atop the D&C, dome won't close. With the current xl egg, stacking accessories is possible - xl rig on xl woo or BGE's Conveggtor (platesetter).

Sorry for the interruption on the thread but it is a common question we get.

t

No apology necessary, Tom. Thanks for chiming in. I love your stuff. I don't know if you saw or not but I gave them a big plug in my minimax review.

I'm in Allen so I'll probably come see you again soon.

get one of each, then you have the best of all worlds. That new KJ does look sweet though. Fire it up I want to see some smoke coming from it

On that threaded divider, do you think threaded studs (headless bolts) would be enough to hold it upright? That would allow it to be put in and out without disassembly.

Since you are lucky to have both. The main reason i am thinking the KJBJ over the Weber is the divide and conquer. To me it gives more options when cooking then the weber. If i would want to do a reverse sear on the weber wouldn't you have to have the charcoal grate in the lowest portion for the first stage then somehow pull that grate up to the next level without losing all of the charcoal for a real good sear? Or am i missing something. To me the KJ just seems more versatile then the weber

Sorry, Matt. For some reason I just saw this. We must have been writing at the same time. I like the divide and conquer a lot, but I prefer the Summit for reverse sear. When the charcoal grate is in the upper position, it's about 5 inches below the upper grill similar to a kettle...and just like a kettle it's super easy to split it into two zones and you don't even have to take the whole thing nuclear since the grates are close together.

I actually think I did a video on it.

Here it is. You can kinda see how it works here. BTW, this isn't like my usual videos. I was trying out a new camera and was practicing some things.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edQnQUX-0DY"]Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Ribeye Steak on the Craycort Cast Iron Grate - YouTube[/ame]

So the summit is my preference for that type of thing. Also, I do video work for Adrenaline Barbecue company and they are about to come out with a Slow 'n Sear kit for the Summit and I've got a prototype sitting here that I can't wait to try. Should make it that much better.

Thanks for the review.
Sure looks like the KJ team is not standing still and they are moving things
forward for their customers.

Thanks for the review.
Sure looks like the KJ team is not standing still and they are moving things
forward for their customers.

Yeah, I think that's always been "their thing." I remember when the first Big Joe came out, it didn't have any of this stuff but they still had a bigger thermometer and a wider, stronger cart and rust resistant hardware. I really think they spend a lot of time just day dreaming up ways to make their stuff better. I don't think all the ideas they've had have been home runs, but I admire the dedication to innovate.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
A Slow N Sear for the WSCG? Having a WSCG, I can't imagine what advantage a SnS would offer.

What are you thinking would be easier to do with a SnS?

Well in the last 3-4 days I've gone from Big Joe to XL BGE back to Big Joe to WSCG.

Having a L BGE (that i jist sold) I think the Weber would make the most sense for a new cooking experience . I'm sure I'll change my mind 10 more times.

A Slow N Sear for the WSCG? Having a WSCG, I can't imagine what advantage a SnS would offer.

What are you thinking would be easier to do with a SnS?

I should probably start out by saying (in case someone else reads this who doesn't know my situation) that these tools don't cost me anything because I have to have it to (eventually) make videos. Also, that Dave is a friend. That said, they don't ask me to promote their stuff. This is just me talking.

I'm not completely sure what the extent of the benefits are yet because I haven't had time to try it out yet with everything going on around here. I know that when I first saw the SnS, I was interested mostly because all my firebricks had cracked over the years and I thought the SnS looked slick...and bullet proof. That was pretty much the extent of my thoughts at the time. Fast forward and now I love it and it never leaves me kettle.

I don't necessarily feel like the Summit is lacking, but I didn't think my 26 kettle was lacking anything at the time either. I'm told it will help with 2 zone cooking and make it easier to add charcoal. Dave says it will give it a better bark than the stock set up. I have no idea why. Like I said, I haven't used it yet. But Dave has a Summit and tinkers with this stuff all the time so I feel comfortable repeating what he has told me.

I'll post pics later if you are interested in seeing the kit. I just need to reiterate it's a prototype and the "real one" will be slightly different (but basically the same.)

I should probably start out by saying (in case someone else reads this who doesn't know my situation) that these tools don't cost me anything because I have to have it to (eventually) make videos. Also, that Dave is a friend. That said, they don't ask me to promote their stuff. This is just me talking.

I'm not completely sure what the extent of the benefits are yet because I haven't had time to try it out yet with everything going on around here. I know that when I first saw the SnS, I was interested mostly because all my firebricks had cracked over the years and I thought the SnS looked slick...and bullet proof. That was pretty much the extent of my thoughts at the time. Fast forward and now I love it and it never leaves me kettle.

I don't necessarily feel like the Summit is lacking, but I didn't think my 26 kettle was lacking anything at the time either. I'm told it will help with 2 zone cooking and make it easier to add charcoal. Dave says it will give it a better bark than the stock set up. I have no idea why. Like I said, I haven't used it yet. But Dave has a Summit and tinkers with this stuff all the time so I feel comfortable repeating what he has told me.

I'll post pics later if you are interested in seeing the kit. I just need to reiterate it's a prototype and the "real one" will be slightly different (but basically the same.)

Can you post pictures? I really love my Summit and love my Snow N Sear on my kettle.

Can you post pictures? I really love my Summit and love my Snow N Sear on my kettle.

Here you go.

It starts with this guy. This is a stainless charcoal basket that fits in the lower section. It's stainless steal and Dave said it's twice as big as the weber one's that come with it. What I noticed was it's pretty much the biggest you can get and still lift it out without having to turn it funny to get it out. So this should be nice for raising and lowering the grates.

This is their trip and griddle pan. it sits perfectly on the supports without the need of the grate itself which allows you to do this configuration. I don't fully understand the benefit of this set up but that's because I haven't had a chance to talk to Dave about it. I do now it's much easier to add charcoal like this than using the normal heat deflector with the hinge.

And this is the prototype of the SnS for the Summit. The real one will be slightly different but you get the idea.

My old grate had a weld brake so weber sent me a new one. That's why it's so shiny. lol.

BBM,

Thanks for that. I see that the charcoal basket is improved over the stock, but like you I am still not sure what the SnS adds to the WSCG. I would love to read or watch your review of it when you get around to it, though.

Thanks.

Back