My Workhorse Pits 1969

After thinking about it some more, that size grease dam makes sense considering the size of the pit. I was initially thinking about it from the perspective of my 24 x 60 offset, where I have loaded 10 butts on there, and the bottom rack was only about 65% full. That can make a lot of grease.

How big is the grease dam on yours? And where is the drain located? Pics?

While we wait for an answer from Connor, how about the rest of you? How big is the grease dam on your pits, and where is the drain?

I've got a 250 gallon Johnson Smokers Reverse Flow offset smoker, so obviously a very different design than a Workhorse Pit. No grease dam in mine, but I've got a 2" grease drain (custom request) with a ball valve. The drain is located on the left side of the smoker, opposite the firebox, which works perfectly as I get even temps when this side is just below level.

How big is the grease dam on yours? And where is the drain located? Pics?

On my Big Phil 24 x 60 offset, the opening between the firebox and cook chamber sits an inch or two above the floor of the cook chamber, so it's more of a structural design that prevents grease from reaching the firebox than a separate "grease dam". I'll try to remember to take a photo tonight and post.

The drain (with 1" ball valve) is located on the opposite end from the firebox, so the grease flows away from the firebox, unless I'm not paying attention to the slope of the location where I'm cooking, which happens sometimes. When I notice I'm set up on a non-level spot, I usually level it out as needed using the bottle jack from my truck.

On my Big Phil 24 x 60 offset, the opening between the firebox and cook chamber sits an inch or two above the floor of the cook chamber, so it's more of a structural design that prevents grease from reaching the firebox than a separate "grease dam". I'll try to remember to take a photo tonight and post.

The drain (with 1" ball valve) is located on the opposite end from the firebox, so the grease flows away from the firebox, unless I'm not paying attention to the slope of the location where I'm cooking, which happens sometimes. When I notice I'm set up on a non-level spot, I usually level it out as needed using the bottle jack from my truck.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

My 1969 is in a permanent position on a patio slab sloping just slightly toward the stack end. For me, this orientation, along with a drain on the stack end, probably makes any kind of grease dam unnecessary.

Interesting topic.

The "grease dam" on my LSG standard flow offset is about 3" tall. Like others, my patio slopes away from the firebox and the drain valve is on the downhill side. I recall that feature more for those who wish to add water to the bottom of the pit for extra moisture. I have done that with other offsets (never again) - not only did it take longer to get to temp you had to deal with some really nasty stuff afterward.

...I recall that feature more for those who wish to add water to the bottom of the pit for extra moisture. I have done that with other offsets (never again) - not only did it take longer to get to temp you had to deal with some really nasty stuff afterward.

RE: Adding water to the bottom of the cook chamber, that's an interesting concept that I don't hear about often. I had considered doing that for cold smoking but never actually tried it. I would think this would be more effective at adding humidity in the cook chamber vs. just a water pan, with some potentially significant drawbacks for a normal cook (e.g., at 250 to 300 degrees) including stealing heat/temperature and giving you more to clean up after.

The times when you added water to the bottom of the cook chamber, did it result in significantly better results for things like ribs, brisket, butts?

Here are a couple of shots, taken from inside the cook chamber facing toward the firebox. Looks like the height is almost 3 inches, and it shows some charred grease on the side of the "dam" from previous cooks.

7dEkTUs.jpeg

eZIqafu.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of shots, taken from inside the cook chamber facing toward the firebox. Looks like the height is almost 3 inches, and it shows some charred grease on the side of the "dam" from previous cooks.

7dEkTUs.jpeg

eZIqafu.jpeg

Thanks for those comparison pics. It would be great to have a separate thread dedicated to similar photos of pits by several leading fabricators.

Last edited:
I chose the 1969 over larger offsets for three reasons.

1. Larger units use more fuel, and good cooking wood is hard to come by in Idaho. (When I can get it I use apricot, plum, and other fruit wood from a nearby orchard.)
  2. I will never cook more than one brisket, or two pork butts, or three racks of ribs. My circle of family and friends is very close but not very big.
  3. The smaller 1969 fits perfectly on the BBQ-designated 10x10 slab on my patio. A bigger cooker could be squeezed in, but the 1969 is to my thinking just right.

The times when you added water to the bottom of the cook chamber, did it result in significantly better results for things like ribs, brisket, butts?

No difference except the headache of disposal.....

I never tried any "aromatics" as seen in suggestions.... fruit, etc. Plenty of humidity where I live anyway. :biggrin1:

Workhorse cheaped out on hardware for the door handle and it kept coming lose. A trip to Lowe's for a longer Grade 8 bolt and a couple of nuts to jam together on it ($3.00) did the trick. I added blue thread locker but it probably won't stand up to the heat and isn't necessary anyway.

I used metal locking nuts and spring washers when I replaced my door hardware and a wing nut for the stack.

Any idea of the temp in the firebox when cooking indirect?

Back