Ordered a Grilla Grills Mammoth

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Wasn't looking for another pellet smoker, but when I stumbled upon the Grilla Grills Mammoth about 3-4 weeks back it was intriguing. They were sold out at the time, but I messaged them to get me on the notification list for when they are back in stock and that hit today :becky:.

Not a ton of info/videos on the unit yet since it is a new model, but Grilla has a few out to give a rundown on some features and a marketing video that is flashy and shows food on it. I like that they designed it to specifically add wood chunks on top of the fire pot to add more smoke. Not sure how well that works, but it did catch my attention.

I love my Chimp and use it all the time when camping, so with minimal (or none really) feedback/reviews on how the Mammoth in the real world I still ordered. One guy does have a "walkthrough video" on youtube with some initial thoughts that was helpful. This is a decent walkthrough video from Grilla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J8tGtt57fg

My Pitboss 5 series is big and can cook a ton of food, but it is getting ERH flameouts if I try to do anything above 350 (wings mostly at that temp) and I've replaced the hot rod. It has served me well since I paid a whopping $100 on clearance like 6yrs ago I think. Anyone wanna buy an aggressively used PB5 around Atlanta let me know :laugh:

So on to the next thing. Here's Mammoth link for anyone interested in the details. Excited to get it and make some more posts on how it cooks.
https://www.grillagrills.com/product/4001294

Will be looking for your review, bought the son a 5 years ago and it still cooks good, I don't know how any of them will last doing high heat cooks, my Austin LX has been a good unit, had it 5-6 years now, most of the cooks on it are 225-250, sucks not having a 275 lol

the sausage hangers are intriguing!

congrats, and looking forward to pics!

Looking forward to the reviews and the comparison to your PitBoss as my youngest son is expressing interest in one of the Pit Boss 5 series.

How soon before it arrives?

Thanks,

Robert

Looking forward to the reviews and the comparison to your PitBoss as my youngest son is expressing interest in one of the Pit Boss 5 series.

How soon before it arrives?

Thanks,

Robert

Site says 7-10 days. The bigger smokers/grills take more time. I got my Chimp in 3 days. PB5 is still a great smoker and tons of capacity

The pit boss vertical smokers have a problem with each shelf being at a different temperature. Hopefully this one has that figured out. My coworker bought a pit boss and ended up returning it because of the huge temperature swings and temperature variations.

Love the idea of adding chunks/chips to the firepot. I am definitely interested in hearing all your reviews and thoughts on this cooker while you break it in.

That's a lot for a vertical smoker. Especially without a glass window on the door. I got my vertical PB on sale for $250 and even that had a glass window.

That's a lot for a vertical smoker. Especially without a glass window on the door. I got my vertical PB on sale for $250 and even that had a glass window.

The "if your lookin, you're not cookin" principle still applies to the cookers with windows. Added many hours to the cooks on my Copperhead when I was sitting there looking through the glass.

Yeah totally get it coming from a guy that got my PB5 for $100. My glass window hasn't seen the light of day in a long time. I think the window is a gimmick.

Hey man, no need to get defensive. If you are happy spending $750 more for the same thing minus a window, more power to you. That said, ZEP oven cleaner works wonders.

The "if your lookin, you're not cookin" principle still applies to the cookers with windows. Added many hours to the cooks on my Copperhead when I was sitting there looking through the glass.

I beg to differ. Its nice being able to see the color of lets say cured turkey legs as you are cold smoking. Lets you know when to pull them without opening the door. Same goes with land jeagers, slim jims, ect...ect.

Now that you got me fired up, what is the lowest temp this Grilla Grill will go? My PB goes down to 150F but the Smoke setting hovers around 120F just above the water pan. Perfect for cold smoking and jerky.

Back