17th St BBQ Whole Hog Extravaganza Murphysboro Illinois - Picture Heavy.

Button73

Knows what a fatty is.
Hello everyone,

I had the opportunity to go to Mike Mills 17th Street BBQ Whole Hog Extravaganza Brisket Bonanza on Jan 19-21 in Murphysboro Illinois. The class had a lot of well known BBQ folks doing the demo's and lectures. Mike Mills and Amy Mills from 17th Street BBQ Murphysboro IL. Aric Nissen - Brand growth mgmt. Brad Orrison - The Shed Ocean Springs, MS. Pat Martin - Martins BBQ Joint Nolensville TN. Sam Jones - Skylight Inn Ayden NC. John Delpha - Belted Cow Bistro Essex Junction VT. Barry Sorkin - Smoque Chicago Il. Wayne Mueller - Louie Miller BBQ Taylor TX. Kat Kinsman - CNN Food eatocracy editor NY NY.

The class participants were made up of a mix of BBQ restaurant owners, Caterers, Competition Teams, Folks starting in the BBQ business and BBQ enthusiasts. The focus of this class was doing Whole Hog. We had 5 different whole hog presentations. A Beef Rib demonstration and a Brisket demonstration. The Tuesday of class composed of Brand growth and advertising. The Afternoon segment was an open Q&A session with all the participants. Tuesday's dinner finale was the 5 whole hogs and all the sides to go with it.

This was one of the best pure demonstration events that I have gone to. The Class environment is second to none and very professionally run. All the food that was demonstrated in class was eaten by the group. I ate great BBQ and met a lot of great BBQ people. I'm including some Pictures of the weekend.

Flew into St. Louis on Sunday arrived at 230PM. I went with my BBQ buddy Mr. L and some friends from NYC. Went to 3 local BBQ joints in 2hrs Bfeore we had to drive an hour and a half to Murphsyboro. We went to Ropers, Vernons and Sugarfire.

Ropers. We basically ordered everything on the menu.

e5ia.jpg

Forgot to take pics at Vernons.:doh: At Sugarfire - lentils, pork, brisket, turkey and green beans.
2bpj.jpg

17th St Warehouse where class was held.
9uua.jpg

mg0m.jpg

On Sunday night John Delpha demonstrating Whole Hog Porchetta. He deboned the little pig and then stuffed with more pork, renderloins and lots of fresh herbs.

l3ep.jpg

oreg.jpg

Monday's demonstration involved 5 whole hogs. This one was the one that Brad Orrison was prepping.

q3fs.jpg

Brad cooks his whole hog standing up, its mounted onto a frame.

q8eo.jpg

Pat Martin's Team demonstrating Butchering techniques.

bqmb.jpg

Lunch on Monday. Mike Mills and Amy Mills do a great job making sure everyone is well fed. No running out of food on this weekend. Hospitality is second to none at 17th St. Smoked Prime Rib, Collards and fresh baked biscuits.

lu9l.jpg

The smoker that Wayne Mueller used to make Beef Ribs.

qd83.jpg

vw8l.jpg

Brad Orison's Hog going into the smoker. I think it was around 4pm went all the hogs went into their cookers.

en9a.jpg

Sam Jones' team loading the firebox in his smoker. Mike mills provided post oak, cherry, apple, hickory for all the cooks.

wug3.jpg

Monday Night Dinner. John Delpha's Porchetta. This was a gorgeous presentation. It was mighty tasty.

evux.jpg

vuby.jpg

Wayne Mueller's Beef Ribs. These things were huge, he was serving them at 1.5lbs-2lbs.

iumk.jpg

9sps.jpg

hx4d.jpg

Porchetta with Pork Au Jus and Beef Ribs for Monday Dinner.

vfxk.jpg

o1wg.jpg

Sam Jones' Hog in the smoker.

2zem.jpg

Mike Mills Hog in the cooker. Mike did 2 hogs for this event for presentation purposes. flat and 1 that was resting on its hind quarters.

u5ts.jpg

Brad Orrison's hog.

afpv.jpg

Barry Sorkin did the Brisket Demo. It was fantastic...It didn't last long....

deqh.jpg

1ytx.jpg

Sam Jones' used this pit. All the wood logs were put into the burn barrels and then shovelled into the pits.

8196.jpg

One of Mike Mills Finished Hogs.

a8sx.jpg

Pat Martin watching over his hog.

192z.jpg

dar6.jpg

Pat's finished Hog. He pulls it right infront of you, puts it on a bun with coleslaw and some sauce. It was phenomenal.

lykp.jpg

Brad Orrison's finished hog. Pitmaster Hobbs getting ready to serve. I couldn't believe the color that the hog became. it was Mahogany perfection!

1n7f.jpg

Sam Jones getting his Hog ready for service. He chops the pork into small pieces and then chops up the skin of the hog and mixes it together. A great meal.

3o89.jpg

My plate. Chopped hog and beans.

ds3s.jpg

We had a great time, met a lot of people who enjoy BBQ and ate a lot of food.

One last stop before we got on the plane out of St. Louis. Went to Skip Steele's restaurant Bogarts.

0jer.jpg

Thanks for looking.

WOW! That looks like an amazing time! I got stuffed just looking at your pics! I would love to try cooking a porchetta sometime. I've had Mueller's Ribs one time at the restaurant in Taylor, TX. Every BBQ fan should do that once...at least.

Great photos!
As much as I love piggys I would have hurt myself on those beef ribs.
Beef ribs are my kryptonite... I love em! :grin:

Phu,

The bacon hanging under the hog was Brad and Hobson's treat for us all. Basically the bacon goes under the cavity, all the drippings fall onto the bacon and it smokes. They gave it out when they were serving their hog. It was like bacon candy. It was concentrated pork.

The whole class basically stayed by the pits until 2AM on Monday Night/Tuesday morning. We put the hogs in at about 5PM. It was just people from different places sitting around the fire, telling stories and enjoying a beverage. We all came from different backgrounds but our love for BBQ brought us to Murphysboro. One thing is certain, Mike and Amy Mills are great hosts. They make everyone feel at home. Their staff was phenomenal.

Cowgirl - here's another shot of Wayne Mueller's Beef ribs.

gfxl.jpg

A shot of Bacon Candy

hzgs.jpg

One of Mike Mill's whole hogs.

4gjj.jpg

The other one.

c6wvx.jpg

The sign inside the Banquet hall.

y7mg.jpg

gfxl.jpg

Thank you!!!! This shot makes me weak in my knees. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Beautiful ribs... :biggrin1: